Apr 26, 2019, 01:29 PM
I buy ikarus piccolo/Eco8 stuf
Thread OP
Discussion

want to hire someone GREAT at CAD for 3D printing

I have 2 small projects that are beyond my skill level. I would like to restore a couple of old rc helicopters and the canopies are too tough for me!

the two helicopters are:
Ikarus Eco piccolo (original plastic canopy, not the foam one)
Ikarus Eco-8

The canopies will obviously have to be split into a couple of pieces to be able to 3D print without support material. No more than 2 walls thick (.8mm).

If you are up for the project let me know. I am just a fellow rc enthusiast so I can't afford to pay a huge amount, just let me know your price. I have a RARE assembled eco piccolo canopy I can ship but if you break it you buy it! and it is paper thin and basically impossible to find.

I will have to track down an eco-8 canopy.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2019, 07:17 PM
The old days you make a wood pattern
Works every time even today

Dave
Apr 26, 2019, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
I could probably do something like that but I dont possess those skills either! I dont have a vacuum former either. If I could find someone who could do it and make me a bunch of canopies that would be awesome!
Apr 26, 2019, 08:49 PM
The only way to getting the skill is by doing
As far vacuum former it no more vacuum cleaner and a heat .
The biggest problem is finding the vacuum plastic just look on internet

My self I made my live by doing work I had no formal training

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek
I could probably do something like that but I dont possess those skills either! I dont have a vacuum former either. If I could find someone who could do it and make me a bunch of canopies that would be awesome!
Apr 26, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
I hear ya! I actually tried my hand at making a vacuum forming table one time. I may just try it again!
Apr 27, 2019, 07:43 AM

want to hire someone GREAT at CAD for 3D printing

It doesn’t be difficult to me but depends of the good info you can provide about the canopy and this need attention:
0. Take general photos of the canopy (side,up,down, angular front and rear ) without the helicopter, including interior surface of the canopy
1.put the canopy over a paper grid (1x1cm) and Take photos from side, up, down and front . If you take the pics from 2 or 3m with a good camera with a zoom lens will be perfect because it reduce perspective deformation
2. Draw the silhouette (side, front and up) on paper and then scan at greyscale and 200dpi
3.take pictures of details and holes for screws or bars .
4. Take dimensions of holes diameter and position using caliper.
5. Take specific critical dimensions with the caliper

If you can do that I can help you. Just the good set of photos can help me to ask you wish dimensions are critical.

About the money, I prefer to the see photos (0) to get a real idea if I can do it or not. Anyway Money is not the point.

Good luck
Apr 27, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
I have found someone that has an unassembled brand new canopy. Shipping from Hawaii I believe so it'll be a while before it comes in. I will post all the pictures I can here.

I dont want to bite off more than I can chew cost wise! If you have ever saw a 500 size helicopter canopy that's exactly what it is!
Apr 27, 2019, 01:57 PM
The Junk Man
I do a lot of 3d printing. But this is really a job for vacuum forming. 2-wall 3d printed plastic is going to be VERY fragile, even printed in tougher plastics like PETG.

Tom

PS: And even printing half-shells of those is going to require supports.
Apr 27, 2019, 02:27 PM
The fragility doesn’t worry me. The weight could be excessive. When you have the canopy , weight it . Then with a simple model I could know if the projected 3d printed weight it's worth continuing.
Apr 28, 2019, 12:44 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
May I suggest you contact Park Flyer Plastics? If you are willing to pay for his time and you have a master to use, I am sure he could do it. And he is darn good at it....
Apr 30, 2019, 10:49 AM
The other way if you have old canopy even if damage . You can make a mold using plaster of paris. After making mold just a a little sanding then use the mold for vacuum forming.

I have You spent a lot of time on making 3D drawings.

I worked where CNC matching is the biggest saving is not but cost of labor. It cheaper to use low cost labor than highly silk and costly.
A simple way is a machine tool call a Automatic screw machine faster than CNC but takes highly silk labor to set up the machine.
Today the collages are turning programmers aka engineers getting the cost to drop.
Skill labor in old day would take years of collages then 10 years working.

Dave

FYI if look back before the 1970's we had draftmen , desinger and engineers today the all call engineers and lower cost labor with tech name.

In past
1. Desinger was biggest paid
2. Engineers would check the desinger work and I would not fail
3. Draftmen would make ready for MFG and public copy and low cost

Quote:
I have 2 small projects that are beyond my skill level. I would like to restore a couple of old rc helicopters and the canopies are too tough for me!

the two helicopters are:
Ikarus Eco piccolo (original plastic canopy, not the foam one)
Ikarus Eco-8

The canopies will obviously have to be split into a couple of pieces to be able to 3D print without support material. No more than 2 walls thick (.8mm).

If you are up for the project let me know. I am just a fellow rc enthusiast so I can't afford to pay a huge amount, just let me know your price. I have a RARE assembled eco piccolo canopy I can ship but if you break it you buy it! and it is paper thin and basically impossible to find.

I will have to track down an eco-8 canopy.
Last edited by smithdoor; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:13 AM.
Apr 30, 2019, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I do agree that vacuum forming is probably the "best" route to go but... there is a reason for me wanting it 3D printed.

I plan to do up almost the entire helicopter in 3D printed parts and I want the canopy to be one of those parts. If it has to be vacuum formed then it would require a whole other set of skill and tools for a person to recreate the helicopter.

I am not super worried about the weight. I don't know how many of you have seen the 3Dlabprint airplanes but theses are huge RC airplanes that are completely 3D printed and only have a single layer of skin!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post32909323
Apr 30, 2019, 12:56 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Draw it up, 3d print it, then use that to create a vacuum formed part. I agree that 3D printing an actual canopy would be very heavy and extremely fragile.
Apr 30, 2019, 01:47 PM
3D will work but the cost will high for equipment and the drawing files

Dave

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I do agree that vacuum forming is probably the "best" route to go but... there is a reason for me wanting it 3D printed.

I plan to do up almost the entire helicopter in 3D printed parts and I want the canopy to be one of those parts. If it has to be vacuum formed then it would require a whole other set of skill and tools for a person to recreate the helicopter.

I am not super worried about the weight. I don't know how many of you have seen the 3Dlabprint airplanes but theses are huge RC airplanes that are completely 3D printed and only have a single layer of skin!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post32909323
Apr 30, 2019, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
I have 2 3D printers, been 3D printing for about 6 years. I do a lot of CAD stuff, I am self taught. I use Autodesk Fusion 360.

I just haven't been able to nail down complex curved shapes yet. I might take a stab at it myself. I have it figured out in my head how it would be need to be oriented to be able to print without any support material.

I don't think it will be as heavy or as fragile as everyone thinks it will be.

Quick Reply