Apr 22, 2019, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Plane Storage Without Nailing Into Wall

As the title says, I need to store my planes without putting nails into the wall of my apartment. There is a great wall above the building table that would be easy to hang fuselages and lay wings, but I cannot put nails (it's horse hair plaster and landlord says no nails).

Has anyone ever hung up things like that?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2019, 10:20 AM
Missileer Extraordinaire
I have used PVC pipe to make a floor rack. You may be able to use some bulkhead fittings to screw to the building board and go up from there.
Apr 23, 2019, 11:07 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
There are bicycle racks that do not require nails...maybe steal an idea from that? Some lean against a wall, others are floor to ceiling...like a compression-type curtain rod.

https://totalwomenscycling.com/lifes...FLOF6uxU2eU.97
Apr 23, 2019, 12:56 PM
B for Bruce
It'll need some manner of feet on the floor to stand up and be stable if you can't drill into the wall. And if you need feet then I'd suggest you go with casters and make the vertical support surface able to use both sides for model parts.

The idea would be something like THIS ROLLING WHITE BOARD in concept but with some other method for providing shelves and supports for fuselages and wings. I'm thinking something like 1/4" sheet of some sort with an array of light duty shelving arm rails. I know that Home Depot has the Rubbermaid line of vertical rails and click in arms. The arms can then be used to either directly hold light duty shelves for some items and with foam pipe insulation added can directly support wings and fuselages. And the casters would allow both sides to be used but easily accessed.

Now those rolling white boards are not cheap. But I suspect that something could be built from 1x4 lumber, a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood and a handful of the construction bracket angles and shelf brackets all from Lowes or Home Despot for probably $80. Then add on another $80 or so for the shelving rails and arms. Or if you can find a rolling white board or old "greenboard" around for cheap that could be the basis of a nice rack for models.
Apr 23, 2019, 09:40 PM
Still circling in sink...

Free standing storage rack

This looks like it's built in but it's free standing. 2x4s, plywood, shelf rack system and pipe insulation. Holds about 8-10 planes depending.
Apr 23, 2019, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
These are all good ideas. I think that something can be built with 2x4s to fit my space. I'll take some measurements and start planning now!
Apr 24, 2019, 10:23 AM
B for Bruce
Look at using 1x4. It's more than strong enough for holding up a few model planes provided you use it with the major bending loads taken by the wider dimension. And a LOT lighter to move around.

That storage rack jpg isn't opening for me. Not even the thumbnail.
Apr 24, 2019, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Look at using 1x4. It's more than strong enough for holding up a few model planes provided you use it with the major bending loads taken by the wider dimension. And a LOT lighter to move around.

That storage rack jpg isn't opening for me. Not even the thumbnail.
That is a good idea. I only need to hand NOS woodies, of which I only have 3-4 at the moment. The other planes go in bags.
Apr 24, 2019, 06:20 PM
Can you use your building table as some sort of support system?
Apr 24, 2019, 08:47 PM
Still circling in sink...
1x4s would definitely be lighter - but cost more than 2x4s. But in a visible area, 1x4s would also look nicer. Check the width of the track system to make sure it's not too wide for a 1x4. I think it would be OK.
Apr 25, 2019, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Can you use your building table as some sort of support system?
My build table is a folding card table and probably shouldn’t hold any weight like that. I’m going to try and build something free standing I can stick behind it.
Apr 25, 2019, 06:14 PM
B for Bruce
Just thinking that another option if you don't want the models showing all the time would be a free standing armoire. Then bag all the models and hang them from the top and just close the door.
Apr 25, 2019, 06:19 PM
Back in the Last century we would use floor mounted stands.

wouldn't something like that work.

whacker
Apr 25, 2019, 09:12 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
I know you said no nails...but are just two OK?

A 1x2-ish section of wood is secured with two screws to the wall, and can hold a whole bunch of fully assembled planes. They can overlap each other too.

Loops of rope get screwed to the board, then run under the tail/over the wing/around the nose.

IF TRULY NO NAILS, then just make a right-triangle of boards...with a vertical board down to the floor, attached to a horizontal floor-board that sticks out far enough to clear the mass of planes (what, a foot or two out from the wall?) And then a hypotenuse board angled back up to connect to the top board.

Merely having all the weight BEHIND the front of the floor-board will keep it balanced against the wall, until an earthquake hits.
Apr 25, 2019, 09:15 PM
Life Long Modeler
I made a pvc rack that holds 10 planes. (Still using it after 9 years). I first mad it to stand in a corner in my apartment . I marked all the pieces for disassembly in case I have to move it. It's string enough to hold all my planes

Quick Reply