May 06, 2019, 01:03 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey_H
Still fettling... The elevator doesn,t want to centre well enough (about 3mm difference) so must be fouling somewhere. And the motor runs backwards. Easy fix, but means I need to disassemble (again!)
I did the very same thing yesterday; didnít catch the motor running backwards until after I was almost finished, so I had to undo some work to correct it. Oops!
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2019, 09:36 PM
any more info ?
May 15, 2019, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Member
I am so glad I managed to resist the Sopwith Camel as the Fokker D.VII was exactly what I have been hoping to find in this size. I can't wait to get it in the air!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-f...asc=7569169669

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...87&postcount=5
May 15, 2019, 04:25 PM
Fly and let Fly!
No side cowl vents..
May 15, 2019, 10:52 PM
Report from maiden?
Is the 70mm cog point from manual okay?
May 16, 2019, 12:51 PM
Parkstormer!
I've still not maidened mine, between the weather and a kid's graduation. I'm shooting for this weekend, though!
May 17, 2019, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee
I've still not maidened mine, between the weather and a kid's graduation. I'm shooting for this weekend, though!
Yes, fantastic everywhere.
The same here too at lake Balaton in the EU.

I am very very curious where will be the correct CoG point of the plane, because i found very different experiences with this type.
Somebody on YT shows the 50-55mm on the upper wing, but others says 70mm-67mm and for 190.- US Dollar i don't wanna make a NASA style hovering before impact
I will make a whole new landing gear from aluminium with using of the original wheels to prevent nose overs. I think, that the axis of the wheel is too aft, and it should be wider too.
I tested the Turnigy 2200mAh 3S Lipo in the holder tray, it is 191g and fit well in there.
My calculated CoG is on 67mm (on upper wing).
If i would use the 2200 lipo, the Cog would be just perfect, but it is only a theory

When everything is ready i will upload some photos.

I am really looking forward to the experiences with this beauty.
Till then rain and wind here...
Last edited by norbert.newman; May 17, 2019 at 11:25 PM.
May 18, 2019, 12:20 AM
Here are some photos.
The legs made from aluminum plate.
I used carbon tube to the gear and fixed two nut with extra epoxi in the tube to hold the screws.
The esc is direct behind the fire wall of the motor.
Last edited by norbert.newman; May 18, 2019 at 12:33 AM.
Jun 16, 2019, 09:33 PM
Deleted
Last edited by thunker54; Jun 16, 2019 at 09:51 PM.
Jun 17, 2019, 06:46 AM
Third try with my Sopwith Camel 900mm. I think I finally got the center of gravity adjusted close. Landing gear is horrible on this kit, and my lousy landings today didn't help. But the metal in the landing gear struts is really soft stuff - you can literally bend it with your fingers. Another project to figure out. Now that's I'm getting it closer to being dialed in, I think it could be a nice plane with some decent landing gear.

HobbyKing Sopwith Camel 900mm - 3rd outing (5 min 45 sec)
Jun 18, 2019, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Member
I guess the landing gear is similar in strength to the landing gear on the Fokker DVII.
Last edited by JohnM; Sep 19, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Jun 18, 2019, 08:20 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I guess the landing gear is similar in strength to the landing gear on the Fokker DVII. This is what happen to mine after a few not so good landings on a grass field
Fat pilot?
Jun 19, 2019, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Definitely some pilot error.
Last edited by JohnM; Sep 19, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Jun 19, 2019, 07:22 PM
Temporary rig to X-brace my plane's lousy weak landing gear design - without drilling any new holes in the struts to further weaken them.
I just cut some pieces of aluminum tubing, pulled a loop of twine through it, looped it around the top of a strut and then across and around the wheel axle on the opposite strut and cinched it down.
Then tied the "X" together. Top twine around the wheels along the axle keeps the struts from spreading when landing and further cinches the X-bracing down in place. In theory, this should take a lot of the lateral bending off of the landing gear at the base so that weak metal doesn't yield as it did.

Looks sloppy, I know. If it works on a couple of flights, I'll replace the twine with fishing line and try to clean it up so it won't appear so sloppy.
But almost nothing would cure the "sloppy" out of my last two landings with it anyway! Closer to soft crashes....

Quick Reply