Apr 30, 2019, 01:21 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Now she is ready to fly ..

AUW with 2200/3s battery (balances good with this) 1122 grams (39.6 oz) a little heavier than I'd hoped but thats the downside of plastic, things like the ... in-filled nose, nose cone, landing gear, printed wheels, mock-up motor etc ... you get what you want but there's a penalty to pay .. that said, if it hadn't been for these in-filled parts (mainly at the front) it would have been impossible to balance .. I am sure a ALL FOAM one would be easier to balance and probably 200-300 grams lighter

Wasn't happy with the wheels so printed some more

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 30, 2019 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2019, 07:39 AM
Retired CAD guy
It will be hard to beat the low weight of store bought tyres.
I think that foam is used for Kayak interior padding .
It's machinable IF you have sharp tools.
But then you'd need a lathe.

Still, you do the fastest most amazing work.
Apr 30, 2019, 08:16 AM
Beautiful work Lockey!!!
I always think about how is the perfect mix between foam and 3d printing, and your work seems to be the answer

I’ll be waiting for the maiden video
Apr 30, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Beautiful work Lockey!!!
I always think about how is the perfect mix between foam and 3d printing, and your work seems to be the answer

I’ll be waiting for the maiden video
Thanks raj, appreciated

Lockey
Apr 30, 2019, 10:03 AM
Out the Window
Another beauty Lockey! I really like the colors you used. Easy to see in the sky!

I was looking at color schemes used on the Albatross DIII and there are some beauties!

GREAT JOB!
Apr 30, 2019, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ray, lets just hope she flies as good as she looks eh .. yes there are LOTS of nice colours for this one

Lockey
Apr 30, 2019, 07:25 PM
When cows fly!
Video!!!!!!!!!!
May 01, 2019, 07:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Super Job Lockey !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 01, 2019, 03:42 PM
Fabulous!

I've always liked the Albatross DIII and it looks like you've done a fantastic job of it

Been lurking and following your foray into 3d printed/foam hybrids with interest (and waiting for David to finish the Mosquito! ).

Look forward to seeing the maiden.
May 01, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Fabulous!

I've always liked the Albatross DIII and it looks like you've done a fantastic job of it

Been lurking and following your foray into 3d printed/foam hybrids with interest (and waiting for David to finish the Mosquito! ).

Look forward to seeing the maiden.
Hey Adam, wot you been up to mate, its been too long ..

You know me, always looking for something new and different .. this one has been a real challenge with lots of trial and error and wasted materials .. but .. hey, thats what I like to do AND, I think I am winning

I do believe there is a limit to what can be done with single wall "spiral" printing for this use or for any 3D printed planes really ..

Once you've had a smash or even a really bad landing, you can say bye bye to your plastic airplane as it simply explodes on impact, unlike foam where you can usually repair it and fly again .. remember our motto (from Dukejet) .. "Build ... Fly .. Crash .. Repair" .. etc etc, then fly again .. I am afraid not so with plastic, although the foam parts are usually OK to use again just print more plastic parts as I did with the Magnum

Looking forward (with anticipation) to maidening the Albatros

Lockey

PS.. Drawings are almost finished and ready to cut out a foam version of this
Last edited by Lockey; May 01, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
May 02, 2019, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Super Job Lockey !!!
Cheers mate .. hey, have you ever played with 3D printing ??

Lockey
May 02, 2019, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
Happy to say maiden went well and will have video up soon

Lockey
May 02, 2019, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Here's the maiden of the Albatros, as you will see, it is not over powered, maybe a bigger prop (I was using a 9 x 4.5) or possibly a 4/s battery plenty of options with this motor

I will be a lot more relaxed next time now I know its not going to do anything silly on me

I had to have some up elevator to make it fly, I have the bottom wing at zero incidence and the top wing with about 2 degrees positive incidence .. any ideas guys ?? I have a 4 degrees down thrust and also a 2 degrees side thrust .. these are built into the nose but I think maybe a little bit too much down thrust

Lockey

Albatros DIII Hybrid Maiden (5 min 21 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; May 02, 2019 at 05:56 AM.
May 02, 2019, 06:15 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That was Very Nice …!!! Beauty Field too …

No 3D printing here (yet) just Art …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 02, 2019, 06:53 AM
When cows fly!
Loved the video Lockey! The first flight was a bit sketchy, but the second was really good. You should build a vintage pylon racer since you have mastered the left turn!

Quick Reply