This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 29, 2019, 06:41 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

A quick Duke update.

Normally, blogging about the assembly of a foam model would be something I probably wouldn't do. In the case of my new/old FlyFly Beechcraft Duke originally from RC Aerodyne, it's interesting to see how far such models have come in the last few years.

It's an interesting mix of nice molding, not so nice wooden parts and just plain bad instructions. The paint job is nowhere near the quality of a Horizon or Multiplex product, let alone the nice paint jobs which have been appearing on HobbyKing offerings. Let's just say it's stand-off scale. Way off.

In fairness, RC Aerodyne had the ARF versions with retracts done at the factory and the manual didn't reflect that. Even so, it didn't show such important details as the orientation of the motor firewalls. Found a photo on an old Duke build log right here on RCG and sho'nuff, I did it right! I checked using the surviving cowl from the wreck and the prop shafts lined up perfectly.

Since the photo below was taken showing the completed fuselage and partially complete wing halves, the wing has been joined and it's nearly complete. I have some E-flite 50-amp ESCs on backorder. Those should be here in a couple of weeks as will my new Callie Graphics decal set!

This model is being assembled with far greater care than the review unit and it will feature such niceties as magnetically attached nacelle tops. The kit came with eight disc magnets which are perfect fits in the dimples between the tops and bottoms. I hadn't noticed them until just yesterday! The rear of the tops are held by the magnets and the fronts are held by the firewalls and cowls. The cowls look as if they can be attached magnetically as well, so I'll play with that. Worst case would be having to attach them with a bit of foam glue.

I have a pair of nav lights from an FMS warbird, but they glow steadily and don't flash like those on a civilian aircraft might. I'll get some E-flite LEDs so that I can plug them into the E-flite controller I bought.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply