Apr 21, 2019, 10:48 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
Discussion

Nrg wing ....

Hello all

I thought id start sharing some of my production journey ..

Soo I am starting from scratch and designing my own slope wing . I like the gizmo but i also like the older zagi style wings so i am trying to get the best of both worlds for my own . At the moment i am in the design and test stage of version #4 with a PW51 body and root cord out to an Eppler foil blend at the tips , in its final form i will be making these in a Carbon / Kevlar / Glass vacuum molded layup with a 3D printed plastic internal frame for the removable internal spar . Next design attribute i like of another slope wing is i saw a composite bat wing that splits in the center to reveal the rx and battery bay that slides along the carbon spar. As for the vertical stab, the likes of the gizmo and wisel and many other wing designs they have 1 central vertical stab and as much as this is the most efficient i do not wish to do more of the same ol. Id like to achieve a decent performance but still keeping a smallish format around the 900mm span point.

so all of these designs i am doing are in Fusion 360 and im 3D printing them to test the shapes .. i have attached a few shots of version 3 printed and a few shot sof version 4 in production. within fusion

version 3 has flown which was fun , wish i could upload vids on here.

i have put in maaaaaaaany hours into this already and have a few great people helping me with design tips any opinions or tips are welcome.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2019, 12:06 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Very futuristic. I like it.
Apr 22, 2019, 05:01 AM
Looks great, to post a video you will have to do a youtube vid then post the link here.

cheers Kev.... see ya at the Bluff on Thursday ???
Apr 22, 2019, 08:30 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
Yea mate hopefully
May 20, 2019, 12:21 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
Update to my progress Version 4 is looking promising and i have done a few revisions to it and now 3/4 printed out my test prototype) this winters winds have been pretty poor here in south aus cant wait to fly it..
May 20, 2019, 12:24 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
The orange one is version 4 and green is version 4.1 .... more pics and some vid to come soon
May 20, 2019, 12:31 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
Changes and progression have included a new tail design instead of wing tiplets and a better servo bay as well as imoroved internal structure. This pic is shot of the digital design of ver4 . A full pic of ver4.1 to come soon
May 20, 2019, 12:41 PM
the occasional flyer
How has Fusion worked out? I tried modeling a simple wing sort of like this, but I could only loft four or five ribs before it freaked out. So I had to do the wing using like six lofted surfaces because it wouldn't do it all in one. Klunk.

-David
May 20, 2019, 11:19 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP

not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
How has Fusion worked out? I tried modeling a simple wing sort of like this, but I could only loft four or five ribs before it freaked out. So I had to do the wing using like six lofted surfaces because it wouldn't do it all in one. Klunk.

-David
HEY HEY .. i can say fusion has been tricky to learn and a whole year ordeal but i have managed to do single piece 360 degree lofts to get the wing profiles , but in saying that the wing is made up of 4 lofts laterally to get blended profiles

my only tip on that is when doing the shape sketches is keep your control points to a minimum on splines and take your time pree planning before laying out your sketches. the more i made the sketches full on the more it glitched ,, I am only using an intel i7 2330k with 16 gig of ram and GTX 660 in my pc for this, i would not want to go any less powerful as its a struggle.
May 20, 2019, 11:32 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
here is a screen shot of version 4.1 of the NRG wing prototype in bite size chunks for the 200x200x200 workspace of the 3d printer

the new wing tips are flat extenssions of the wing profile swept back, Also ive gone from tip fins or one central fin, to 2 smaller slightly outboard fins at the start of the elevon . also it has some minor internal changes and servo bay adjustments
May 20, 2019, 11:48 PM
Morologus es
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRGFPV
here is a screen shot of version 4.1 of the NRG wing prototype in bite size chunks for the 200x200x200 workspace of the 3d printer

the new wing tips are flat extenssions of the wing profile swept back, Also ive gone from tip fins or one central fin, to 2 smaller slightly outboard fins at the start of the elevon . also it has some minor internal changes and servo bay adjustments
Looking good!
May 21, 2019, 02:58 AM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
Ver4.1 full body printed
May 26, 2019, 07:44 AM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA
Thread OP
version 4 was a 90% sucsess .. time for version 5

NRG WING (3 min 54 sec)
May 26, 2019, 08:14 PM
NRGFPV LISDEXIA