Apr 30, 2019, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
One of my design goals is to keep the interior design simple. I want the slicer to handle the infill. This should be easy to print, be strong, and look good.

Fusion 360
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2019, 12:08 PM
the occasional flyer
How long does a typical print take? Like one of the chunks shown in post #2?

-David
May 01, 2019, 12:42 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Less pointy bits might be better for bounceability and to get balance weight forward.
May 01, 2019, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
How long does a typical print take? Like one of the chunks shown in post #2?

-David
Those parts with the fuselage section take a while. As I recall, they were in the 18hr range? Normally I start the larger prints after dinner and it's ready for me to look at in the morning.
May 01, 2019, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Less pointy bits might be better for bounceability and to get balance weight forward.
Thanks. Ian suggested that it might need a longer nose. I was considering making it rounder anyway. This is just what I did to start with. Currently I'm refining the nose and tail attachment system. Then I'll adjust the shape as necessary.
May 02, 2019, 12:26 PM
the occasional flyer
Plus, with nose weight, the fuse is in bending just like the wings. You'll probably need some longerons that go through the fuse and into the nose. Otherwise it might pop off in flight.

-David
May 02, 2019, 03:12 PM
Trust me, I think he has a firm grasp on what is needed. :P
May 02, 2019, 11:54 PM
608 km/h!
Thanks for the info- really cool!
May 03, 2019, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
I'm pretty pleased with the tail portion now. I decided to print the vertical stab separately from the tail cone to eliminate the need for supports and keep the overall print cleaner. This means that it will have a glue joint though.

I've added grooves to index the tail, along with a push lock mechanism so it can be easily removed and stored separately, or stuck back in parallel to the wing to keep them together but flat.

Getting the nose printed now (new lock on it), and finishing up the first run on the rest of the wing panels with spar placement. I've attached a few pics of the tail, and as people like to see build pics, a couple of my build environment.

Edit: The front portion of the tail cone is hollow. I did this to allow for a reinforcing carbon tube. I'm not sure if it will be required or not, but the hole is there.
Last edited by ufoDziner; May 03, 2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added carbon tube note.
May 03, 2019, 09:43 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Yes!
May 03, 2019, 11:04 AM
Hold my beer and watch this
Really cool. What kind of printers are you using?
May 03, 2019, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite
Really cool. What kind of printers are you using?
The first 2 are Bear MK3s with some modded parts to increase reliability (each of these machines has ~3000hrs of print time on them). The end one is a Prusa MK3 with Bear X and Extruder, and other modded parts for reliability. The corexy is a Voron 2.1. It's the newest addition to get more build volume. All run Klipper.

The nose attach is done. It holds REALLY well, but needs a tool to attach it. The lip has to be tucked into the slot a bit. It's not tough to do, but must be done... for now.
Last edited by ufoDziner; May 03, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
May 03, 2019, 01:10 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thanks for sharing your R&D. Loving following this
May 14, 2019, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Quick update. I've got most of the parts drawn up in their final test stage. The spar perimeters that can be seen in the prints are still smooth to the surface, they just look funky. The wingtips are PLA, and will be removable/replaceable easily. The color change in the TPU is of no significance, I just didn't have enough green to make it through the night, so I swapped to orange.

Also, the spars have arrived. I'm hoping to get a partial assembly done this week!
May 14, 2019, 01:59 PM
Looking great!

What are your thoughts about surface finish? It will be interesting to see if the performance changes noticeably before and after smoothing if you have a good way to smooth it.

G

Quick Reply