Apr 29, 2019, 09:12 AM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Thread OP
Discussion

Options for a 6s 3D plane ?

Okay just as it says, what would some good otions be for a 6s 3d plane, I have wanted for years the EF Edge 540 60" i had the 48" it was always a great plane, I ended up with a 51" AJ slick and love it, but want something bigger. I had a 74" 12 S edge 540 from Aeroworks and hated it, it just felt heavy to me, landed heavy couldn't slow it down or it stall, came in around 12/13 pounds Everyone says the weights of the newer planes are lighter. less heavy wood more carbon to stiffen them and make lighter.
Honestly having to have 2) 6s packs wasn't what I wanted, i really wanted a just 6 s set up. or even a 8s would be okay using 2) 4s.

Have considered the new Flex RV8, its not all full blown 3d plane but it will do most anything i can make a plane do . suggests a 6S 6200mah but seems they having some hinge issues with the plane. plane is around 10 pounds.
https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3570a.htm

Or the Flex Cap 60" plane, flys on 2800 - 5200 mAh 6S, got to see one in person fly Friday, seemed to fly well and pretty long flight time. 6.5 pounds.
https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3370.htm

if i stuck with a 60" plane with EF i would probably got with one of the two newer Extra 300s just cause i love the color schemes, even tho im not a extra fan i know they fly well, i have always loved edges and the Aj slicks.

https://extremeflightrc.com/60-Extra...ue_p_5607.html

A lil bigger i would maybe go with the MXS i have seen guys fly them they seem to tumble and snap great, i know a guy with the 64" and seems to fly nice
https://extremeflightrc.com/64-MXS-E...ack_p_462.html

I wish they were more companys that offered bigger planes as ARFS or even BNF, I guess they figure most folks wants to be able to pick everything they want for the plane, motor, esc, servos. I love foam planes cause i seem to fly them more fearless and not worry about hitting the ground. maybe one day I can get over that fear with balsa.
im good with a 4-6 min flight time, most mine now only 4 minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions. was at a event over the weekend and i love watching all the big gas planes fly but i had a bad 1st experience with a gas plane not sure i just got a bad plane altogether or what. guess if i was around a club of guys that flew them and could help me maybe my experience would had been better. i fly by myself for most part as all the local clubs are about dead.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2019, 09:49 AM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Okay just as it says, what would some good otions be for a 6s 3d plane, I have wanted for years the EF Edge 540 60" i had the 48" it was always a great plane, I ended up with a 51" AJ slick and love it, but want something bigger. I had a 74" 12 S edge 540 from Aeroworks and hated it, it just felt heavy to me, landed heavy couldn't slow it down or it stall, came in around 12/13 pounds Everyone says the weights of the newer planes are lighter. less heavy wood more carbon to stiffen them and make lighter.
Honestly having to have 2) 6s packs wasn't what I wanted, i really wanted a just 6 s set up. or even a 8s would be okay using 2) 4s.

Have considered the new Flex RV8, its not all full blown 3d plane but it will do most anything i can make a plane do . suggests a 6S 6200mah but seems they having some hinge issues with the plane. plane is around 10 pounds.
https://www.flexinnovations.com/product-p/fpm3570a.htm

Or the Flex Cap 60" plane, flys on 2800 - 5200 mAh 6S, got to see one in person fly Friday, seemed to fly well and pretty long flight time. 6.5 pounds.

if i stuck with a 60" plane with EF i would probably got with one of the two newer Extra 300s just cause i love the color schemes, even tho im not a extra fan i know they fly well, i have always loved edges and the Aj slicks.

A lil bigger i would maybe go with the MXS i have seen guys fly them they seem to tumble and snap great, i know a guy with the 64" and seems to fly nice

I wish they were more companys that offered bigger planes as ARFS or even BNF, I guess they figure most folks wants to be able to pick everything they want for the plane, motor, esc, servos. I love foam planes cause i seem to fly them more fearless and not worry about hitting the ground. maybe one day I can get over that fear with balsa.
im good with a 4-6 min flight time, most mine now only 4 minutes.

Any ideas or suggestions. was at a event over the weekend and i love watching all the big gas planes fly but i had a bad 1st experience with a gas plane not sure i just got a bad plane altogether or what. guess if i was around a club of guys that flew them and could help me maybe my experience would had been better. i fly by myself for most part as all the local clubs are about dead.
Can't beat Balsa for flying better.

Frankly you cannot go wrong with any of the EF/3DHS planes in the 60 range. They all fly great. Pick the one you like best and fly the C**p out of it.

If you want something a little different then get a Flex Ventique. I'm on my second one and it is a definite favourite of mine. It is a little bigger than the EF 60 size and flies a presents bigger too, but still uses the same 3300 -4000 6s lipos.

For a light a floaty feeling 12s model, the 3DHS 76 Edge does all the things you said your Aeroworks wouldn't. Very light, floats great in 3D and again uses a 3300 12s set up. Had the Edge, currently flying a 74 Slick and they are both awesome planes.

Just my 2 cents but that's where I would look. Happy hunting

Chris
Apr 29, 2019, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
Can't beat Balsa for flying better.

Frankly you cannot go wrong with any of the EF/3DHS planes in the 60 range. They all fly great. Pick the one you like best and fly the C**p out of it.

If you want something a little different then get a Flex Ventique. I'm on my second one and it is a definite favorite of mine. It is a little bigger than the EF 60 size and flies a presents bigger too, but still uses the same 3300 -4000 6s lipos.

For a light a floaty feeling 12s model, the 3DHS 76 Edge does all the things you said your Aeroworks wouldn't. Very light, floats great in 3D and again uses a 3300 12s set up. Had the Edge, currently flying a 74 Slick and they are both awesome planes.

Just my 2 cents but that's where I would look. Happy hunting

Chris
What electronics are you flying in your Flex Ventique, or is it the super combo from them? seems like any of those planes end up around the $800 ranger when you get everything you need. I like buying used when i can cause hate to build or assembly planes.
Apr 29, 2019, 12:56 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Quote:
What electronics are you flying in your Flex Ventique, or is it the super combo from them? seems like any of those planes end up around the $800 ranger when you get everything you need. I like buying used when i can cause hate to build or assembly planes.
I know what you mean. I was a bit short of cash when I bought my first and all the same electronics are in the replacement.

Motor. Dualsky EA 5060. 470 KV Version 1 on sale.
Prop. 17 x 8 JFX prop
ESC. 2nd hand Talon 90.
Receiver. FrSky V8 II 8 CH
Servos. Used Align 615 on the elevator and ailerons with a used Align 620 on the rudder.

Lipos are a mix of Gens Ace and 4-Max 3700s.

All used or budget gear and has proved excellent in use. Certainly worth looking around. The Dualsky motors are excellent value as are FrSky radios.

Much easier to find budget gear for 6s models and do well

Chris
Apr 29, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
I know what you mean. I was a bit short of cash when I bought my first and all the same electronics are in the replacement.

Motor. Dualsky EA 5060. 470 KV Version 1 on sale.
Prop. 17 x 8 JFX prop
ESC. 2nd hand Talon 90.
Receiver. FrSky V8 II 8 CH
Servos. Used Align 615 on the elevator and ailerons with a used Align 620 on the rudder.

Lipos are a mix of Gens Ace and 4-Max 3700s.

All used or budget gear and has proved excellent in use. Certainly worth looking around. The Dualsky motors are excellent value as are FrSky radios.

Much easier to find budget gear for 6s models and do well

Chris
Thanks for the info, good deals to be found if your not in hurry. I normally try to look around. i fly with a ix12. all spek. rx's i normally have one or two extras around.
Apr 30, 2019, 02:43 PM
Flex are now releasing a Mamba 60 e.

Batts should be on target and flying envelope too.
Apr 30, 2019, 03:34 PM
My take on this...

For 60" size you can't go wrong with Extreme Flight. However if you want to go bigger, then you're limited with options.
- 69" Turbo Raven from Extreme Flight will most likely be excellent plane, but it's not out yet. Price is question.
- Pilot has their 67" range. Haven't seen one fly personally, videos & forum discussions give a bit mixed feeling. But talent is talent....
- Then there is the GoldWing planes in ~68" size. Design is modern and at least the Sbach flies well based on personal experience. Pricing is very aggressive in Europe.

74" fuses are frankly too big for 6S. At least I would like to go 10S or 12S with 74" plane.
Apr 30, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late99
My take on this...

For 60" size you can't go wrong with Extreme Flight. However if you want to go bigger, then you're limited with options.
- 69" Turbo Raven from Extreme Flight will most likely be excellent plane, but it's not out yet. Price is question.
- Pilot has their 67" range. Haven't seen one fly personally, videos & forum discussions give a bit mixed feeling. But talent is talent....
- Then there is the GoldWing planes in ~68" size. Design is modern and at least the Sbach flies well based on personal experience. Pricing is very aggressive in Europe.

74" fuses are frankly too big for 6S. At least I would like to go 10S or 12S with 74" plane.
Thanks, That Raven looks sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Marshall
Flex are now releasing a Mamba 60 e.

Batts should be on target and flying envelope too.
What! Wow really.. Thanks, I guess that is what the special video from SEFF tomorrow will be all about. hope so that will be nice.. hope price isn't to bad. a 60 E bipe would be totally awesome. Got to see the gas 70 mamba fly over weekend always enjoy watching it. I had the mamba 10 till something happened and it crashed.
Apr 30, 2019, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Okay just as it says, what would some good otions be for a 6s 3d plane, I have wanted for years the EF Edge 540 60" had Honestly having to have 2) 6s packs wasn't what I wanted, i really wanted a just 6 s set up. Do you currently have any 6S packs/what size? To have any fun, you'll want minimum of 2, and more like 4-6 packs to fly any 6S size plane. Then you'll have packs for both a 60ish" plane, and can run two in series in a 7x" plane

Two club members have these and love them. They fly well on a 3700-5000 6S pack. One guy is a good 3D flyer; he uses 4400's. 3D is not the other guy's thing, and he uses 5000's, and it flies very well on those.

I wish they were more companys that offered bigger planes as ARFS or even BNF, I guess they figure most folks wants to be able to pick everything they want for the plane, motor, esc, servos. im good with a 4-6 min flight time, most mine now only 4 minutes.

Old-school 70" planes and power systems were flying on 6S 5000's, but you had to run a big prop and pull a lot of amps (90-100), which was hard on batteries and components. Newer 30-35cc e-power systems are all pretty much 12S setups--my Xpwr35 pulls 80ish amps and has awesome power on a 74" Laser. That 2-battery setup can use the single 6S pack from a smaller plane in series for a larger one

If you're fine with the shorter flight times as you noted, electric is great--instant power and throttle response, clean, quiet. Just short flight times--my 74" Laser gets 5.5min on 12S 3700's. You can fly any of the 60" EF planes on 3300-3700-4000 size packs, as well as the 84" Turbo Bushmaster. When you're ready, these packs can then go into any of their 7x" planes in series A couple of eFlites new EDF's also call for a 6S 3700 Don't rule out gas--a DA35 or VV40 in the 7x" planes is pretty darn good power, and can get 12-15 minute flight times easily.
Apr 30, 2019, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
If you're fine with the shorter flight times as you noted, electric is great--instant power and throttle response, clean, quiet. Just short flight times--my 74" Laser gets 5.5min on 12S 3700's. You can fly any of the 60" EF planes on 3300-3700-4000 size packs, as well as the 84" Turbo Bushmaster. When you're ready, these packs can then go into any of their 7x" planes in series A couple of eFlites new EDF's also call for a 6S 3700 Don't rule out gas--a DA35 or VV40 in the 7x" planes is pretty darn good power, and can get 12-15 minute flight times easily.
yeah, I had a very very bad first experience with gas, if i join this kinda local club (hour and 20 min away) no local clubs to me.. I might try gas again cause few of the members fly gas and know how to tune. I ended up with a used Aero works 74" Edge 540, with a dle30 and first flight after many many runs at home making sure i could crank it and had the idle and everything right and kill switch and all working correctly 1st flight the plug pulled out of the cylinder and i had a dead stick. I rebuild the DLE30 with new cylinder ,m ring, gaskets. i just never could get it to rune right and was worried i would burn up the engine so i took it off and sold it, converted to electric wanted a 6 or 8s setup but everyone sait needed more power so ended up with a XF 30cc electric motor, 90amp esc and 2) 6s packs to make up 12s.. Plenty of power but even with gas the plane always felt heavy, 13.5 pounds gas 12.5 electric. ended up selling it piece by piece and then traded air frame for air frame for a 51" AJ slick. witch i fly and love. just like something bigger.
Apr 30, 2019, 06:59 PM
My first balsa was a EF 48" Edge.
Now I have a 60" Laser as well. Does it all well.
Would replace it tomorrow.
My next plane will be the 64" MXS due to the shorter moment and its ability to tumble.
There's my 2 cents
Apr 30, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Z
My first balsa was a EF 48" Edge.
Now I have a 60" Laser as well. Does it all well.
Would replace it tomorrow.
My next plane will be the 64" MXS due to the shorter moment and its ability to tumble.
There's my 2 cents
That is one of the ones i was thinking about, because of that.. just got decide if i really want balsa or if i want another foam plane. ive had quite a few of balsa planes over the years. Since going electric in 2006.
E flite Mini edge 540
E flite edge 540 BP ( profile fuse)
E flite Mini Showtime
Paul Swany Burritto ( 3d profile glow plane) Kinda wish i had kept that one and went electric with it.
EF Yak 54E (the very first one)
3DHS 42" Aj slick
Another 3DHS 42" AJ slick
Great planes Electrostik
Extreme flight 48" Edge 540 ( just sold last month at swap meet was old and kinda beat on)
3DHS 51" AJ slick
Aeroworks 74" Edge 540

Flown my dads 3DHS Extra 300 47" ( i think, the old yellow and black one)
Ton of foam planes. Smaller ones.
now i have a Timber X
51" AJ slick
52" Electro stik
F27 evo
Efx Racer
42" 3D foamy 3DHS aj slick
mini gremlin

had a Mamba 10 loved it, hate it died on take off on the 16th flight
Apr 30, 2019, 07:46 PM
If you are thinking 3D XA, balsa is the only way to go if your skills and wallet permit it.
They don't flex and fly easy better.
I love my twisted hobby crack yak, but it's certainly not in the same ball park.
They say bigger flies better, and I'm only a couple of years into this but the 60" flies completely different from the 48.
I think the Laser is a staple for any hangar.
Just does it all so well
May 01, 2019, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Z
If you are thinking 3D XA, balsa is the only way to go if your skills and wallet permit it.
They don't flex and fly easy better.
I love my twisted hobby crack yak, but it's certainly not in the same ball park.
They say bigger flies better, and I'm only a couple of years into this but the 60" flies completely different from the 48.
I think the Laser is a staple for any hangar.
Just does it all so well
I only fly 60in 3d planes now also. too much fun. I'm flying the AJ laser but had the ef laser also.
May 01, 2019, 04:37 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
as for the 6S 60" range of planes, the 60" AJ laser is by far the best electric plane i have ever flown. for a 6S 30cc class plane, stick with a 73" AJ laser, or a 3dhs bird as they will be light enough for 6S setups.

Quick Reply