Apr 22, 2019, 08:57 AM
San Diego California
Thread OP
Build Log

DIY Submarine 2019 project

Submarine, it's a magic word make boys excited by the secret scent almost like a hideaway base in bushes. There are kinds of design concept from scale model of real war ship to autonomous submarine drone etc. and all of them are still excite grown up boy like me too.

Here are my DIY submarine design outline and priority.

1. A vessel controlled by RC transmitter ------ 27MHz frequency band
2. Insure recovery ------ positive buoyancy
3. Static diving ------- diving thruster
4. No compromise WTC ------ no through hole shaft or link

Waterproof components such as ESC, servo and motor need to be checked their reliabilities because those are seldom designed to be submerged.
And most important concept is "cheap as much as possible" so that you still can have good Sunday brunch with your sweetie.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2019, 11:47 AM
Steps? What steps?
The motor is no problem, a brushless outrunner can run fully submerged. Do not put the ESC outside the WTC! Three brass bolts through the WTC will conduct the electrons, bolt the motor and ESC wires to either end of the bolts. Servos may be more of a problem, few are sealed well enough to function fully submerged for extended periods. Make sure the servo wires are sealed where they pass through the WTC.
Apr 22, 2019, 12:02 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozer
The motor is no problem, a brushless outrunner can run fully submerged. Do not put the ESC outside the WTC! Three brass bolts through the WTC will conduct the electrons, bolt the motor and ESC wires to either end of the bolts. Servos may be more of a problem, few are sealed well enough to function fully submerged for extended periods. Make sure the servo wires are sealed where they pass through the WTC.
Thanks for inputs. These are the points I definitely have to consider beside the BL motor. I tried to make an easy maintenance motor (no ball bearings) so that it could be rinsed and dried after every run. No need to be greased or oiled. I also expect "viscous lubrication effect" by the water too.
Submersible motor trial No 1 (1 min 55 sec)
Apr 22, 2019, 12:44 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP

Child resistant ? WTC

1-7/8" x 8-7/8" WTC is fabricated.
Apr 22, 2019, 01:09 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Why reinvent the wheel-I use oregano and parmesan cheese containers...
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Apr 22, 2019, 01:30 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Why reinvent the wheel-I use oregano and parmesan cheese containers...
Well, this is clear rational why I chosen these medicine containers especially these two are not same size.
Yes, the size did matter. I wanted have a just right size WTC I needed.
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 22, 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Apr 23, 2019, 06:44 AM
San Diego California
Thread OP

The thruster

Sure, I could use oregano and parmesan cheese containers but I still use these yellow transparent containers.
Ooooops.
I think I made a big mis-judgement. The outrunner motor is designed for in air usage and it has ribs for centrifugal air flow.
This causes cavitation at high rpm in water. I should notice it before hand. OK, I learned.
Submersible BL motor trial 2 (1 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 23, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
Apr 23, 2019, 10:17 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP

Sneak preview

I know some hate this junk but all look good to me so far.
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 24, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Apr 24, 2019, 10:42 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP

Building of monocoque fuselage

Or I should call it hull ? The upper and lower are bolted by brass screws.
The Italian biscotti container has good transparency although I will paint it to be visible.
If you have a couple of prescription drug, cost nothing up to here.
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 25, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Apr 25, 2019, 07:32 PM
San Diego California
Thread OP

Buoyancy test

Without all necessary wires, needs a little more float in nose but wires will make some difference.
Now, I'm waiting for the propellers I order by $4.17 a pair from Shenzhen, China.
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 25, 2019 at 07:37 PM.
Apr 26, 2019, 04:57 AM
San Diego California
Thread OP

Diving steampunk?

Her see through look is not bad at all.
BTW, every quarter of the body panels are detachable for maintenance.
Last edited by Old NEET; Apr 26, 2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply