May 14, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbreeze
Looking great!

What are your thoughts about surface finish? It will be interesting to see if the performance changes noticeably before and after smoothing if you have a good way to smooth it.

G
The surface is pretty smooth. You can ask the others that have seen it for their opinions. I have no intention of post-process smoothing.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 07:33 PM
608 km/h!
I thought about the finish too but any ridges look to be running in the direction of airflow so I would have thought wont make much difference.

UFO, what is stopping you from printing the elevon as part of the main wing?
Cheers
May 14, 2019, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18
I thought about the finish too but any ridges look to be running in the direction of airflow so I would have thought wont make much difference.

UFO, what is stopping you from printing the elevon as part of the main wing?
Cheers
Yah. I've oriented the prints so that there is minimal layers perpendicular to the airflow.

The elevons are printed out of HTPLA+ rather than TPU. So, the filament difference is why. I could use a multi-material extruder and have them fused together, but the waste from those is astronomical. As it is, the elevons just slide on from the side, so it's pretty easy.
May 16, 2019, 05:33 AM
608 km/h!
Ahh that makes sense. Keep it up!
May 16, 2019, 12:11 PM
the occasional flyer
Difference in material is because you need more rigid elevons?
May 16, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
Difference in material is because you need more rigid elevons?
Exactly. The TPU would be very floppy. I did consider (and still might try it later) having the entire wing TPU with no elevons, but a rigid section (inserted) that the control horn would mount to that allows the wing to just warp in that area. My concern is that there won't be enough travel. We'll see when/if I get around to it.

Quick Reply