Apr 22, 2019, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Proboat Recoil 17 modifications/quest for 30 mph...

Wanted to open up a new thread about this small boat and see who is out there running them and what your ideas are.

I like the quest for more speed and the challenge in getting that speed.

We have 8 boats now:

PB Riverjet
PB RC17
PB RC26
PB Jet Jam
PB BJ 29 V2
PB Miss Geico 24
PB Sonicwake
Atomik Barbwire XL

I have to say, the Recoil 17 is just the most fun and actually has us heckling and laughing all the time with it's crazy on, out of, and under water antics! Lol

Anyway, I decided to get a bit more serious with getting more speed out of this little beast.

In the beginning, it was a 24.8 MPH boat on the stock Reaction battery. Put a Venom Graphene in when the stock battery gave up and it was a solid 26.0 mph boat.

Upgraded to a Dasboata prop and we jumped to 27.3 mph. Now, I was really hoping to see a 3-4 mph gain with the new prop, but, being that the boat is so upset on the water, I decided to start implementing some modifications. Stuff that I've read about, or seen people do, some with success, some without.

Well, I performed 3 modifications (term used lightly,) and as I hoped, the boat picked up almost 1.3 mph and new top speed of 28.5 mph! So, it is now as fast as our stock Atomik Barbwire XL (2nd fun factor boat.)

So, the goal is to see 30.0 MPH out of this little rocket and I think that's not out of the question.

Anyone else out there pushing this thing beyond it's limits? I'd like to share mods and hopefully hear about some that I don't know about....
Last edited by PBSPEED; Apr 25, 2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2019, 03:58 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Try slipping the bigger motor from the upgraded Barbwire 2. I believe it drops right in, though not 100% sure of that. They both use a similar collar-type motor mount.

And run a 32mm 1.4p 2-blade prop with it. A cut-back (de-tongued) prop might give you an extra MPH or two as well.

Motor:
https://www.atomikrc.com/collections...wire-2-rc-boat

Cut back 32mm 1.4p prop:
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80705
Apr 22, 2019, 08:25 PM
Thread OP

Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Try slipping the bigger motor from the upgraded Barbwire 2. I believe it drops right in, though not 100% sure of that. They both use a similar collar-type motor mount.

And run a 32mm 1.4p 2-blade prop with it. A cut-back (de-tongued) prop might give you an extra MPH or two as well.

Motor:
https://www.atomikrc.com/collections...wire-2-rc-boat

Cut back 32mm 1.4p prop:
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80705
That motor would be sick....

I'll have to check what prop I have from Dasboata. It's sharpened and balanced...
Apr 22, 2019, 08:53 PM
Barb 2 motor won't work unless you do some cutting. I got 28mph with the stock prop. I tried the prop from the barbwire 2 and a 30mm and 32mm props and the boat had torque roll bad and wasn't any faster.

Pro Boat Recoil 17 stock speed test #2 (28mph) 3-9-18 (2 min 48 sec)
Apr 23, 2019, 01:41 AM
Just Plane Nutts
-delete-
(duplicate)
Apr 23, 2019, 01:44 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRCER
Barb 2 motor won't work unless you do some cutting. I got 28mph with the stock prop. I tried the prop from the barbwire 2 and a 30mm and 32mm props and the boat had torque roll bad and wasn't any faster.
The cut-back prop I posted will have smaller blade area and induces less roll effects, while allowing the motor to unload a bit more versus a regular 32mm prop.

What needs to be cut to make the Barb-2 motor fit? The rearmost post mount for the ESC?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lbXA24ZnNsU/maxresdefault.jpg
Apr 23, 2019, 09:37 AM
Quote:
What needs to be cut to make the Barb-2 motor fit? The rearmost post mount for the ESC?

The Barb 2 motor will hit the molded support rails that run under the motor and I believe the rear ESC mounting tab will hit the motor. It wouldn't work unless I wanted to hack on it when I was going to install one in mine.
Apr 23, 2019, 01:35 PM
Just Plane Nutts
OK then, not a "drop-in" but still might work with minimum effort. I assume the stock motor mount still fits? I notice a separate mount at Atomik for the version 2 boat, but the only difference I can see is the color (grey instead of silver).

I had to remove a lot of plastic posts and ribs to fit a new mount and flex drive in my FT012. You do what ya gotta do.
Apr 23, 2019, 04:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The cut-back prop I posted will have smaller blade area and induces less roll effects, while allowing the motor to unload a bit more versus a regular 32mm prop.

I'm gonna try that prop for sure. And, I'm pretty confident I can hit 30 if not damn close... I've got a few other little tricks I'm trying out....
Apr 23, 2019, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
OK then, not a "drop-in" but still might work with minimum effort. I assume the stock motor mount still fits? I notice a separate mount at Atomik for the version 2 boat, but the only difference I can see is the color (grey instead of silver).

I had to remove a lot of plastic posts and ribs to fit a new mount and flex drive in my FT012. You do what ya gotta do.
I'm not afraid to alter things to make it work...
Apr 23, 2019, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRCER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_edYmYT6z4
28 on stock prop means the Dasboata prop does near nothing for this boat which I find hard to believe.....guess I'll toss the stock prop back on and see what happens now that I've done some other modifications...
Apr 23, 2019, 06:23 PM
Last edited by MADRCER; Apr 25, 2019 at 05:50 PM.
Apr 24, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thread OP

"I'm not afraid to alter things to make it work..."

...was in response to AirDOGGe...

However, MADRCER, you felt it necessary to respond as if it was directed at you.

Next....you misinterpreted my "28 on stock prop..." statement obviously. I don't find 28 mph on stock prop hard to believe, (my RC17 went faster) I was finding it hard to believe that the Dasboata prop did not improve performance.

Next, somehow you chose to turn this into a "my boat is faster than yours" response. Apparently you felt the need to preach, and if this was meant to help educate me, it read otherwise.

So, since you took the time to type 8 different points, here are my responses:

1. Definitely not
2. Worse conditions than you run in if you've been following along
3. Oh of course NO, your batteries are TOP SECRET
4. Nope
5. This isn't Rocket Science
6. NA
7. NA
8. No, I'm not thinking about any of it. Reading part of what you wrote it sounds as if you're trying to help, but, other parts read as very condescending and that you think noone can do what you've done. If that's the case, I'd probably get that thought out of your head as nothing in this hobby is out of reach for anyone willing to go the distance and experiment. Most people don't and won't however.

Since you're challenging my credibility, I'll return the favor and say that you use the term "STOCK" quite loosely.

"Stock with Dasboata Prop" = NOT STOCK

Reminds me of the Mustang guys I used to stomp with my little 4 cylinder and they'd say, "well, it's stock so..."

Come to find out, intake, throttle body, cam, headers, x pipe, and 3.73 gears was "STOCK"

Very interesting.....

So, my RC17 is less than 1 mph from breaking the 30 mph barrier....
Last edited by PBSPEED; Apr 25, 2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: LOL
Apr 30, 2019, 11:02 AM
Thread OP

Update...

The 17 ran 29.8 MPH this morning.....

So my thought that 30 MPH is possible appears to be correct....

So close, but yet so far away.....😎
Apr 30, 2019, 01:34 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Sharpen the prop blades a little more
Take some 600 grit sandpaper to the last 4-5 inches of hull bottom near the stern to remove the gloss, dull/roughen the surface and reduce water adhesion (water sticks to glossy or glass-like surfaces).
Sharpen the leading end of the rudder if made of metal

...and try again. You are close enough for those little speed tips to take you over the goal line.

Quick Reply