Apr 24, 2019, 06:13 PM
AMA Another Mans Airplane
get a Sig Skyray. theyre $15, super easy to build and will do a pretty decent pattern even on dacron lines. you wont regret that one!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2019, 06:44 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
I always liked the look of the Mirage. My brother scaled down the original .46-sized version to 1/2A size before Flying Models published the plan for Lou Wolgast's 1/2A version. As I recall, it flew well, but was way more airplane that we could handle at the time.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2453

Steve
Apr 25, 2019, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
I always liked the look of the Mirage. My brother scaled down the original .46-sized version to 1/2A size before Flying Models published the plan for Lou Wolgast's 1/2A version. As I recall, it flew well, but was way more airplane that we could handle at the time.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2453

Steve
A kit is available from Brodak. Way too much for a BW. It was used with a TD or perhaps a Medallion.
May 04, 2019, 08:33 AM

Mirage

When I have got some flying experience (back) I am definitely building a Mirage...
May 09, 2019, 10:20 AM
Try Vintage Performance by Stan Fronabarger he has some of the nicest laser cut kits of all the classics 1/2a on up!!! yogi
May 12, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi1
Try Vintage Performance by Stan Fronabarger he has some of the nicest laser cut kits of all the classics 1/2a on up!!! yogi
Amazong planes!! Thanks for the tip, i started an akromaster but soon ill start a plane for a 40FP and the BW, so he have many prospects!
May 19, 2019, 01:59 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Phil Cartier of Core House sells the twin kit for the foam wing Li'l Hacker

I have one of these in progress. One will have a conventional Cox Black Widow .049 and the other will be set up for electric power. Be an interesting way to compare internal combustion vs. electric power.
Jun 05, 2019, 07:47 PM
Pinto , Tercel , mini Spectrum , mini Mirage .
These are 1/2 size ( 1/4 the area ) of conventional ships .
Jun 05, 2019, 08:27 PM
------
Quite a few 1/2A plans here:
http://www.controllineplans.com/halfa.htm
Jun 06, 2019, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Thabks corolian! Thanks again
Jun 09, 2019, 06:58 AM
------
And an original "Pinto" kit in the classified!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...o#post42045621
Jun 15, 2019, 11:06 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
The Sterling Baby Ringmaster was a good flyer for me.... I flew with a Black Widow , later a VA.049..... Built from the Sterling kit and had a heavy wing covering material,. Build it light and it would be a good flyer...

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5652

Best regards,

jeff
Jun 16, 2019, 08:45 AM
B for Bruce
I did a lot of 1/2A flying over the years way back and still enjoy a good .049.

While one of the hotter reed valve engines the BW is still not a major power house. The TeeDee is still a very noticeably stronger engine. So for a BW to fly a nice stunt model you need to keep the model REALLY light. Certainly no more than about 8 oz (225gms). If it gets much over that performance will suffer.

Smaller models will tend to be faster. And with any 1/2A engine there is simply not the excess power to permit a rich level run and break into leaned out in the maneuvers. So the only two ways to slow down the model is to make the model a little larger so it has a little more drag and to make the lines a bit longer to slow down the rotation rate. But if not careful or you try to richen the engine to slow it down even more than you lose line tension too easily. And as you know 1/2A models have precious little line tension to start with.

One way to lighten the model is to leave out any landing gear. On a small model like these where weight is critical I would suggest that giving up on wheeled takeoffs and landings and flying over grass is a small price to pay for lighter and more agile in the air.

All else being equal a built up wing will "turn" tighter and lose less speed doing so. So I'd agree that you are best off to make a design that has a good airfoil. And I also agree with you that the extra structure of a built up fuselage would mean you need a LOT of extra care in wood selection to keep the model light enough.

With this in mind some great options would be a Baby Flite Streak. But there's some other good suggestions for profile models that you could scale down. In each case I'd suggest staying with around a 25" wing span to maintain a good flying size and maneuvering performance. And great care in wood selection is still going to be needed to keep the weight down to around 7 oz (200gms).

A scaled down Ringmaster would be another nice option. And one of my own favorites is the [URL="https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8116"]Magician

Really though just about any stunt model scaled down to around 63cm span and built lightly would work. Or with a simple enough fuselage you might get away with using a built up design. Perhaps something like this Gay Devil?
For the scaled down model the sides could be done in 2mm balsa with 2mm doublers back to the wing spar to support the firewall. Top and bottom sheeting done in 1.5mm. Tail surfaces done in light C grain 2mm or go for built up framed surfaces of 3mm x 8mm with 3mm square "ribs". A bit more work but light and stiff in the end.
Jun 16, 2019, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the inputs. Ill be working on a newer plane in a month or so, but i think ill design on myself. Was thinking on 25"-30" wingspan with very light balsa, no so thick airfoil, short tail moment, profile (but structured, no plain sheet) fuselage
Jun 23, 2019, 12:37 PM
To the best of my knowledge of reed valve Cox engines you should not think too much. I suggest that, to avoid disappointment, you'd build something like Baby Flite Streak, fit a suitable prop (6x3 at the most, 5x3 or 4 preferred), attach her to 35 feet lines, fill the tank with 20-25% nitro fuel and you'll be happy in a clear windless day. Good luck

Quick Reply