This thread is privately moderated by ricardobowe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 29, 2019, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Restoring a Waterlogged ECOMRC Cessna 195

I recently had my Cessna 195 go into the swamp at my field due to what I can only describe as a radio glitch. I lost control could not steer the aircraft and watch in horror as my big slow plane headed into the swamp. I had written it off and was looking for the next buy. The next day some intrepid members of my Flying Club waded out into the snake and gator infested water and retrieved the plane.

I was surprised when I got the call that the plane had been recovered. Even more good news; the wings were not warped and the body condition was fine after 24 hours in the water. They put it in the club house and I went to get it the next day. I am looking to rebuild it and this is where my blog begins; the day after.

The best thing that they could have done for me was to put the plane in the club house. It allowed the plane to dry evenly.

Step 1
The first effort is to access the damage. With the wings straight, I need to work on the balsa coating. I dont need to remove it I need to straighten it and hit it with thin CA
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2019, 04:36 PM
Hey Ya'll Watch This!
looking forward to seeing how it turns out, good luck. And I'm pretty shocked at how there seems to be only minute damage!
Apr 30, 2019, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
I was quite shocked too but this thing is a tank
Apr 30, 2019, 04:56 PM
Thread OP

Accessing the damage

I was surprised at how this plane held up after being dunked. By the time I arrived it had almost dried. I live in Florida and it is hot here so it should be no surprise that it dried so quickly

Remove the covering
Most of the covering had fallen off so it was a good time to strip all the covering which is what I did. This allowed me to properly clean the plane. I will use a different color purple for the trim that is readily available at the local hobby store.

Straightening the Balsa Sheeting
There was no warping of the wing except for the balsa sheeting which had a bow or two in the sheeting. Since there was a bow in the sheeting I will use water or a water and ammonia solution to soften the wood then add weight to straighten the bow in the wood. The right wing looks better than the left as there was only on area that had a bow in the wood. I have a spare left wing so I may take the lazy route and avoid the work for now

Removing and preserving the Motor
I have removed the motor as it was hydro locked. Removing the spark plug allowed me to drain the water in the cylinder. I will place the entire motor in tub of Marvel Mystery to prevent it from rusting up. I will take this time to also rebuild the carburetor

Remove the tail feathers

on issue the the plane getting wet is that the glue is coming loose. It is actually the glue pulling away from the wet fibers. as the wood dried it regained its strength and it became hard to pull out any hinges. This gave me one opportunity to remove the rudder. Since I will be recovering the entire plane i want to remove the covering on the wings. While the body was wet I was able to rock the rudder side to side to get it off.

Next step is to clean the interior of the plane which is filled with dried moss. I will use a paint brush and a vacuum to accomplish this
Last edited by ricardobowe; Apr 30, 2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply