Apr 29, 2019, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

3DLabPrint Edge 540 64"

Has anybody else done one of these?

I'm nearly done mine and I couldn't be happier. This is definitely their best design to date. It has been so easy to print and assemble...with my favorite natural PLA on my Prusa Mk3 I haven't had to deviate at all from the factory files.

Some really neat design features, such as the control surface hinging and hidden servos, the snap on landing gear block, the snap on wing/canopy assembly and the little connecting tabs they call "sure bonds". I didn't bother with a wing tube, to be honest I think the wing is probably plenty strong with the "sure bonds". My biggest concern at this point is the last couple pieces of the fuse that don't use the "sure bonds", that said it was clearly designed that way on purpose so I suspect it is strong enough.

It's going to be in the neighborhood of 2lbs heavier than the equivalent wood models, but the specified power systems are a little bit more powerful than what ExtremeFlight specs for this size of plane. Might not be super floaty but sometimes I enjoy the wind penetration and tumbling ability of slightly heavier models.

Very interested to hear what others have done for power and how people are enjoying flying them???
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 01:27 PM
Post pics. I don't mind if it's a bit heaver than equivalent balsa for some planes. I truly love my Extreme flight planes though. They are so freaking perfect I can't stop flying them.

Still, this one has a great look to it so I've been tempted.
Jun 13, 2019, 12:35 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Did you have any problems printing the cowl? I'm starting the 73 and none of their files will print the Arch cowl with out gaps. I've emailed Support but crickets.
Jun 14, 2019, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbobed
Did you have any problems printing the cowl? I'm starting the 73 and none of their files will print the Arch cowl with out gaps. I've emailed Support but crickets.
You mean actual printing or just slicing? If slicer shows correct path and you are getting gaps maybe all your printer needs is a good maintenance.
Jun 14, 2019, 06:25 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
The first time I printed I used the factory files but didn't pay any attention to the preview mode. After the print had gaps, went back and examined the preview mode in the slicer and the gaps were there. I then took their included gcode file and loaded it in to S3D in preview mod and the gaps were there also. Verified by printing the part and the gaps were there also.
Jun 14, 2019, 06:45 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Here's a screenshot from S3D using the factory files unedited.
Jun 14, 2019, 09:29 AM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Here's a screenshot from S3D using the factory files unedited.
try decreasing the layer height in those areas..
Jun 14, 2019, 09:58 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Thanks.
I've tried that down to the point my printer can't do it without jamming.
Also tried changing Extrusion multiplier and Extrusion width. My next try is to put some supports in those areas.
Jun 14, 2019, 04:20 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Thanks.
I've tried that down to the point my printer can't do it without jamming.
Also tried changing Extrusion multiplier and Extrusion width. My next try is to put some supports in those areas.
I don't know what material you are printing with, but if you are using ABS or ASA you could make a "slurry" of the material and dab a little into the areas. It would be the same color, although shinner, and much stronger.Good luck.
Jun 14, 2019, 06:16 PM
This looks like a 3d geometry issue. Why don't you load it into sketchup and manually pull couple vertices to create more ligament. Then it should be absolutely fine.
Jun 14, 2019, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japim
This looks like a 3d geometry issue. Why don't you load it into sketchup and manually pull couple vertices to create more ligament. Then it should be absolutely fine.
Yup. Not going to be able to slice your way out of that. The model will have to be tweaked.
Jun 15, 2019, 08:57 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
I don't know what material you are printing with, but if you are using ABS or ASA you could make a "slurry" of the material and dab a little into the areas. It would be the same color, although shinner, and much stronger.Good luck.
Unfortunately, PLA. 3Dlabprints are adverse to ABS.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:04 AM
Just add 4 top layers to that area of the print and it will fill it in.
Jun 15, 2019, 09:10 AM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japim
Would if I could. On the other hand, when I download free files that some kind soul has made available, I don't feel I have a right to expect support if I have a problem. But when I pay for a design from a company that touts their designs to be the best, I don't think it's unusual to expect some support.
Jun 15, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Would if I could. On the other hand, when I download free files that some kind soul has made available, I don't feel I have a right to expect support if I have a problem. But when I pay for a design from a company that touts their designs to be the best, I don't think it's unusual to expect some support.
Absolutely true. It's just a matter of the threshold of patience.

Currebtly I am in a trip but if you are willing I can try to fix it for you. Just ping me via PM on Sunday evening.

Quick Reply