Apr 25, 2019, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bearospace Schooner Annie

Here's Gary Webb's latest, the 58" 20 pound Schooner Annie! Built of thin plywood she's designed akin to Gary's Schooner Irene and his Sloop Emma.
Darn, too bad summer's coming...here in the mountains I can't really justify building her until winter!
Paul Brabenec
Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Fast Cargo Schooner “Annie" joins the Bearospace RC Fleet (5 min 1 sec)

For all information on building these Bearospace boats check out http://tomcrusoe.racing/rcg-topic-finder-ver-4//
Last edited by Paul~; Dec 11, 2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2019, 10:37 PM
Mad on modding

Annie sails Down Under

I started a new schooner nearly a year ago following some casual chats with Gary on "what next?"
I had noticed (and I know Paul had too ) of a somewhat different looking schooner in one or two of his Sail Tails videos. It turns out that was the boat he mentions in his new video, but one he was still assessing for possible addition to the Bear fleet.
If nothing else I guess I can be persistent and it followed that he allowed me the opportunity to construct a prototype based on that "mystery" boat. Probably thinking if I could do it, anyone can.

Naturally enough it was not the sort of thing to start posting about since it was not a given to ever attain a status such as Irene and Emma.

But following my delight with her, and despite my perchance to be always experimenting with mods, Tessa was built, sailed, and in time was rebuilt from the deck up as Tessa 2, making her akin to the new Annie, but different enough to suit me.
I confess willingly that even under the development need for restraint, I have been posting Tessa for a few months without actually saying more than she is a modified Irene, as is true for Annie as well.
While Annie could well be left in the Irene thread, Paul pipped me at the post just now in starting a new dedicated Annie thread, so that's already in place.

My congrats to Gary for the launch of his new boat and I thank him for his ongoing support over all four boats I had the joy of putting together.

To kick off the new girl's entry into our group and to show how Tessa 2 differs, here's a couple on videos from a week or so ago.

While it hardly likely that anyone will go down that path (4 decks were made before the final was screwed down) I'm happy to talk about any of my mods.

Rest assured, as with all Gary's boats, make them as per his documents and you'll be over the moon and save yourself a lot of needless work.

Tessa Crusoe 3 (1 min 54 sec)

Tessa crusoe onboard 2 (1 min 47 sec)
Apr 26, 2019, 04:59 PM
Mad on modding
Building Tessa to Annie specifications only was not in the least daunting as Annie is basically a more simplistic build that an Irene, yet maintaining all those desirable characteristic of her older sister.

It took me all of 6 months to get Tessa 2 finally complete after the usual numerous “do it again “ stages that is part and parcel of my personal building manner.

Having completed Molly G, then Anna (not to be confused with Annie), I then put sloop Maxine through a lengthy period of modified Emma construction, trying out new things like Gary’s topsails as well as a few personal ideas. Maxine, like Annie, was built for speed and despite the end result not being a lot different than an Emma, she certainly stands out as unique. Just this week ( over a year later) she was finally given shrouds.
While building Tessa I took numerous photos through the various stages and since they portray chiefly Gary’s Annie design it seems a good time to slowly present a build. Because a lot of the content and techniques in the construction a Bear boat is much the same I hope anyone looking to build one will find interest it what will follow here.

It occurs to me that while nearly all of the work, and some of the new mods, were mine, it is worth mentioning the value of having someone else to talk things over with while they too proceed with a build , or two (Thanks Crossbones/Greg Bendigo Vic.) or just maintain an ongoing interest (via Skype) having much to do with more conventional rc sailboats (Thanks Tugboat {Perth. W.Aust. }. And of course, my ever-patient wife who listens to all my chat with that same look of quiet approval.

This forum is the place to do the next best thing and talk about anything to do with Bear boats. If you haven’t already, please give it a go.
All this is just to get the show on the road, upcoming builds will outshine my efforts but in the meantime this will suffice.

Coming up.. Slow FCS Build
Apr 27, 2019, 01:53 AM
Mad on modding

Slow FCS (Annie) Build

The hull

Having had problems with getting the deck cut out to fit the formed up hull before this time I thought I’d cut the deck out and make the hull fit it.
Ha! Somehow that didn’t work, the hull being a mind of its own so scratch one deck. If the deck was to be glued on as per the plan it might be easy to make it fit, but all my boats were put together with the object of removable decks, so the deck must be as near to a tight fit as possible. But more on that later.

Note: If you do a top job of cutting out the hull strakes and putting them together symmetrically, then no doubt the deck will conform.

Never been my end result.

Anyway, Gary shows Annie’s hull upright aboard Sparkle but here’s a few pics showing how the two schooner hulls appear in comparison.
Assembly is the same as for all the Bear boats.
Double check measurements side against side before gluing. But don’t fret over it, as Paul has mentioned, these boats are pretty tolerant and in most cases only you would know what adjustments were needed.

I’ll try not to repeat what may already have been posted , mine or other builders, on the Bear boat threads, but will if it seems timely.
If you want to comment, suggest, or explain how you did it please do so as I’m sure new builders will appreciate it and it will lead to more forum traffic which is beneficial for Gary’s enterprise as well.

Bulkheads

After various adhesive tests I now just used what is commonly known down here as Liquid nails. Comes under various brands but basically is a popular timber to timber adhesive used in home building and D.I.Y. projects. When cured it is will take timber with it if pulled apart. But it does retain a bit of inherent flexibility which is spot on for fixing bulkheads into the hull. And the bonus … it is VERY cheap and easy to find.. But there are other proven fixing agents with neater finishes so regard this as just my method.
Last edited by robcrusoe; May 15, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
Apr 27, 2019, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

Printing the plans

The local UPS store did a quick, perfect job of this on Saturday morning $12.50
I handed the UPS man the printing instructions (which I printed at home) and the sheets are sized perfectly.
She's a long lean sailing Annie!
Apr 27, 2019, 03:25 PM
Thread OP

Building instructions, how-to's, photos, on and on

The three Bearospace boats share design and materials so they all build the same. There are long lists heavy with information about the Bearospace Schooner Irene and Sloop Emma here in the Sailboats Forums at RCGroups.com. Trying to find info on a certain topic would mean scanning thousands of posts on everything else. So....
Robcrusoe has created the wonderful index Rc Plywood Sailboats http://rcplyboats.pw/. There's a long list of topics (such as "adhesives") with links to posts other builders have added to the Irene and Emma message threads in the Sailboats forums at RCGroups.com.
You'll find videos, photos, illustrations, and lots of discussion about anything and everything pertaining to these boats.
Far out, eh?
Apr 27, 2019, 05:16 PM
Mad on modding
That was quick work Paul, you are fortunate to be able to get full size prints at a reasonable cost.
Around here it is expensive as the copy shops only can print to A0 size which is a bit narrow for the schooner hull and deck plans.

For the Annie strakes I just got them to do a second copy but from the opposite side, and then cut and attached enough to make it complete. That and the templates cost around $A13/$US9.

But when Greg decided to build an Irene at the same time so we could work together in some aspects, like cutting out strakes on the larger bandsaw with care( quality Jigsaw does a nice job as well) he opted to my printing out A4 sheets (as explained in earlier posts on Irene) and then just married up the individual sheets to make a whole. Each sheet in a pdf print has matchup lines.I did it on a Laser printer so the print is permanent and the lines very fine.

I adopted the same method when I found it necessary to redo the deck layout, as mentioned previously. It also makes it easy to cut out templates by using a very light aerosol craft glue application to tack the sheet on before cutting out. I also tried doing this on cardboard to keep a permanent template to trace straight onto the ply. With me that is always a smart move if & when reworks pops it's head up.. :0

Not a lot of effort required but overall I thoroughly recommend getting a large single sheet, if practical.
Apr 28, 2019, 12:19 PM
Thread OP

long paper cuts

Here's the mountain thunderstorms and falling slush so let's build a boat!
Wow, I started cutting out the long hull patterns with scissors...and got bored. Next, thin cardboard was used as a cutting board and the trusty Xacto knife sliced the long smooth arcs quickly. Nice!
Apr 28, 2019, 09:33 PM
Mad on modding
Paul, great to see you succumbing to the Building Addiction. I think I've thrown it off, but only time will tell.

Perhaps documenting the last build will be effective therapy .

I'm currently reviewing all boats hatch security. I'm yet to get anything out in really powerful conditions.
Apr 28, 2019, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
I'm yet to get anything out in really powerful conditions.
I'm not interested in pushing the limits with these model boats. Notice Gary's videos set to play at half speed. The sailboat looks better that way, more realistic, and not so much like a toy boat. That's why I like moderate conditions, so the boat will look more realistic, more smooth and graceful.
There's also the fact that on this little pond in the mountains any wind is turbulent and gusty so setting out into stronger wind is just asking for trouble.
Apr 28, 2019, 10:27 PM
Thread OP

Nice plans

It's such a pleasure working from Gary's clean, precise drawings
Apr 30, 2019, 09:12 AM
Question
the Annie is made of plywood--what thickness and how big a sheet is needed for a build like this ?
is the deck the same ply as the hull ?
thanks
Allan
Apr 30, 2019, 09:49 AM
sailtails - YouTube
Hi Allan,
Annie can be built of Utility Ply (door skin) Luan about 2.5mm thick, often called 1/8”. It is widely available, sold by Home Depot in the US, and is inexpensive. A single 4’ x 8’ sheet will provide enough material for “Annie”.
Hobby grade 1/8” birch plywood, and other quality plywoods (not more than 1/8” thick) would also be suitable, at greater expense.
Annie's deck, and bulkheads are of the same material as hull.
Apr 30, 2019, 07:08 PM
Hi Gary,

will you be doing a full gaff rig sail plan for 'Annie'?

Cheers,

Terry Smith
Adelaide SA
Still cleaning out my shed
May 01, 2019, 09:57 AM
sailtails - YouTube
Hi Terry,
Full Gaff for "Annie" ? I think not, she works so well as is, and shines with simplicity. Think I'll leave it at that.
The Gaff version "Irene" is well suited for folks who enjoy such character (I do).
I'll add that compared to "Irene", "Annie" is not meant to be improved or updated, just different.
Your shed cleaning has been going on for a while Terry, would you like to borrow my dump truck?
Cheers, Gary

Quick Reply