Jun 16, 2019, 06:17 PM
Cooling is easier for inrunners because the heat generating windings are on the outside surface instead of being covered by a spinning shield. Quality inrunners can be pushed harder because they are less prone to saturation of magnetic flux although I don't know if this is encountered often or ever in our applications. The inrunners sure seem to be up to what we require.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
Cooling is easier for inrunners
Quality inrunners can be pushed harder
The inrunners sure seem to be up to what we require.
I may not have had quality inrunners then ... smoked most of them for EDF (4S)

Seriously I don't think air cooled inrunners (so far) are any good. They may work well for
boats water cooling but then You need a gearbox ...
Jun 17, 2019, 06:14 PM
You never had an Astro or a Neu or an Aviox.
Jun 17, 2019, 06:32 PM
Quote:
I've got two Astro brushless motors, an Astro 05 and an Astro 40. Both require gear boxes. Those gear boxes have a brass motor pinion, and an aluminum driven gear. I ran them in a high speed rated grease. And, only got about 100 flights on those aluminum driven gears before they had to be replaced.

The Astro geared 40 was installed in one of my models, that was later upgraded to a Hacker A50-12S motor. That went from a 13X10 on the Astro geared 40 to a 15X10 with the Hacker, both running the same RPM.
Jun 18, 2019, 01:39 PM
Most of the current Astro's are direct drive. I only used up one brass gear in an 05.
Jun 20, 2019, 02:41 PM
Quote:
I had never heard about before You mentioned them. Searched for them and looked
at the price tags ... and that they are difficult to get ...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rnative-to-neu
Jun 20, 2019, 06:21 PM
There is or was Mega, Lehner, Hacker, and Jeti. Medusa Research and Razor have been absorbed by Neu. They are more expensive because they must be hand wound. I don't know about the status of MaxCim. Outrunners became popular quickly because of their cost and the fact that lipo's hit the market at about the same time making them seem very good. Astro Flight prices are also driven by their sumarium cobalt magnets which can tolerate a higher temperature without degradation. They told me their minimum order for these magnets was 1000.
Last edited by Al M; Jun 20, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 12:36 PM
Master Prop Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
I may not have had quality inrunners then ... smoked most of them for EDF (4S)

Seriously I don't think air cooled inrunners (so far) are any good. They may work well for
boats water cooling but then You need a gearbox ...

Same experience here with smoking inrunners in EDFs, I've also pushed one past it curie point causing it to demag. Lol! I could be wrong but I also can't see inrunners cooling better than outrunners for air cooled apps without some serious forced cooling and finned heatsinks.
Jun 21, 2019, 05:41 PM
The inrunners in EDF are burned because the manufacturer installs bad combinations in their models. usually they use a very light motor and with one Kv more for the load / voltage that is used.
Jun 21, 2019, 07:00 PM
Master Prop Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
The inrunners in EDF are burned because the manufacturer installs bad combinations in their models. usually they use a very light motor and with one Kv more for the load / voltage that is used.
I agree! I will also admit that I pushed them pretty hard.

I guess the inrunner vs outrunner comparison is hard to do. Each has benefits and disadvantages.
Jun 21, 2019, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarth
I agree! I will also admit that I pushed them pretty hard.

I guess the inrunner vs outrunner comparison is hard to do. Each has benefits and disadvantages.
Yes 15watts/g.
motor 100g, 3.53Oz. fore 1500 watts.
It sure burns quickly.
Jun 21, 2019, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Yes 15watts/g.
motor 100g, 3.53Oz. fore 1500 watts.
It sure burns quickly.
Holy cow, that's some 375 Watts per ounce of motor weight. You don't have a brushless motor up front, you have an electrical heater!
Jun 22, 2019, 08:56 AM
Currently, many models are ready to fly, but the bad selection of the motor, propeller, voltage; It produces many burned motors. Especially in the EDF area. Of course, there are more successful brands that are well designed in their motorization.
Jun 22, 2019, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Currently, many models are ready to fly, but the bad selection of the motor, propeller
+1 The one size fit's all, idea is a bad one for us who buy ARF/RTF planes! I guess it's the producer who want to cut cost
by just using one type of motor, ESC and servos. To cover up they use some well known experienced RC pilots as reviewers.

Who are paid to write some clever words about the not so great hopefully flying something ...
Jun 22, 2019, 10:25 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
... Of course, there are more successful brands that are well designed in their motorization.
... and don't lie, or even are conservative, in their specifications.

Prettig weekend Ron

Quick Reply