Apr 22, 2019, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade grip end play

I had to replace the rotor head housing on my Trex 500 because it wouldn't tighten securely on the main shaft and was causing tail bobbing. Now the blad grips have .010" of end play. The only shims I have for the blade grip bearings appear to be about.025" thick so they won't work. Any problems flying with .010" of end play? If not, whats acceptable? The feathering shaft screws are bottomed out on their heads.
Last edited by crasher47; Apr 22, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2019, 03:22 AM
Sounds like a mis match to me. Contact the rotor head manufacturer. Was the tail bobbing caused by vibration? That little play shouldn't hurt, but shouldn't be there. I'm also curious why the rotor head became loose. Blades not balanced? Vibration? bent main shaft? There IS a reason for it. Good luck!
Apr 23, 2019, 10:16 AM
some helis can have a lil end play and that should center during spoolup as long as things are balanced. might want to look at the how to that shows using a dremel cut off wheel to take just a hair off each end of feather shaft and get that right .made because the one shaft is going to be that lil over
Apr 23, 2019, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCl
Sounds like a mis match to me. Contact the rotor head manufacturer. Was the tail bobbing caused by vibration? That little play shouldn't hurt, but shouldn't be there. I'm also curious why the rotor head became loose. Blades not balanced? Vibration? bent main shaft? There IS a reason for it. Good luck!
The loose rotor head was made by Gartt. I bought the heli used and it was on it when I bought it. Changed to Align and fits snug on the shaft. Tail bob problem fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdugas
some helis can have a lil end play and that should center during spoolup as long as things are balanced. might want to look at the how to that shows using a dremel cut off wheel to take just a hair off each end of feather shaft and get that right .made because the one shaft is going to be that lil over
I have extra feathering shafts and might try that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply