Apr 24, 2019, 01:40 PM
Retired CAD guy
~20 oz for a bipe sound spretty good to me !
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2019, 04:55 PM
Out the Window
looks great so far.....following
Ray
Apr 24, 2019, 10:13 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
looks great so far.....following
Ray
Hey Ray, I have already started working on a foam fuselage, and would imagine it would save around 200 grams or so

Lockey
Apr 25, 2019, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Bit more on the wings today

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 25, 2019 at 09:11 PM.
Apr 25, 2019, 10:17 AM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Hey Ray, I have already started working on a foam fuselage, and would imagine it would save around 200 grams or so

Lockey
Great, thanks Lockey! I was even looking at a couple of internet sites that will generate truncated cones. Your plans for the Taube were so well done, everything went together so well and most importantly the Taube flew so well. So if I have a choice I will go with the Lockey plans if available!!

Ray
Apr 25, 2019, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Great, thanks Lockey! I was even looking at a couple of internet sites that will generate truncated cones. Your plans for the Taube were so well done, everything went together so well and most importantly the Taube flew so well. So if I have a choice I will go with the Lockey plans if available!!

Ray
No probs mate, I will do a detailed build of the fuselage as soon as I have it finished, I have designed it to use 6mm Depron for the formers and 5mm Hobby King foam for the skin .. what will you be using for your build ?

I am making progress .. I have tried to keep the shape so the fuselage will be in 8 sections plus the hatch and will have a skeleton fuselage frame to slide the sections on to .. with only minimal sanding it should be a nice shape

Don't worry mate, rolling foam is REALLY easy so long as you tape the outer surface first with el-cheapo clear packaging tape AND get the grain running the correct way to roll .. I just put the tape on temporarily and remove it as soon as I have finished rolling

I didn't quite tape the wing far enough and forgot .. this was the result (it cracked) .. see last 2 pics .. I have had to repair it

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 25, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
Apr 26, 2019, 09:07 AM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
No probs mate, I will do a detailed build of the fuselage as soon as I have it finished, I have designed it to use 6mm Depron for the formers and 5mm Hobby King foam for the skin .. what will you be using for your build ?

Lockey

I will probably use some Dow Protection Board III that I have on hand. I have had better luck with it than my other choice Dollar Tree Foam. It is the foam that I used for the Taube.

I just measured the Dow FFF with my caliper and it measures about 5.24 mm. It should work and with a some colored tape and MonoKote it makes a strong build. I sure wish I could get a couple of bundles more of it, but it is hard to find in the US.

Ray
Apr 26, 2019, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I will probably use some Dow Protection Board III that I have on hand. I have had better luck with it than my other choice Dollar Tree Foam. It is the foam that I used for the Taube.

I just measured the Dow FFF with my caliper and it measures about 5.24 mm. It should work and with a some colored tape and MonoKote it makes a strong build. I sure wish I could get a couple of bundles more of it, but it is hard to find in the US.

Ray
That'll work Ray, you might just have make the slots a little narrower on the formers throughout the skeleton as they will be for 6mm Depron ... other than that, everything else will be the same

Lockey
Apr 26, 2019, 08:12 PM
Retired CAD guy
Hey Tony, you're out of order here !

You did the Hybrid 1st, then you did the all foam version !

Well, maybe you can use the 3dP parts as a Forming Buck for the Bent foam parts !
Apr 27, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
I am going to finish the hybrid first Bob .. as you know, the fuselage is all finished and I have the wings and tail parts ready in a day or so (when I can get back into the workshop )

I will then cut out and make a foam fuselage and maybe it will be there if and when I crash the hybrid .. cos you know what happens to the plastic fuselage if you have a crash .. or even a very heavy landing ..

Lockey
Apr 29, 2019, 05:26 PM
Retired CAD guy
That looks nice, as usual.

Good choice on equipment too.

Nice LG mod. That ought to do ya some good service.

Good on ya !
Apr 29, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob, I dint have any bigger wheels .. well ... not that would have looked right so I sat down last night and drew some up and printed them overnight and here they are ready this morning

Not sure how they will stand up to the job, I printed in PETG as I didn't have any soft filament for the tires ( I have ordered some black from HK )

Lockey
Apr 29, 2019, 08:36 PM
When cows fly!
Looking good Lockey!

Quick Reply