Build Log

68 inch 5 pound Constellation

The kit is available and has flown.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2019, 09:59 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

intro

The model started at Home depot where I bought 1 inch extruded foam insulation.
I cut the foam to 1/4 inch thick (details on how to do this is on the plans and there is a video that will be posted soon.)
Construction is allot like building with balsa but much more forgiving like foam is and lighter.
The short kit is here
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...roducts_id=835
My version is overpowered and could be lighter despite the 5 pounds it is.

Your restriction is 4 inches for ground clearance so smaller motors will work and make the design much lighter.
Last edited by sparks; Apr 26, 2019 at 10:25 AM.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:31 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

cutting your foam sheets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cCS8FzBKxNM
Apr 26, 2019, 10:32 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

construction

When I started this project, I had no intention of making it available. It was more of an experiment than serious project. At the time it was used to simply Keep my hands busy while I developed the B-52. As the build went on I was thrilled at how fast and light the model was coming together and soon consumed all my spare time. You will notice the construction very closely resembles the methods used to construct balsa models but without the high cost and weight.
Last edited by sparks; Apr 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:35 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Power issue.

Yes, I know there was never a Connie with four blade props. The motors I choose (had on hand) has a lower KVA than I needed. As the work went on the chosen three blade props became a ground clearance concern so I went with four. This Connie accelerates very quickly and can be flown at less than half power. I’m certain this model is over powered, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Later I will explore motors that would be a better match for this design and report here.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:41 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I started at the home improvement store when I bought one sheet of 1 inch extruded foam insulation. That was all the foam material I needed with enough to spare to make the build fixtures and transport stand. While you are at the store buy a sheet of Masonite shown in the video, this sheet is very smooth and is used to cut your foam sheets into the thinner sheets needed.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The Fuselage formers was cut from the sliced foam. There are allot of them to make but their spacing makes sheeting the fuselage easier.
The center line and waterlines were transferred to the formers as well as their assigned numbers.
I used a scribe to mark the exact center of the hole the build fixture pipe will be threaded thru.
I used a ¾ inch foster bit to accurately drill holes in the formers.
This bit will cut a clean hole in the foam that will give you a snug fit.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:46 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Pre cutting

Some of the formers will have to have portions of their centers removed later.
To make the job easier I “pre cut” the formers.
This means that the dashed lines on the formers will need to be cut but not completely.
Doing the cuts now will guide your hobby knife to complete the cut later.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:47 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I used scrap foam to make three building stands and bonded cardboard to their base so weights could be added as needed.
A ¾ inch electric conduit is placed on the plans and the locations of the formers were transferred to the conduit.
Note the use of the square ; don’t eyeball it.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:50 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Carefully slide the formers on to the conduit.
Make all the marks face the same direction and don’t forget to evenly space your support stands.
Slide the push pull tubing in place and the balsa hatch edge supports.
Note that below the hatch supports you can see the precuts made.
They could be longer.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:52 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
That should be enough to get your interest for now, get subscribed and I'll be back later.
Apr 26, 2019, 11:39 AM
Okay...I've locked in my 'Subscribe' for this "Conni-'E' Ticket ride....

Maybe I can get a seat to watch this, as the "Avgrs:E-G" line goes around the block twice...8^)....
Apr 26, 2019, 02:59 PM
Closed Account
Another subscriber here, Sparks!

CD
Apr 26, 2019, 03:47 PM
Wo Haa! Sub'd
Apr 26, 2019, 04:23 PM
Sub'd. Love a good build.

Quick Reply