Aug 07, 2019, 05:45 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
And last check before maiden and go flying is the weigh... 606 grs. with a 1.000 mah. 3S lipo battery... not same weigh as pure sailplane like original called by Master Renaud of 565 grs. but 40 grs. more... still not bad at all... my 2 mts. electric Mini Bird weigh over quarter kilo more ready to go and feels really light on air.. so this one must fly amazing...friend Agustin told me this morning that he finished the covering job on his Ed´s 3 mts. version and choosed painting the fuse with royal blue to match the color wing and tail scheeme...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 08:02 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Friend Agustin´s Ed´s 3mts. Esprit is almost done..., he will add another paint blue coat to the fuse, I will do LSF logo and ship name for him and both Esprits are ready to maiden...
Manolo.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:14 AM
AMA 179-CD
Both airplanes look awesome! Most likely they'll need the throttle mixed with some down elevator when powered. And I'll bet you'll consider adding spoilers when that undercambered airfoil just keeps on gliding forever... (grin). Ed
Aug 22, 2019, 04:23 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Hi Ed, sorry not post sooner but as said sometimes before.. one is real busy during summer... but on next month got vacations son expect lot of flying...and of course, wait a fine day to mainden friend Agustin and our smaller Esprit...about spoilers option, he did on your enlarged version... with the KISS actuation system...he told me that tail looks huge and need to add some ballast to the nose to achieve a good CG per initials launch...as tail is removable always there is time to build another smaller one if you consider it or do some plans mods and should be an issue... anyway want to test and see how it flies before...
Agree with you that with that undercambered airfoil must fly really good at a single speed or looks like that during non powered flight and really cool during no wind or light breezes days... no doub that modern FB or new airfoils will provide better performance during more actives meteos...
After over two months without flying, and as off topic my US buddy Keith Williams and me went to go flying on our local, little coastal sand dunes slope... as during summer beach is full of people had to wait till sunset and tighlight to go flying, did the maiden of friend night flying HK Walrus and my VTPR Dream Flight Ahi...lift was really light and sometimes even there was no lift at all, but Ahi could stay up with just a sigh breath...
Best regards buddies.

Manolo.

(6 min 34 sec)
Aug 22, 2019, 09:51 AM
AMA 179-CD
Hi Manolo, yes Lee Renaud wanted lots of rudder authority on his original Esprit, and in comparing the dimensions with his later designs show just how large it is! Most likely mods to reduce the tail size will be beneficial and I'll get to work on a smaller and much lighter version similar to the Grand Esprit. A "quick fix" Augustin might try is to simply chop-off an inner rib bay on each v-tail side, that would result in a size quite similar to the Grand Esprit. Cheers, Ed

Esprit WS 132 inches
Fuse 56.5 inches
Tail moment 32.3 inches (wing TE to end of fuselage)
V-Tail span 44.5 inches

Grand esprit WS 132 inches
Fuse 52.75 inches
Tail moment 31.5 inches (wing TE to end of fuselage)
V-Tail span 37 inches
Aug 23, 2019, 08:21 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Ok..., tx for the tip Ed... will told to friend Agustín... but as said before... want to do the maiden before and see how they performs...
Still wondering if built mine when do with ailerons or newer airfoil...let´s see..
Manolo.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:55 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Some time without posting on the build thread...so let me share with you all that yesterday Sunday friend Agustin and me went to the local flying club runway and maiden our Esprits...meteo was really good... a very light west breeze, some friends waiting there , meet with Mika, a Findland sailplaner that lives in Spain, take some coffee on a road shack and went flying... first as always is the pics session cause never, never your sailplane will be as pretty than now... it was time to maiden our traditional e version Esprit and actual Ed´s 3mts. version done by Agustín...
Sep 18, 2019, 04:35 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
More static pics... on same of them if evident the difference between original Renaud´s Esprit and actual friend Ed´s 3 mts. versión ...what a beauties are they..
Sep 18, 2019, 04:41 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Classical, timeless elliptical forms are evident and enhances not only the look but the performance of these ships...
Sep 19, 2019, 04:41 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Difference of sizes are truly evidents on the pics but both model shown the same Renaud´s heritage of the Esprits family..
Sep 19, 2019, 04:47 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
After the photo session we begin the maiden flights.. very light 10-15 km. hour west wind at 10´30 a.m. with initials thermals activity...not really much but along the day boomers start to show evidencens.. nice climbouts on both models... actually on mine the little one half power is more than enough for a steep climbing... with full power may expect a Saturn V launch.. maybe another day but not today..., friend Agustín big Esprit have the same propulsion system that he uses on the original Grand Esprit and of course is more than enough for this larger version too..
Sep 19, 2019, 11:02 AM
AMA 179-CD
Both aircraft look really great! The bigger bird appears much larger proportionally and you know I'm wild with anticipation to hear how the flying characteristics are. At these initial stages, we both know everyone is happy to get them up and down without incident. Later on, like all precision instruments, the tuning process will reveal more. So far, a great success! Ed
Sep 25, 2019, 08:38 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Check your email Ed... send more info of interest.

With the superb meteo conditions of very light wind the Esprit reach a out of sight or almost heigh in seconds.. and doesn´t want to came down if you don´t force it to do... the flying speed is almost the same all time, very, very low and pretty sensitive to lift or sink... good handling too..
Sep 25, 2019, 08:41 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
With same 1.000 mah. 3S battery we did two flights without charging...landing is very gentle too but try to land on the spot and could cause have no spoilers and with the ground effect want glide forever... sometimes use same folding prop at low rpm as a dinamical brakes and it does the job..good landing skids are mandatory on our local club runway for belly and scuff protection and now this little eforts are paid off..
Sep 30, 2019, 07:49 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Thread OP
Some more pics for sharing...belly protection and skids are mandatory on the local club runway as said... also the use of Reisenauer nose cone and blades fork is great cause it fold the propeller blades on any position and helps reduce drag ...

Quick Reply