Feb 03, 2005, 05:19 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Adrian- What size wheels are those on your cub?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2005, 06:59 PM
Father, Skydiver, Photographer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Bill - Where are you man? The general public require pics!!!
LOL, I have Daddy duty at the moment, once the boys are in bed I'll have a little time to work on it. I won't be able make rock'n progress like you until tomorrow though. Some of us have to work 'real' jobs, not flying about here and there... and some of have a strong envy of those of you who get to do such things...
Feb 03, 2005, 07:14 PM
Ahh, some of us are envious of those doing daddy duty..

Do you know if the tabs on struts are supposed to be made from the strip of aluminum included with the kit?
Feb 03, 2005, 07:21 PM
Father, Skydiver, Photographer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Ahh, some of us are envious of those doing daddy duty..

Do you know if the tabs on struts are supposed to be made from the strip of aluminum included with the kit?
I would not trade my 3 boys for the world. They are a lot of fun at times... a lot of work at others, but always a joy to their mother and me.

I'm not sure on the tabs for the struts, I've not made it that far. Adrian?

BK
Feb 03, 2005, 07:55 PM
Bill and Adrian,

Thanks for the replies on the glow conversion. I'm an absolute newbee (pun intended) to electrics, and it is all still very mysterious. Thinking seriously about building this kit, and I'd definately want to do an electric version. Anyone have a good online source for the motor, battery and speed controls required for this kit?

Brian C
Feb 03, 2005, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
I would not trade my 3 boys for the world. They are a lot of fun at times... a lot of work at others, but always a joy to their mother and me.

I'm not sure on the tabs for the struts, I've not made it that far. Adrian?

BK
The strip of aluminum is for the strut tabs.

Adrian
Feb 03, 2005, 08:24 PM
Adrian - got it. I figured it was, so I went ahead and used it for that.

Brian C - I will be using an AXI 2212/34 Brushless motor for this bird.. It is much more than needed, but I am simulating a backwoods, 210hp super cub. The AXI will be coupled with a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 Speed controller and then some 2 cell 1500 Lipo's..

Motor can be had here. - http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...d=356&catid=48

Speed controller here - http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...d=133&catid=17 This is the 25.. A 10 would probably work and is a little cheaper..

Batteries can be had here - http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...d=644&catid=74

Being that your a newb into electrics - I would suggest going to Lipo from the get-go, if you are able to afford them, as NiMh will be around a while, but Lipo's are oh so nice.

Servo's - HS55's will work fine - that is what I will be using in mine.. You can get them from many places - or right here.. http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...d=618&catid=13

Now - that is for a brushless setup - much more power..

For a standard speed 300 brushed setup - cost would be probably close to less than half of the cost of brushless, however, I don't do brushed soo..
Feb 04, 2005, 02:04 PM
Adrian-

What size wheels are you using on your Cub?
Feb 04, 2005, 10:45 PM
TRAM,

I have Dave Brown 2 inchers on mine. I had to use a piece of brass tube to reduce the size of the axel holes though.

Adrian
Feb 05, 2005, 01:22 AM
OK, looks like i may want to use 3 inchers..
Feb 05, 2005, 07:02 PM

Tundra tires

Tram. If you want it to look like REAL tundra tires you need to use the trexler's. They simulate small J-3 and PA-18 wheels/tires wery well. No other choice for me. You will not get the look you desire with Dave Browns or dubros.

Scott
Feb 05, 2005, 07:48 PM
Agree with Scott about the Trexlers. Wish they would mount them on narrower wheels, though for the cubs. The wheel part is a little too large to be scale.

Here are some pic's of my 60" one with 3 1/2" Trexlers, to give you an idea--.

In these shots, the air pressure was low, so the actual diameter was closer to 3". They look better when you pump them up! They even bounce very realistically when you land too hard. I'm thinking of getting some 4" ones for it!

AmpAce
Feb 05, 2005, 08:43 PM
Yeh, I think I will put 3inchers on the 40" they should look right.

I wound up with some 4.5er's like this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXD767&P= for the 80" and am wondering if I should have gone a lil' bigger.. I still can - as they are not out of the package yet..
Feb 05, 2005, 09:01 PM
Tram, Those 4.5's look very good, a lot like Trexlers, but better wheels. Those are over an inch larger in diameter that the ones recommended for the 1/5 scale Sig Cub, which is a slightly larger model, so they may be close to what you need. Let's see, if my math is right they would be 22.5 inchers if enlarged to real size, at 1/5 scale.

Do you know what they weigh, the Tower site doesn't list the weight?

AmpAce
Feb 05, 2005, 09:14 PM
Tehy look pretty decent held up next to the Cub.. I am not sure how they will work though, they weigh almost 13oz..

I was just looking at the 4.5" Trexlers - I wonder how they would hold up on the cub - they're only 3oz.. I could take these back and tell the hobby shop to order me some replacements.
Last edited by Tram; Feb 05, 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply