Jun 09, 2021, 04:21 PM

portholes

Does any one know of a source in the States or even better Canada. Thanks

Terry Kelly
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2021, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasthewalrus9
Does any one know of a source in the States or even better Canada.
Great Hobbies. https://www.greathobbies.com/

www.greathobbies.com/search/results/?srchtype=QuickSearch&srchlimit=50&srchdep=&srchim g=0&srchstk=0&srchdes=portlight&QuickSearchButton= Find
Jun 09, 2021, 07:47 PM
There was an earlier RCGroup forum post on this subject using grommets ... and where to buy

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post45621583
Jun 13, 2021, 10:02 AM
If anyone has been considering different methods for making real wood mast hoops ... might consider using wood veneer edge band material ... made this suggestion in another RCGroup forum thread ...

Another person was asking this question and did a good job showing the process in photos (vs my description in words)

See the following link and hope this helps the folks building the various Bearospace yachts and are looking for easy way to make real wood mast hoops

Post #91 shows step-by-step photos

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ge7#post552778
Jun 23, 2021, 12:21 AM
Thoroughly modding Mal

Does 10% make much difference?

In previous posts I’ve talked about Diana, the big sister to Tessa as both are based on Gary’s Annie plan.

However there have been a few changes, the major being taking Diana back to the gaff-rigged somewhat standard Annie. I tried operating her with a jib topsail (as mentioned in an earlier post) but decided she would do well with just the conventional single drum winch system. I also made the standard jib as large as I deemed practical thinking that it’s easier to reduce the area than increase it
Scaled up to 110% was a far as Gary recommends, anything greater would likely adversely affect her performance, and almost certainly, her handling.
While CB's Vera weighs in at 20 lbs and carries 970 sq. in of sail overall. Diana comes in at 29lbs with 1520 sq. in.

That she has the edge over Annie can be attributed to the 12% gain in sail area to displacement, which was as I had hopefully planned on.
She is definitely now a FAST cargo schooner but still basically an Annie in most respects.

During her extended, often delayed, build, nearly every component was redesigned and replaced at least once. I could say due to making better, but more often because the former just didn’t quite reach expectations.

My ever-patient (but supportive) wife has often remarked that she’s heard me say “That was my last boat “ knowing that it wouldn’t be. Well, seven boats later it will be.
I intend to just refurbish/update those I have with strip planking, changes to sails and rigging, and probably a change of overall colouration. They get enough sailing for a fair amount of weathering (and a few knocks ).

This video was edited to try and show the differences between the two. CB’s pristine Vera is stock standard and faithful to Gary’s plans. Diana is anything but.

Annie comparision (0 min 50 sec)
Last edited by robcrusoe; Jun 23, 2021 at 03:31 PM.
Jun 25, 2021, 10:47 AM
sailtails - YouTube

10%

Big thanks robcrusoe & Crossbones, good show ! Both schooners looking good ! Diana's spread of sail is a real eye catcher.
10% makes a difference, like my teacher told me in 7th grade, but a little guy might still have a chance if he can outmaneuver the big guy and steal his wind.
Great to see you all having fun.
Cheers Everybody !
Gary
Jun 25, 2021, 05:47 PM
Thoroughly modding Mal

Just added.. sailing reports thread

NEW! Dedicated Bearospace Sailing report thread

https://tinyurl.com/47ekk49u

Jul 06, 2021, 09:03 AM

Adding a pin in the masts of Annie

I am building Annie and have gotten to adding mast blocks in the hull and got thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to add an 1/8'' pin in each of the masts just above the deck with a small block on each side of the pin to keep the masts from rotating like the plans show in Gary's plan for his sloop Emma. Has anyone else used this idea building Annie.

Terry Kelly
Jul 06, 2021, 09:59 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Pinning Annie's masts

Thanks for bringing this up Terry. Because Annie's masts are smaller diameter and more delicate than Emma's (1/2" vs 5/8") Consider gluing a tiny block of wood to the mast rather then drilling into the mast for a metal pin. Let the tiny block sit between the small blocks glued on deck.
My original Annie (as per plans) has nothing to prevent the masts from rotating. In use, the masts stay put OK due to tension on the shrouds & stays, but I do need to pay attention to positioning them during set-up. The blocks would make the positioning correct & automatic. Good idea.
Cheers,
Gary
Jul 07, 2021, 03:58 AM

A coin under the mast

While following the restoration of Cutter Tally Ho on youtube https://sampsonboat.co.uk/category/tally-ho/ we learned about the tradition of putting a coin under the mast, well so must we !
but since the masts of our schooner are removable we needed to close -in the coin with a pin trough the mast-foot to prevent it from getting lost
We made a slot in the under face of the mast and so the pin also prevents the masts from turning :-)
Cheers
Jerry D and Max Payload
Jul 08, 2021, 09:57 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Coin under the mast

Hooray Jerry D ! Well done & clever, I like how you used the pin to do double duty. Tradition of course calls for a Silver coin but we do the best we can.
When the day came (about 38 years ago) to step the mast in my cutter "Sparkle" the boat building budget was depleted, thoroughly depleted.
A good friend provided a Canadian Dime (which pictures the Schooner "Bluenose") to reside under the heel of her solid fir mast. True story.
Cheers,
Gary
Jul 09, 2021, 07:33 PM

coins under the mast

Putting silver coins under the mast has been a tradition here in Nova Scotia for a long time. The original Bluenose had silver dollars under each of her masts. Gary, that is exactly what I am putting under each of Annie's masts Canadian dimes each with the Bluenose on them. Great minds and all that jazz.

Terry Kelly
Nov 30, 2021, 03:34 PM
Thoroughly modding Mal

Another Annie under way

My friend Tony who lives on the coast of Victoria Australia is working on his Annie, his first of Gary's designs.

His build notes and more photos can be viewed at

RCSBOZ

Tony has other high quality completed builds and a couple under construction.

One is his version of an English Channel Cutter (shades of an Annie, sort of). An interesting build but more complex than Annie. Too much for me!

Another, of maybe greater interest to fellow Aussies, is a Floataboat designed Couta boat.
This design was mentioned don this forum earlier on but this is the only one I've seen being built. Again, the rebuild is more advanced but interesting, note also how the ballast is made and fitted.

Mal
Dec 13, 2021, 08:46 PM
Thoroughly modding Mal

EZYINDEXER is up to date

EZYINDEX is now updated
The YouTube section will follow within days.

Hard to believe all the great posts since March this year, but there were many. In that time there have been over 1,800 page viewings.

I have not included sailing reports as they are news, rather than construction or performance details.

Also, because of the many Flyers in progress during the year, I am not including progressive build reports as they cannot be viewed sequentially.
Well, not in the INDEX anyway.

There are two ways a proud builder may have his efforts viewed and appreciated.

By clicking on his username in RCG and viewing all posts. This will not be that clear as a build if he posts on a variety of subjects.

A better solution and one that I will greatly appreciate it if you, the builder, put together a collection of your best photos of the build, keeping the number to a representative coverage only, and along with a bit of a written report, need only be brief, and I will place them on my own site under each builders section. I've already done a few, mostly of other boat types.
I believe everyone would benefit from this.
Firstly the newcomer can follow a build from the hull up to and on the water, and the builder justly gets recognition for his efforts.

And as well, aid Gary in his marketing side of things. Nothing sells a product like an avid genuine endorsement.

Just PM me if you are interested and we can go from there using email.
Dec 29, 2021, 04:11 PM
Thoroughly modding Mal

Prototype Gaff Rigged Cutter

Formerly my Annie Tessa, upgraded some time back to Tessa 2 and now reemerging as Tessa 3.

This total rebuild from deck upwards uses the cutter type rigging and much larger sails with a central fully vertical mast.
Instead of three fore-sails, she has just two.

As the test sail was more of a success than maybe it should have been, prompts me to add this item report of her development.

While the current stage only used a single winch system to the main, with the jib and staysail self-setting (well, sort of) she sailed in a rather narrow zone of between close reach and close hauled that being the only zone with no sail flutter on the jib. It would be fine to leave it that but the desire to stop the flutter on any heading finds you inadvertently trying to do on the sticks.

So, back to the dockyard works, and in goes a second winch.

A short video

Tessa 3 maiden (0 min 55 sec)

In the meantime, here are a few pics where she went along accompanied by CBs beautiful standard Annie Vera so we could observe comparative performance.
Even though there is no doubt she has inherent legs, but so she must, otherwise why bother.?
Once the upgrade is complete well try them out again, maybe in slightly stronger conditions. On this day is was 15-20kph/ 9-12 mph so would like to get 25kph / 15 mph which might be its maximum envelope..
The sails areas approx. 50% greater for Tessa 3. Despite what the photos might suggest, the hulls are identical.

Quick Reply