Apr 22, 2019, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Bouncer

As I don't enjoy building, and suck at it to boot, but want something that is more resilient than a carbon bird. So I decided to make things easier on myself. This design is about 75% complete (needs some fitment tweaks, etc...). It looks a lot like a number of other planks, but is not a copy of any. Personally, I don't love the way planks look, so I went for a longer fuselage to help me feel better about it. It will use 4ea. KST X08H servos, and has a mount for a 20x20 FC inside the top hatch. There are a total of 6 spars, but only 2 are in the pic (bamboo only used for fitment).
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2019, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Pics
Apr 22, 2019, 12:36 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Having seen and felt some of these bits in person, I really must say I think Wes is onto a winner here. Super idea with the tpu and feels like a laminated epp plane
Apr 22, 2019, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alex. You can see the alternate spar layout is worked in. I'll bring the newest parts to Weldon this week/weekend.
Apr 23, 2019, 03:14 PM
Hold my beer and watch this
Looks awesome! Ill have to give this a try.

Whats the wingspan? Curious what your plan is for the elevons?
Apr 23, 2019, 03:15 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Looks really cool. Can't wait to see it in action.
Apr 23, 2019, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite
Looks awesome! Ill have to give this a try.

Whats the wingspan? Curious what your plan is for the elevons?
Thanks! 1.4 meters. I have a couple of options I'm trying. Both are printed and connect to a live hinge that is printed as part of the wing (this may get changed to a separate print). They're also split, so 4 total surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Looks really cool. Can't wait to see it in action.
Thanks! I'm curious to see how it goes as well. I'm sure it will take a few iterations to get right, but then I think it will be a decent solution for me.
Apr 23, 2019, 04:32 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
Have a pic of the entire plane? Do you plan to open source the design? I do believe that 3D printing is the replacement for EPP within the next 2-5 years
Apr 23, 2019, 04:38 PM
the occasional flyer
For those who don't know what TPU is..

Today's 3D Print - TPU Rocket. Indestructible? Maybe.. (3 min 4 sec)

-David
Apr 23, 2019, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasairIII
Have a pic of the entire plane? Do you plan to open source the design? I do believe that 3D printing is the replacement for EPP within the next 2-5 years
This doesn't show the sections. It's just an overall model. Subject to change without notice, etc... Also, the elevon gap is weirdly represented. It's actually very small/non-existent as there are wipers on both the top and bottom.

I'm torn on the open source part. I'm not planning on selling it, nor do I want the headache of maintaining any requests (unless solicited by me). I'll certainly print some for friends that can't print their own though.

I'm shooting to have a 1hr construction time. Total build for most would be not much longer than that. I'll have a FC installed that requires some wiring, so it will likely take me a bit longer.
Last edited by ufoDziner; Apr 23, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
Apr 23, 2019, 05:36 PM
the occasional flyer
It will be interesting to see how a TPU wing holds up to aerodynamic loads. The spars should take the bending loads, but torsion? You might flutter at 60 mph.

-David
Apr 23, 2019, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
It will be interesting to see how a TPU wing holds up to aerodynamic loads. The spars should take the bending loads, but torsion? You might flutter at 60 mph.

-David
For sure. It's gonna be fun to find out.
Apr 23, 2019, 09:14 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner
For sure. It's gonna be fun to find out.
Respect!!
Apr 24, 2019, 12:28 PM
As a guy that does a fair amount of riding his moto to the local DS hill with plane on back, I'm watching this with interest. Keep up the good work!
Apr 24, 2019, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
First fitting of an elevon to the hinge. The top wiper was too thin and therefore didn't print. The bottom is good and the top will have a similar one.

Quick Reply