This thread is privately moderated by CorvetteC5, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 23, 2019, 08:30 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Bird Ornithopter, converted to 3 channels from 1

This is a fun conversion of an 11 inch wingspan toy bird ornithopter to hobby grade RC. I bought the Electric Flight Bird on sale and chose the 1-channel version, versus the 2-channel one at a higher cost, thinking of a conversion to 3-channel control. After a few months of experimenting, I landed at the V-tail version-five presented. Not complete, there is still detail to add to the tail and reshaping of the battery mount.

My creation consists of:
- replacing the stock fuselage and tail feathers with balsa, carbon fiber and foam.
- installing a Spektrum circuit board 'brick'.
- adding landing gear bent from 0.020" music wire and held in heat shrink tubing pockets.
- a fuselage 'keel' that permits fore and aft movement of the 1-cell flight battery for CG adjustment.
- flying with a 130 mah Lipo.
- adding a rubber nose cone (from Horizon Hobby micro airplanes) for a beak/bumper.
- replacing the stock crank arms, that flap the wings, with shorter versions to reduce binding.

Worth a closer look are the crank arms that I replaced. The stock crank arms worked fine with the wings not installed. The 6mm diameter electric motor would turn the gears very smoothly from fully closed to fully opened. However, after the wings were installed they would press tightly onto one another in the fully closed position, forcing the motor to push through this friction point. Seeing the problem, I replaced the stock crank arms with ones that have a hole spacing of about 0.5-0.6 mm shorter. This prevents the wings from fully closing (see picture) and thus prevents them from binding. The motor now turns freely throughout the wing flap, resulting in a bit higher RPM and lower current draw. My crank arms were cut from carbon fiber strip of 0.5 x 3 mm. They were covered on both wide surfaces with a thin coating of Super Phatic glue before drilling the holes, and then cutting to length.

-Curt
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Apr 23, 2019 at 09:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2019, 08:54 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP

Flight Videos!

Bird version four. First attempt at a V-tail:
RC Bird, version four, converted to 3 channels from 1 (2 min 2 sec)

Bird version five with V-tail 50% wider then version four:
RC Bird, version five, converted to 3 channels from 1 (4 min 8 sec)
Apr 23, 2019, 09:02 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
A walk back in time. This is version three of my Bird. The long tail was nice and stable but a bit awkward looking. LOL!

The low RPM 6mm motor used is for the Vapor airplane and benefited from larger wings. Yet still did not produce enough thrust for sustained flight with my bird. I thought I was being efficient with my build using the Vapor motor because it had a connector to plug into the circuit board, and the brass pinion gear meshed well with the Bird gear box. I was wrong.

After experiencing low thrust, I replaced the motor with the stock one that shipped with the Electric Flight Bird kit, and reduced the wing size back to stock too. This combination is working well, but they do run rather warm after a 4 minute flight at 50-55% throttle.

RC Bird, version three, converted to 3 channels from 1 (0 min 45 sec)
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Apr 24, 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Apr 23, 2019, 12:42 PM
Hi all
it's a bit confusing for me to understand the page, they can help me guide me where I can download some plane to make a foamy aircraft F 22 Raptor
Apr 24, 2019, 06:36 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miranda
Hi all
it's a bit confusing for me to understand the page, they can help me guide me where I can download some plane to make a foamy aircraft F 22 Raptor
I'm not trying to be confusing! LOL!

I have not created an F22 aircraft yet but have saved plans of similar aircraft from other designers. The attached two plans by Flite Test are the ones small enough to upload to RCGroups. They may be of use to you. If you do build your Raptor then please share your work.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Apr 24, 2019 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply