Apr 23, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Question

What is the best way to drive a big EDF without Batteries

So the question is about "Changesun 12 Blade 120mm EDF Ducted Fan"

I want to connect one to a low cost switch mode supply but unless I am mistaken the amperage of these fans is huge.

I am thinking ( Switched Mode PSU ) connect to an ( ESC ) connected to the ( EDF )

Any suggestions and advice to drive these with speed control as cheap as possible ?
Last edited by 4rthDimension; Apr 23, 2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: bad typing corrections and clarifications
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2019, 08:49 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you just want a desk fan, buy a desk fan.

What do you actually want to use the EDF for ?

Otherwise it's just a guessing game.
Apr 23, 2019, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
If you just want a desk fan, buy a desk fan.

What do you actually want to use the EDF for ?

Otherwise it's just a guessing game.
Hi Power air flow of course.
Apr 23, 2019, 10:21 AM
Sleepy Hollow, IL
The specs for this unit are 6 to 12S with a max current of about 120Amps. You would need a 150 to 160 Amp ESC and a servo tester to act as a throttle.
Issue here is that Amps are Amps; either you need a battery that can supply the current or a power supply that can supply the current. The ESC doesn't care what the power source is. The EDF is going to try and pull the current it needs. I don't know if there are any low cost switch-mode supplies that can supply the voltage and current needed for this EDF unit.
Apr 23, 2019, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampmaker
The specs for this unit are 6 to 12S with a max current of about 120Amps. You would need a 150 to 160 Amp ESC and a servo tester to act as a throttle.
Issue here is that Amps are Amps; either you need a battery that can supply the current or a power supply that can supply the current. The ESC doesn't care what the power source is. The EDF is going to try and pull the current it needs. I don't know if there are any low cost switch-mode supplies that can supply the voltage and current needed for this EDF unit.
160Amps :-))))))))))))

Yes, I think it is by far not at all easy to do.

What voltages is this, is that what you meant with 6 to 12S being 6-12V?
Apr 23, 2019, 01:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
6S and 12s refer to the number of Lipo cells, 6 in series and 12 in series.

A Lipo cell is 3.7v nominal and 4.2v full charged, so approximately 22v - 25v and 44v - 50v.

If you are considering a static EDF application, the fan could probably be partially stalled at the high rpm, so wasting a lot of amps. EDFs tend to rely on their forward motion for good air intake.

Apr 23, 2019, 09:41 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Hobby grade ducted fans do not work for turbo charger applications. These fans are very loud and hot.

Your project is doomed to fail if you don't help us understand WHY and HOW you need to use this RC aircraft ducted fan in a manner that it is not designed for. You can spend all your money guessing what will work and buying stuff that quickly gets ruined - or you can quit being so secretive and paranoid.

BTW - for a guy who does not know what voltage this runs at - I doubt you are ready to handle a kilowatt capable motor in a safe manner.
Apr 24, 2019, 12:24 AM
l120 Amps on a 12S LiPo? That's around 5000 Watts. You'd need a switching power supply with a 240 VAC input to handle that. Good luck in locating a power supply that can handle 120 Amps at some 44 Volts DC. IF you find one, it won't be cheap.
Apr 24, 2019, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd
l120 Amps on a 12S LiPo? That's around 5000 Watts. You'd need a switching power supply with a 240 VAC input to handle that. Good luck in locating a power supply that can handle 120 Amps at some 44 Volts DC. IF you find one, it won't be cheap.
Indeed, I am getting to the same conclusion.

Quick Reply