Apr 24, 2019, 11:02 AM
Electronics and RC
Thread OP
New Product

AEORC 27, 30, 35mm metal EDF

It seems as if these came out a few months ago. First time I see them.

They sell them on Aliexpress, but pretty much sold out for now.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2019, 06:35 PM
Hmmm mebe their trying to revive interest in their edf's ... previous aeo edfs proved, in My experiences to be v low quality..
As contrast...My testings of a QX 30 mm 7000kv Fan unit produced a minimum of 180 gms thrust at 8 Amps on my wattmeter on a 750mah 3S ... replicably, across 4 Qx edf units ultimately checked (all I have )
Firstly the AEO perf chart numbers you've posted aren't even close... despite being at almost Double the Amperage.
Inadequate for purpose motor on the 8 blader, being my guess.
Secondly there is the aeo history of grossly exaggerated claims.. suggesting; Dog...as best descriptor.
Would be pleased to hear of ...user testings... that proved otherwise tho .
I'm a fan of metal shrouds and lotsa blades (when light weight tho)
Last edited by Bare; Apr 28, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
May 11, 2019, 05:10 AM
The weight makes me cringe for small models, along with the high kv requiring 2s and a heavier ESC than 3s. AEO has a new 30mm fan drawing high 2s current also. The practical use I see for these high power 30mm fans would be something like a Canberra, which would be decent size at scale, even with small 30mm fans. Otherwise I would prefer to just build lighter and have, with a number of 30mm EDF builds. As Bare says, the QX 7000kv is the best thing I've seen come along in the 30mm range. Works well in the 34" span TU-104 airliner.
May 14, 2019, 06:24 AM
I have a bunch of these for testing. Interesting that they are using inrunners instead outrunners. I have them setup for testing, more info soon.
May 14, 2019, 07:36 PM
yank and bank!!
I have a few QX 30mm fans too.... their bearings seem to be cruddy but since smaller bearings are $1 apiece from avid Id say they're a deal.
May 14, 2019, 09:37 PM
Your Non destructive method for removing the Qxs' motor shaft to rotor adaptor .. please? Not had a bearing issue but it's always a possible.
Removing the glued on rotor adaptor from the motor shaft without doing collateral damage I haven't figured out.. yet.
Original Qx prices at ~15$ were a deal... new demand increased pricings are less of a deal
May 15, 2019, 12:39 AM
Haven't had any bearing issues either and have used the QX fans in flight. Seems incomplete information to call bearings "cruddy", without describing why the unit was disassembled or if there was a failure mode. Maybe after hours of bench operation for some unknown reason? What would be the reason for attempting to fit smaller bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Your Non destructive method for removing the Qxs' motor shaft to rotor adaptor .. please? l
Speaking of that, the unit in this thread appears to have a HEAVILY knurled shaft, with a press fit rotor. Not easily serviceable.

Quote:
pretty much sold out for now.
...to be stashed by hobby parts collectors (not to be confused with hobbyists and modellers) and collecting dust around the globe.
Last edited by AntiArf; May 15, 2019 at 12:54 AM.
May 16, 2019, 07:33 AM
I tend to agree about the issue of weight for really small models.
The original small AEO (40 mm and below) were not particularly powerful (no 4s!) but they were light so as a result the thrust /g was actually not that bad, as was the thrust/Watt. There was simply not that much thrust!

To my mind it just needed a similarly super light air frame and battery to make effective use of it.
May 16, 2019, 11:52 AM
I originally bought a pair for use in an airliner. I wanted the metal housing for its rigidity, was just going to mold some thin Depron around the housing and hang em on the wing. Also have a second pair intended for a scratch built B-2. In both cases, wing loading should still be low.
Last edited by Joe 1320; May 18, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
May 17, 2019, 08:16 PM
yank and bank!!
I reread my post and see the confusion.... I'm saying I play with smaller motors and all of the bearings I've bought from avid have been $1 apiece.

I only intend to replace the bearings on the qx fans I have that are noisy even with no impeller in place. I can easily replace the bearings by loosening the setscrew in the bell hub and simply pulling the bell off of the shaft and the stator away from the housing.
May 18, 2019, 10:42 AM
Ok thanx for the reply .. but doing it that way doesn't read as easily done.. or perhaps even possible. (can't access the motor face bb)
Possibly applying a soldering pencil point heat to the rotor adaptor to soften the glue/locktite grip...Might work?
That said, I discovered that Tamiya sells very small upgrade ballbearings for their Teeny RC race cars.. ~10$ + a pair though.
Presumably of Tamiya /Japanese quality ?
May 18, 2019, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
I reread my post and see the confusion.... I'm saying I play with smaller motors and all of the bearings I've bought from avid have been $1 apiece.

I only intend to replace the bearings on the qx fans I have that are noisy even with no impeller in place. I can easily replace the bearings by loosening the setscrew in the bell hub and simply pulling the bell off of the shaft and the stator away from the housing.
They probably get bearings from wherever they can, versus one good known bearing supplier. I've bought well over 10 Feigao 12mm inrunners for small ducted fans, for example. One of them came with a less than perfect front bearing. Runs okay, but I wouldn't trust it for long. Of course I have a spare bearing from the one I overheated, a bit over propped in a geared setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
I originally bought a pair for use in an airliner. I wanted the metal housing for its rigidity, was just going to mold some thin Deleon around the housing and hang em on the wing. Also have a second pair intended for a scratch built B-2. In both cases, wing loading should still be low.
QX has a rigid housing, but seems to be the type of plastic (maybe carbon content) that can crack if abused. I cracked a small section of the intake lip on one of them and glued it back in place. Lesson learned, they're not the same type of plastic as a GWS housing.

Quick Reply