Jer. 29:11
Fascinating!
Apr 23, 2019, 10:34 AM
Disaster magnet
Looks like you're off to a great start!
Apr 23, 2019, 11:33 AM
Retired CAD guy
This is yet another great project.

I like that you're getting back to the idea of of stiffening up the Vase mode prints with Foam formers.
Apr 23, 2019, 02:53 PM
Stop to produce so many planes in no time!!! Lol

What a great idea take the aerodynamic Albatross for the printer... tubular fuselage like this are near imposible on foam without hours of sanding and for the printer are not difficult to do with lot of structural advantage.
In the same way biplanes are good for hybrid because offers lot of wing area compared to wing span.
My only concern is about the small ribs. I use the inverse method because ribs has a lot of small and precise cuts , and the printer can do it better than me. ( maybe you have a laser cutter??)
Please post the dimension and weight projected.

Congrats
Apr 23, 2019, 08:14 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Top wing span 1070mm .. bottom wing span 930mm .. length 840mm and I am expecting it to weigh around 1kg (I am hoping a little less) it will depend on what motor, battery, if it will balance OK etc

Wings are under-cambered and made from Depron with KFm airfoil under

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 23, 2019 at 08:25 PM.
Apr 23, 2019, 10:27 PM
When cows fly!
I can't wait to see the maiden video!
Apr 23, 2019, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
This is yet another great project.

I like that you're getting back to the idea of of stiffening up the Vase mode prints with Foam formers.
Yes Bob, the Magnum was probably as big as you could go without some internal stuff .. even formers in the Magnum wouldn't have gone amiss .. and added VERY LITTLE weight

The parts on this one fit together really nice and with the formers inside, its easier to slide the parts together and glue
Apr 24, 2019, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Fuselage all glued together, servos in for the rudder and elevator and push-rod tubes glued in, I will have a couple of holes in the cockpit area where the pilot sits to screw the pushrods to the servo arms, this will then have a foam cover extending a bit to look like a cockpit surround .. (see last 2 pics)

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:56 AM.
Apr 24, 2019, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Depron parts cutout .. All up weight of foam bits 118 grams .. All up weight of plastic parts 430 grams .. total so far = 548 grams

Lockey
Apr 24, 2019, 05:22 AM
Looking fantastic can't to see it fly
Apr 24, 2019, 05:29 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Great Job Lockey !!! If that is exact scale , you “may" want to make the tail feathers slightly Bigger for stability … Just a humble suggestion .
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Apr 24, 2019, 05:43 AM
When cows fly!
Apr 24, 2019, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Great Job Lockey !!! If that is exact scale , you “may" want to make the tail feathers slightly Bigger for stability … Just a humble suggestion .
Thanks mate, appreciated, horizontal stab looks WAAAYYY big but was a little doubtful about the fin/rudder

Lockey

Quick Reply