This thread is privately moderated by Markus Gritsch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 09, 2020, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Yes, I'm quite happy about how my SDFT implementation turned out and how it performs. I think Betaflight could benefit from it as well. Maybe someone wants to add it.

I'm sure your build will turn out fine using it together with the RPM filter and MIX_CHANGE_LIMIT.

As a side note, I still haven't received the NOXE_V1 board I ordered three months ago. Maybe it's permanently lost in the mail due to the current situation. It's different from the first NOXE board. I added a board description to the build targets, and it will probably work fine. But as of now it's untested.
Last edited by Markus Gritsch; Jun 10, 2020 at 12:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2020, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Gritsch
ctzsnooze sent me an email and he's ok with answering the questions here. His message:
Great to see Chris (ctzsnooze) taking an interest in your project Markus. I know that he did some great work on some features for the AlienWii FC's plus, if I am not mistaken he is a fellow Aussie
Jun 16, 2020, 10:55 PM
Someone in our FC Hackers group on The Book Of Faces (apparently RCG will not allow any mention of FB - really ?? What a fricking joke ) posted this which may interest some of you https://docs.px4.io/v1.9.0/en/flight...4thsEXpswmQ4eA It even includes a PDF of the schematic
Jun 23, 2020, 02:24 PM
Thread OP

F4-XSD Flight Controller

I added support for a new STM32F405 flight controller to SilF4ware. It's currently available from the usual sources and is called F4-XSD. I bought mine from XT-XINTE for $15 shipped: https://www.xt-xinte.com/h-product-d...oods_id=691499

Attached are some pictures complete with SWD port for debugging, blackbox logger port, and nRF24L01+PA+LNA module. Seems that TX_POWER 3 can be used and still 200 packets/s

EDIT: TX_POWER 3 works fine when using a 2S battery. When using more cells, TX_POWER 1 is needed.
Last edited by Markus Gritsch; Jun 24, 2020 at 07:10 AM.
Jun 23, 2020, 02:27 PM
The list keeps growing Nice work Markus
Jun 24, 2020, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Seems that TX_POWER 3 can be used and still 200 packets/s
That's interesting. So it likely has something to do with the board layout/vreg circuit? Or might you have been just lucky with this exact nrf module?

Speaking of more supported boards: has SilF4ware been ported successfully to the F4 board JoeLucid and Ian444 did design once? I'm not sure but I believe I ordered the parts and boards back then but never got to build any, lost interest due to being limited to BF.
Jun 24, 2020, 06:09 AM
@SirDomsen

I don't know why, but in my tests Omnibus also performed much better in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0a23cb7af4d242

I already had a Omnibus FC here (I ordered it before the NOX boards) and just tried the NRF24L01+PA+LNA module on it. You'll probably won't believe it, but I even didn't had to set the TX Power to a lower value.
But with the NRF24 mini module I couldn't find a difference between NOXE and Omnibus. Don't use the NRF24L01+PA+LNA module with a 2S micro quad.

btw. if you guys receive the NOXE v1, it would be great if you could weigh it. In the descriptions it seemed much heavier to me than the first NOXE board, but maybe the variant without the baro is lighter.

I think Omnibus is still the lightest option (3.21g according to my scale) which is already quite heavy for a micro quad. The first NOXE board was comparable in weight IIRC (maybe 0.2g heavier).
Jun 24, 2020, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
I think the NOXE V1 uses a thicker PCB than the normal NOXE version, therefore it will be heavier.
Jun 24, 2020, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
Speaking of more supported boards: has SilF4ware been ported successfully to the F4 board JoeLucid and Ian444 did design once? I'm not sure but I believe I ordered the parts and boards back then but never got to build any, lost interest due to being limited to BF.
If it was called "Lite Flight board", here are some pointers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yets
I'm interested in building some F4 boards, did the Lite Flight board ever work with SilF4ware?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444
I think Pedro flashed one, maybe around Oct last year. Proly easier to buy a Noxe F4 from Aliexpress for USD $12, but that's not very encouraging DIY advice sorry. The Lite Flight pcb was not one of my better designs, it works, but could be done better. The vias for the rx module can be a weak point on some boards, just overall not super-solid unfortunately. Running BF with spi rx didn't help a lot though. However I still have most of mine in flying condition, only lost one so far for sure, then broke a processor with a bad flash on another, will rescue that one day.
Jun 24, 2020, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
That's interesting. So it likely has something to do with the board layout/vreg circuit? Or might you have been just lucky with this exact nrf module?
No, the NRF modules are very consistent. I never had a "better" or a "worse" one of the same type. It's just that the ones equipped with an LNA are a bit more susceptible to electrical noise.

And, speaking of which, TX_POWER 3 works fine on this board with a 2S battery. When trying with a 3S now, I also had to reduce TX_POWER to 1 to get stable 200 packets/s. But nothing to worry about. TX_POWER 1 on a nRF24L01+PA+LNA board gives more than enough range
Jun 24, 2020, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the pointers and refreshing my memories.

The rf performance seems to be dependent on the electrical noise from the board/motors, if I get you right?

What range are we talking about (in meters), just curious.
Jun 24, 2020, 07:46 AM
Droning on.
Quote:
I added support for a new STM32F405 flight controller to SilF4ware. It's currently available from the usual sources and is called F4-XSD. I bought mine from XT-XINTE for $15 shipped: https://www.xt-xinte.com/h-product-d...oods_id=691499

Attached are some pictures complete with SWD port for debugging, blackbox logger port, and nRF24L01+PA+LNA module. Seems that TX_POWER 3 can be used and still 200 packets/s

EDIT: TX_POWER 3 works fine when using a 2S battery. When using more cells, TX_POWER 1 is needed.
Very nice Great to see another option
Jun 24, 2020, 07:50 AM
Thread OP
Yes, electrical or RF noise from the board/motors.

Did no range test by measuring the distance, but farther away than I can recognize the orientation of the quad in LOS flying.
Jun 24, 2020, 08:25 AM
Droning on.
Sir Domsen, not specifically related to the F4 boards but a NRF24L01 PA/LNA on one of the Silverlite 5v FPV boards gives me 200 packets up to 120m before I turn back from the walk. Not scientific but works. This board has a slight flaw in the placement of the inductor but the module works fine with some shielding and careful positioning.
Jun 24, 2020, 11:24 AM
Quote:
... farther away than I can recognize the orientation of the quad in LOS flying.
Awesome

Quick Reply