May 02, 2019, 08:15 AM
Retired CAD guy
Bravo !!!

Agreed with too much down thrust.

You thought it was tail heavy.

I was thinking Nose heavy if that much UP trim was needed.
I also thought I heard You say it was Floating on landing.

So loose the Down thrust and have another go.

Get it up high and cut the power see how it glides ( hopefully floats )
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 03:27 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
I took some of the down-thrust out (couple of washers under the bottom screws) ran the motor for a few minutes and it slowed right down, checked and it was very hot .. I can only assume the motor has had the bomb

Anyway I decided to change it and the only one I have on hand that will do the job is a Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV .. a bit heavier (about 30 grams) but it has mountains of power

My friend Mark made me the decals

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 03, 2019 at 05:26 AM.
May 04, 2019, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
I am going to build the foam fuselage for the Albatross .. but have also a new project on the drawing board

Decided that after having this on on the drawing board for a long time, it would make a good candidate for a hybrid .. here comes the Beechcraft Staggerwing .. the wing span is 1290 mm (50.7 inches) I am thinking maybe 1300 . 1500 grams for this one and this is the motor I intend to use (new sitting in its box ) Turnigy D3548/4 1100KV .. biggest problem with this one is going to be .. where do I put the hatch ??

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 04, 2019 at 06:42 PM.
May 04, 2019, 07:01 AM
When cows fly!
Love the Staggerwing!
May 04, 2019, 09:44 AM
Retired CAD guy
Classic Legends are always a great subject.
May 04, 2019, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Took the Albatros out today with the new motor, used a 1000/3s battery to lighten the front and it flew OK .. probably still a bit nose heavy and brought her in too slow and did a REALLY heavy landing causing the fuselage to break is 2 .. 3 or 4 actually .. result 1st pic .. unfortunately (for some reason) my hat cam didn't record the flight so I don't have the crash on video

Anyway I was determined to fly her again and move the battery further back to see how it would fly

Who said you cant repair plastic (single wall fuselage) with the help of one on the guys, we hot glued it back together AND I did fly it again and got video of the flight

Lockey

Albatros after crash and quick field repair (5 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; May 05, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
May 05, 2019, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Rather than try and repair the plastic fuselage "properly" .. it would really mean reprinting the whole fuselage .. I decided to retrieve all the foam parts .. wings, tail etc and make the foam fuselage

Some guys are under the misconception that foam is really hard to roll .. this is simply NOT TRUE

I see many videos showing how to roll foam and they are mostly VERY complicated ways of rolling .. there isn't any reason to complicate the process, it really is quite easy .. only thing you have to remember is to use clear packaging tape on the outside of the foam before rolling.

I know some of you guys are a bit reluctant to try rolling foam sheet, so I thought I would just do a quick little video showing how I do it,, this is Hobby King foam but its the same for your $ tree foam board .. if you use the $ tree board, I would remove the paper from the inside, do the rolling etc and then remove the paper from the outside (no need for the clear packaging tape)

I have used 6mm Depron for the skeleton/formers and 5mm Hobby King foam for the skins .. HK foam is easier to roll and Depron is stiffer for the formers .. BUT I could have used HK foam for it all had I wanted to ( I would have just made the slots a little narrower as they are designed for 6mm foam

Lockey

Rolling the Fuselage Skins (8 min 2 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; May 14, 2019 at 09:52 PM.
May 05, 2019, 04:48 PM
Retired CAD guy
Maybe , 3dp planes are destined for Museum pieces instead of actual flight.

Anyway you got the landing red out a the end . way to go !

Lighter foam will mean slower/easier landings .
May 05, 2019, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Maybe , 3dp planes are destined for Museum pieces instead of actual flight.

Anyway you got the landing red out a the end . way to go !

Lighter foam will mean slower/easier landings .
Yes Bob, I think you are right ... not really sure I want to continue with the Beechcraft Stagger Wing .. as nice as it looks this way, maybe I will revert back to the all foam version maybe just do the wing struts, nose cone, hatch etc in plastic

Oh well, I proved it can be done .. and it sure looked nice .... whether we could call it a success .. well that's debatable

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 05, 2019 at 08:25 PM.
May 05, 2019, 11:39 PM
Retired CAD guy
That seems to be the consensus , even tho most won't admit it.

3dP owners seem to "Get religion" about 3dPrinting, at least at first.

After over two years of using mine I have tempered my enthusiasm.
But ,we talked about that when I was in Perth. ;^}

I seem to be happier doing all foam models myself.

Too bad, as I really like the way the Magnum and your Albatros Looks.

C'est la vie !
May 07, 2019, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
More build on the foam fuselage

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 07, 2019 at 02:09 AM.
May 09, 2019, 09:10 AM
When cows fly!
Looking good!
May 14, 2019, 04:50 AM
Thread OP
Foam fuselage finished and ready to maiden .. probably about 150 grams lighter than the plastic fuselage

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 14, 2019 at 05:13 AM.
May 14, 2019, 09:48 AM
Retired CAD guy
Unbelievable !
What an effort !
May 14, 2019, 12:05 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
What ? No pilot that looks around and waves … hahaha

Brilliant job , and lighter too …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply