Jul 22, 2019, 01:59 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Hope the test flight and tuning phase goes well!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 08:36 AM
608 km/h!
What is the all up weight if I may ask?
Good luck for the maiden.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
@josh18 I'm not sure of the weight yet. I had to switch radios, so that's caused a short delay while I make some parts for it. I should know soon though.

Hey Alex. I'm fairly confident that it's gonna suck. Overall the design seems sound, but I believe that the double stacked spars aren't the best solution in this material. There is definitely a lack of torsional rigidity whichsseems to be coming from the material flex between the spars. Larger square versions might work better, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm gonna huck it and see. I'm also mindful that I might not be able to balance with this nose, but that's a quick fix.
Jul 23, 2019, 11:03 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Yeah the top and bottom Spars will only work if they're fully secured, that being glued in. Larger Singular ones like you originally showed us will be best for removable sections
Jul 23, 2019, 11:41 AM
I'm a big fan of carbon strips instead of tubes for spars. If it comes down to it, we can get some carbon specially made for the project, but I think that sort of defeats some of the goals..
Jul 23, 2019, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Yeah the top and bottom Spars will only work if they're fully secured, that being glued in. Larger Singular ones like you originally showed us will be best for removable sections
They're glued in, but I think the issue is that the materiel between them is still quite flexible. There really needs to be a stiff web between them, which I'm not quite sure how to immediately solve.

Wait... I have an idea, it could work if there is enough space. The aft portion of the wing is quite thin which is problematic. I'll make a test part to see what kind of results it nets.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Printed a new version that is far less floppy. Here it is ready to fly (D40 for scale).
Sep 18, 2019, 10:02 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Woohoo, fly time!
Sep 18, 2019, 11:09 PM
Nice - did you switch to 98A hardness material to stiffen it up?

Thanks for the inspiration. I've got a 3d printed plane project in mind that might come to fruition in the next couple of months, using a rigid internal structure with TPE 98A leading edge and skin.

Good luck on the maiden.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:51 AM
Happy to see the progress and hope the first flights go well!
Sep 19, 2019, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Maiden was supposed to be today, but sadly it wasn't to be. It was pretty windy at Weldon today (peak gusts of 47mph while I was there). When the wind was in the 30's, my wife helped to launch. She's not at all experienced at launching, and I clearly did not convey all that she needed to know. The second failed launch ended with stripped gears on one servo. The worst part is that it's going to be a month or more before I can get back out to test. I have a couple of tweaks I want to make anyway, so this will give me the time to do so.

@Gbreeze - No, I used a far less flexible filament. Something in the 45D range.

Quick Reply