May 03, 2019, 02:47 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
Very nice! I am looking forward to the chapter where you explain how to get a good surface for painting :-)
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 07:07 AM
My latest all foam model, canopy and pilot figure from park flyer plastics. Downloaded plans from outer zone. You can build any model with foam inexpensively.

Nice work on the Connie, I have a all foam Connie that is bigger and 16#. Will buy this kit in the future. Working on the Albatross now.

Tony
May 03, 2019, 03:53 PM
Sparks, may I ask what your Connie's wing area is? I'm still trying to get a feel for wing areas, loadings, and power for foam.

CD
May 05, 2019, 04:23 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The wing area is 507 sq. in.
May 05, 2019, 04:28 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The Constellation would look stupid with a fat trailing edge so we have to taper the bottom sheeting so the top sheeting will bond correctly.
To do this; the trailing edge has to be held flat against the work surface for sanding.
Step one is to support the other end of the wing then protect the ribs with masking tape.
The tape will act as a guide for the sanding block and the angle it will make.
May 05, 2019, 04:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Wired and ready to go.
I tend to go a little heavy on the wire not knowing about power loss and heat.
I probably could have saved an ounce going lighter but upgrading the gauge means building another wing.
May 06, 2019, 07:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Top sheeting

Start with the center section when you sheet the top of the wing this will give you an edge to align the outer panels to.
This close up shows how the top sheeting mates at the trailing edge.
May 06, 2019, 07:59 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Being prepared is key here.

I used masking tape to hold the wiring ends in place so they will be exactly where I need them later.
Heavier weights have been added to the center section to keep the wing from moving and an additional sheet under them prevents dents from the extra weight.
The marks on the leading edge are there so i would not have to guess where to put the small weights.
As for the wedges under the wing ; thatís just me getting in a hurry.
I could have bonded them one at a time and support them like i did when I sanded the trailing edge but I would not have been able to ensure there is no twist built into the panels.
Donít forget to poke holes in the bottom sheeting to locate the aileron servo wires, motor mount plate and the retract positions.
May 07, 2019, 08:25 AM
Thank you, Sparks

CD
May 11, 2019, 12:50 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I used wedges of foam to support the wing while the top sheeting was being bonded on place.
This way I could control any twist in the wing.
They could be bonded one at a time flat on the work surface but there is no way to check for twist.
it looks like a pain in the rear but it was not so bad and the fast progress was a kick.
May 11, 2019, 12:53 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

T E taper

Again we donít want a fat trailing edge so I used a wall paper scraper replacement blade to rough cut the trailing edge to be sanded later.
Note the marks made to locate the aileron servo.
And the marks made to know where the ribs are.
May 11, 2019, 12:58 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The leading-edge sheeting is then sanded flush with the balsa forward spar and a foam block is bonded in place.
Then comes more sanding but this is where the wing starts really looking good.

Note the masking tape protecting the wing skin.
This is removed when the shape gets very close to final.
When you sand the trailing edge let the weight of the sanding bar do the work.
May 11, 2019, 01:03 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
My foam work surface is about 2 inches thick .
I bought it from a local Army Navy store.
Larger fabric stores carry pads as well but not so big.

If you can keep a box knife in your car one day you will come across a discarded mattress.
If its not very old you can salvage the lower pad for free.
(Just another option )
May 14, 2019, 07:04 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Cut the ailerons loose.

Cut the ailerons free from the wing and remove enough material from the aileron bay to install a balsa liner between them.
This balsa gives the material the strength to support the hinges.
Hinge the ailerons then sand the trailing edge of the wing until you have a flat spot about 1/8 inch wide.
Bond a soft balsa strip to the trailing edge. This strip will act as a bumper for the trailing edge and lock the aileron in place for the final sanding step and fiberglass work.
May 14, 2019, 07:07 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Now you have this smooth wing with a soft surface just looking for dents.
One ply of ĺ oz cloth will give it the "shell" it needs for protection.
Do it right away.
Overlap the glass along the center section to buy a little for joint strength.
When you glass the area around the ailerons be very careful not to allow epoxy resin in the gaps.

Quick Reply