Apr 24, 2019, 06:53 PM
Fox 1
Thread OP
Discussion

H-King Sopwith Camel

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-s...1,9QCZ5,2CTI,1

It looks like Hobby King has done a rehash of the Great Planes 900mm Camel, but taken it up a notch.
Maybe added 15%, or so, to the fin/rudder. Not a deal breaker. This thing will never win a scale contest and more rudder on a Great War bird is clever.
More rudder on a warbird can look stupid. I the words of the immortal David St. Hubbins "It's a fine line between clever and stupid", but I digress.
Instead of an ARF (like the old), it's a PNP. So you add a radio and you're off to the wild blue yonder!
I like to tinker, so for me it's just more cheap bits for the recycler.

I admit it, I don't have a Camel in my hangar. What kind of Great War aficionado has no Camel? It's like a sculpture of the Greek God Testicles, but with no balls on it!

I will finally have my 900mm Camel, and the balls that go with it!
And a nice addition to my Home Depot Scale Fokker DVII (early version, not the Home Depot DVII F).
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2019, 03:14 PM
Parkstormer!
Mine arrived this week. I've not built it yet, but the quality seemed good on an initial inspection. I never had the Great Planes Camel but had others in the line (the Dr-I, D-VII and SE-5a), and it's pretty clear this is basically a re-release of the old Camel in a new scheme. One thing I have seen is that it's "listed" as taking 3S 2200s, but I couldn't get Admiral 3S 1800s or 2200s to fit, so I think I'll end up using 3S 1500s just like I did for the old Great Planes kits. Here's hoping HK has others from the line in the works!
Apr 28, 2019, 11:51 PM
wow i didnt realize this was plug and play would like to hear form some others before I pull the trigger but for that price seems like you cant go wrong!
Apr 29, 2019, 11:32 AM
If it flies anything like the ElectriFly S.E.5.a then its a great deal. the Youtube video I saw seems to have a ton of power. It sports an 11X8 prop which is huge for this bird.
Apr 29, 2019, 01:29 PM
Yeah i saw video as well, looks like it needed balanced.
How long has this plane been out ? I cant find anyinfo on it ?
Apr 29, 2019, 01:30 PM
Couldbt find any other post about it on here.
Apr 29, 2019, 02:22 PM
Parkstormer!
It just came out; I ordered it the first day I saw it. Iíve ordered some 3S 1500 batts, so hopefully I can get it built this week and maiden it this weekend.
Apr 29, 2019, 09:52 PM
Awesome I cant wait for your review! I had the electrifly sopwith,,,which needed a ton of wait to trim but once done flew amazing.
May 01, 2019, 09:09 AM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonak
Awesome I cant wait for your review! I had the electrifly sopwith,,,which needed a ton of wait to trim but once done flew amazing.
The forecast for this weekend looks pretty bad here now (good chance of rain both days, plus windy on Sunday), but I'll still see what I can do . . .
May 01, 2019, 05:07 PM
better safe than sorry
May 01, 2019, 05:11 PM
better safe than sorry I wouldn't rush a maiden voyage
May 02, 2019, 08:34 PM
Fox 1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaReef123
If it flies anything like the ElectriFly S.E.5.a then its a great deal. the Youtube video I saw seems to have a ton of power. It sports an 11X8 prop which is huge for this bird.
11 x 5, not 11 x 8
11 x 8 would be a torque nightmare with that tiny rudder.
Landing failure would be like + 1000%, LOL!

With the gear stance on these birds, you need a little power on touch down. to flow over the empennage. But just a little.
You don't shut off the throttle until the tail settles on the grass.

Of course, if the wind is up, must be on your game.
May 03, 2019, 05:41 PM
I have just got this too. HK site says 2200 3s but that looks way too big. Quite nicely built, but fit of lower wing wasn't great, and fin feels weak but we will see. Gear looks very flimsy, and the interplane struts were warped, but easily fixed. Hope to maiden tomorrow - wind and rain permitting
May 03, 2019, 07:06 PM
Fox 1
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey_H
I have just got this too. HK site says 2200 3s but that looks way too big. Quite nicely built, but fit of lower wing wasn't great, and fin feels weak but we will see. Gear looks very flimsy, and the interplane struts were warped, but easily fixed. Hope to maiden tomorrow - wind and rain permitting
2200 is on the fat size, depending on the C rating.
I run 1800mAh Thunderpower 70C Rampage batts in my DVII. They weigh the same as the Thunderpower 25C Prolitex 2200s, but recharge way faster.
My club has power, so I can recharge the 70Cs as fast as I can fly them. I only need two expensive batts, instead of a backpack full of cheap ones, to fly all day.
May 05, 2019, 07:13 AM
Still fettling... The elevator doesn,t want to centre well enough (about 3mm difference) so must be fouling somewhere. And the motor runs backwards. Easy fix, but means I need to disassemble (again!)

Quick Reply