May 04, 2019, 05:51 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbykingRichard
Hi All

I know you have raised concerns over the 5000mAh 6s coming with 12 gauge wire and XT60. I can assure you that this was not meant to be the case these are meant to come with XT90 and 10 gauge wires.

This issue has been rectified with the new batch that is being ordered. Apologise for the inconvenience.

If anyone wants to replace the connector please send me a PM and I will post out an XT90 to you.

Regards
Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077
Ah great news Richard!

Thanks for correcting this.
Don
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 01:15 PM
Bobbybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
Thanks Richard. I looked at the link you provided and noticed these have a max charge rate of 2.0C. Any reason why the charge rate is limited to 2.0C?
I have a number of packs that say they can be charged at 6 C, I never charge any packs that fast. Truth is I never charge any of my packs at more than one C. They seem to last a lot longer that way and they never get warm. Two C actually seems like a reasonable charge rate but I would still only charge them at one C just to extend their life.
May 05, 2019, 12:47 PM
Really love these new Rhino 6S 50C 1000s (and the 4S 50C 1300s and 1600s). Love them so much I bought some more (US warehouse out of stock now). Tons of power very little sag. Brought them to track meet yesterday after initial cycle on the bench then charging 3C all the way whole day. Anything less then 2C charging is a waste of time. As long as the cells are healthy there's nothing negative about charging at 3C. If the cells are not healthy I won't race with the pack anyways so 3C charging all the way for me no hold back.

6S Build Track Debut (LOL-Track) Samson Battle [FTD and Consec3] (2 min 14 sec)
May 07, 2019, 10:07 AM
Stressing my Rhino 6S 1000s harder. Pulled 85A bursts (85C, easily repeatable). Damn!

Comparing Props with SunFun DCH Motors (2 min 14 sec)
May 07, 2019, 01:41 PM
RM,

I can't even watch as fast as you fly!!!!
May 07, 2019, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
I can't even watch as fast as you fly!!!!
Haha. It doesn't help when I made the video to compare different props and cut-n-splice different flights with different props together in 1 clip. Perhaps turn-on subtitle? I add description as subtitle to label which piece is to do what. It's the baby blue props that pulled the 85A on punch-out and WOT-funnels, also shown at the end of flight statistics.
May 08, 2019, 02:28 PM
I noticed splicing but still........you fly looking through FPV goggles right?
May 08, 2019, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer
I noticed splicing but still........you fly looking through FPV goggles right?
Yeah no way to fly like that line-of-sight.
May 08, 2019, 08:53 PM
Regarding the 12 gauge wire and XT60 connectors. I agree that these will not work to test the battery at 50C long enough to find out if they really are 50C batteries. But does anyone actually run their batteries at 50C. At a 20C discharge rate you theoretically discharge the battery in 3 minutes which is a short flight. If you fly at a 50C discharge rate it is more like a missile launch. I try to set up my EDF jets to draw about 100 to 110 amps at max power. For a 5000mah battery this gives about a 20C discharge rate. So with throttle management, flight times would be 4 to 5 minutes. It would be nice to know that a battery labeled as 50C was actually 50C. Then I would feel comfortable about running it at 20C where the wire gauge is not so critical but definitely change to XT90 connectors. I have lots of 100 - 150A ESCs that come with 12 gauge battery leads.
May 08, 2019, 09:56 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Maybe a competition sailplane where you only run the motor for a short time but want the smallest lightest possible battery?
May 08, 2019, 11:49 PM
aka JetMan Joe
I run 160ish Amp EDF's quite a bit. I find it takes at least that to get up to 200mph (about as much as I can handle). Naturally I don't fly that fast the entire flight, it's more like the video on my blog where I'm lining up for low passes.

But that's really not the main focus in my case. The packs that can really meet the high C levels are the ones which typically deliver the highest voltage for the longer times at a given load. Unlike quads I don't need punch and recover so much as maintained voltage during extended periods of fast.

Also my type of flying tends to heat the power leads which if under sized act as a choke point when hot.

Joe
May 09, 2019, 07:37 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Dang Joe, I just watched your vid for the first time. Impressive...and I must add... our safety coordinator would have a word or two with you after that close pass. LOL

Rick
May 09, 2019, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lueke
Regarding the 12 gauge wire and XT60 connectors. I agree that these will not work to test the battery at 50C long enough to find out if they really are 50C batteries. But does anyone actually run their batteries at 50C. At a 20C discharge rate you theoretically discharge the battery in 3 minutes which is a short flight. If you fly at a 50C discharge rate it is more like a missile launch. I try to set up my EDF jets to draw about 100 to 110 amps at max power. For a 5000mah battery this gives about a 20C discharge rate. So with throttle management, flight times would be 4 to 5 minutes. It would be nice to know that a battery labeled as 50C was actually 50C. Then I would feel comfortable about running it at 20C where the wire gauge is not so critical but definitely change to XT90 connectors. I have lots of 100 - 150A ESCs that come with 12 gauge battery leads.
John,

Re the 12g wire and XT60s, although I agree that people do not use 50C continuously, the test for each pack should be identical and any variable should be removed if possible. The idea is to subject the pack to a harsh stress test with all the conditions identical for each test, including load, temperature and even where the pack is during test to ensure there is no cooling other than convection.
Many flyers criticize lab testing as they claim it does not represent "real world loading", but they are missing the point of the testing; The maker has claimed that the pack will deliver 50C continuously, what better test than to try holding them to it under closely controlled conditions?
Ideally with everything else identical, the only variable will be the result, ie the voltage, temperature rise and energy delivered.
Real world loading cannot be represented due to so many variables being present.
As HK admit to the 12G+ XT60 being a temporary glitch, perhaps the easiest compromise is to cut the power leads off close to the pack and replace them with 10G + XT90. Large modern packs are so low in IR that the leads and connectors can be a significant percentage of the total series resistance.

Wayne
May 09, 2019, 09:32 AM
Changing from XT60 to XT90 on an existing pack is very trivial and will indeed yield a measurable improvement. Changing pack wire is not for the uninitiated or inexperienced and doing so will have negligible benefit. With typical 4" leads, overall resistance will be reduced by .4mOhm. On a 6S, 3000 watt model pulling ~150 amps, the delta in wiring losses is a mere 9 watts, which is negligible and will result in no noticeable performance change. e.g. - I personally wouldn't change the leads from 12AWG to 10AWG on an existing pack but I would certainly swap out the connector!
May 09, 2019, 11:10 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Dang Joe, I just watched your vid for the first time. Impressive...and I must add... our safety coordinator would have a word or two with you after that close pass. LOL

Rick
Yeah, that walked the line pretty close. It was legit but I wouldn't try getting that close again, too much room for error. But that sure was a high adrenaline one off moment.

Joe

Quick Reply