Aug 03, 2019, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
With combat models flown for sport there's no such thing as "too hot". Speed is part of the fun. And if it's a bit too much fun in terms of lap times then use slightly longer lines.

If pure solo fun flying is the goal and the model can be built very lightly with little crash resistance then a good reedie model could be done with around a 28 to 30 inch span and around 130 to 140 square inches of area to come in at around 5 ounces. Such a model would fly superbly. And with a 5x4 prop should fly fast enough to have reasonable tension on around 32 to 35 ft lines.

For a good TeeDee or Fora model for pure solo fun flying I'd be asking toad for some size measurements to go along with the 6.5 ounce information. And if such a model could be lightly built to the same size and just 6 oz the performance would be staggering.
That was the red one with the TD, I didnt build it. all I did was weigh it. I am so new at this it is embarrassing
Last edited by toad007; Aug 03, 2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2019, 02:53 PM
Here is a picture of the battle tested girl on a scale. I wish I knew what it is. 6oz even.
crazy, thats with the lead outs.
This wing is 32" span with a wing area of 176sq's
The Sonic has a 300sq wing @36" , that one I put norvels on. lol I have not tried the picco in flight yet.
Last edited by toad007; Aug 03, 2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add
Aug 03, 2019, 03:14 PM
Here is the predecessor to the current Sonic Chicken. This thing I got from another friend I met this yr.
It's a couple oz's heavier but has been repaired many times. designed around hotter engines. what a blast to fly.
Aug 03, 2019, 03:16 PM
These are both beaters, I dont mind doink'n em.
Aug 03, 2019, 03:21 PM
When I get my new models, I'll post a pic or two here, The designer is busy with the comming up Bladder Grabber. His prices are very fair.
Aug 03, 2019, 03:33 PM
I am thinking if a feller trained on one of these, then built a full fuse 1/2a Nobler or Mirage,.... I get giddy thinkin about it.
Aug 03, 2019, 05:05 PM
Here are a couple pics. One is beside an F2D to show size. The other is a pic from the Nats quite a few years ago. I think I should put the Fora on the little foamy. I machined up a mount already, but didn't really like the sewn hinge. The Russian models are like the F2D but a bit smaller. I think they are around $40
Aug 03, 2019, 10:40 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
I am thinking if a feller trained on one of these, then built a full fuse 1/2a Nobler or Mirage,.... I get giddy thinkin about it.
Unless that feller finds the combat models to be rather too fast and yearns for a more stately slower and precision aerobatic model those would be a letdown in terms of absolute flying performance. Nothing gets the juices flowing like a crisp handling super fast combat model. Or perhaps it would be more fair to say that precision aerobatics is also fun but in a rather different way.

I've done 1/2A, various .15 glow and diesel combat models and even a couple of .35 size. I finally met my match when my buddies that regularly fly in the Bladder Grabber let me try one of their competitive models and it was just too much for my ability. I survived the flight but DANG it was going to take a LOT of flying of such models to be able to fly the model on instincts and divert some attention to the "target"...... I stuck with the .15 diesel that the rest of the group was flying at the time instead.

Those numbers you gave are all that an aspiring designer would need for a good flying hot combat/stunt wing. Combine those figures you gave along with the noted flying weight with an Eppler 472 airfoil done as a either a D tube sheeted wing or in the Russian method with a balsa rear and light white foam leading edge and you'd have a real winner. I don't do control line any more but if someone wants to have a go at such a design I'd be happy to help if they need it. Mostly one just needs to copy stuff that is already out there. But in a rather minimal way that is light but still fairly stiff.

Note that a big feature of the Russian models with the foam leading edges is the ability of the foam to be cut by the string of a streamer and snag the knot. For a pure solo fun flying model that isn't needed and perhaps a simple all built up and covered model would be the way to go instead. Or a model that uses a formed 1/32" "D" tube leading edge. Or very light contest grade 1/16" sheet leading edge.
Aug 04, 2019, 12:33 PM
Id luv a Mirage 1/2a built up with a 1/32 leading edge D tube, I seen a similiar model that had a 225sq" wing and sported an AME revlite Norvel turning a 6x3 running rich. It was a very informative article I wish I could find it again
Aug 04, 2019, 12:48 PM
What I like about the Russian combats is the ability to survive a crash. I think the newer ones have EPP or depron or whatever to bounce better. They are very light, so no weight is pushing them to break. The Foras hit at 100 mph, but a slower motor would not hit as hard. I saw a nice stunter using an F2D plane and a fuselage that flew well. It was a .15 though. The fuselage snapped a few times but the guy was happy with it, training himself and the kid. I was out yesterday with an F2D plane and a slower AP .15 and it flew fairly nice. A bit fast, but a bigger low pitch prop would have helped that if it was desired. Flew the Bislob after to get the slow buzz. Tank problems on both. I know this is not .049 related, but I kind of think the Russian 1/2A models look good, especially compared to the old Satans and Combat Kittens in the old days.
Aug 04, 2019, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
What I like about the Russian combats is the ability to survive a crash. I think the newer ones have EPP or depron or whatever to bounce better. They are very light, so no weight is pushing them to break. The Foras hit at 100 mph, but a slower motor would not hit as hard. I saw a nice stunter using an F2D plane and a fuselage that flew well. It was a .15 though. The fuselage snapped a few times but the guy was happy with it, training himself and the kid. I was out yesterday with an F2D plane and a slower AP .15 and it flew fairly nice. A bit fast, but a bigger low pitch prop would have helped that if it was desired. Flew the Bislob after to get the slow buzz. Tank problems on both. I know this is not .049 related, but I kind of think the Russian 1/2A models look good, especially compared to the old Satans and Combat Kittens in the old days.
I agree, They say the Foamies take a bounce really well for awhile, I do like the Russian planes though. I dunno how well those take a hit in the ground, I know the Current Sonic just bounces so ya can only hope ya did not bend a crank. Anyway, Iam just using these to get reactive flying skills then onto the stunters and speed stuff if my interests hold

Quick Reply