May 09, 2019, 05:07 AM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
I have been on a self-imposed exile from golf to see if I can heal up a bit. Body lameness, aches, and pains mainly in the lower back, right wrist, and occasional flareups of IT Band Syndrome have kept me away. It will be like starting all over again when I go out today for some chipping and putting before heading over to walk the 3 hole course a few times. I am in the middle of a 8 1/2 day vacation and haven't touched a club. I've also stuck around the house because my brother just had his second hip replacement in 6 months and he would need some help getting out of there in case of an emergency. It has been a week and he is getting a little more active.

One thing I know is that without having spent $1,800 for a full golf membership doesn't force me to be over there every day. The game suffers a little bit but the wallet is fatter. I just wish the body would come around to enjoy it more.
May 09, 2019, 05:31 AM
Official Old Git!
I haven't played in 3 or 4 years. Not a very good golfer, but enjoy the 'technical' challenge (especially when it goes right! )

Shoulder gets a bit painful, knees seem to be knackered and just not as free to move as I use to be.

Getting old is annoying!!
May 09, 2019, 05:39 AM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
I haven't played in 3 or 4 years. Not a very good golfer, but enjoy the 'technical' challenge (especially when it goes right! )

Shoulder gets a bit painful, knees seem to be knackered and just not as free to move as I use to be.

Getting old is annoying!!
You have a few years on me but I feel your pain. My stroke doesn't feel (or look - I've videoed it ) fluid and this game don't go too well when you force things. Go with the flow and let that baby fly is the motto for today. Plus I've got to get the distances down for these new to me forged irons.

I remember my Dad saying "these golden years are not so golden". I haven't got there yet and I feel like crap 7 days a week.
May 09, 2019, 10:08 AM
May 09, 2019, 02:23 PM
Equinsu Ocha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin
I'm doing upgrades.

Just ordered a Hzrdous black TX flex 75 for my Titleist 907 D2 (yeah its old but I love it).

Putting new xtra stiff shafts in my fairway woods also.

I have been playing 34 years and half that time Golf club pros have been fitting me for S shafts, and I have been telling them they don't work for me. I did a computerized golf fit swinging normal, the pro at Vans told me to get the stiffest shafts I could find, I have always had a compact high energy swing. I hope I can get things working with the feel I like.

In high school I played with a rifled titanium shaft in my driver called a Ti Stick.

Good news:

So I ended up putting a Hzardous smoke in my driver. Tested it out at Vans. Regular swing not going after it hard came out 150 mph off the club face, swing speed 115 average. The stiffer shaft feels great, I'm one happy camper.

Bad news:
Othopedic told me today there is mechanical damage in my knee and is scheduling an MRI.
May 09, 2019, 03:05 PM
Hey... I broke down and took a lesson today...really helped. I was afraid he was going to do some major changes but just gave me a few minor things to work on. Left hand adjustment so I now see three knuckles instead of one. Pointers on hitting the ball first then the ground. And the biggest change...he asked if I ever hit knock down shots..i said no...he showed me how...i was knocking the he'll out of it...he said there is your new swing!!! He filmed me....my swing is much better...i don't come back as far...also a minor wrist adjustment! Going out tomorrow to give it a try!
May 09, 2019, 05:32 PM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
My 35-mile drive ended up with about 35 minutes of 95% crap on the range. It was super windy with it blowing left to right and it looked like it might rain any second. My lawn care outing last night with the trimmer reared its ugly head in the lower back on the first few swings. It turned into a no body/shoulder turn affair and things were weak. I started with the ball tee'd up just a bit. When I put it on the ground it was an ugly mess. I never did take a proper divot in all that. It was either fat shots or low rockets off the deck. I lasered a flag 153 yards out and started with a 5 hybrid which I've only really hit a few times on a simulator. I counted 3 shots that were dead on target and landed within a few yards of the pin from that distance. Most of the solid shots were straight pulls. Just for giggles, I took a 3 wood out and hit 3 pulls that registered 185+ on the portable launch monitor. I put one on the ground and proceeded to take a divot 5 inches behind the ball for a meaty 87-yard carry. That was enough for me to call it quits.

May 09, 2019, 07:59 PM
low rockets =lift up or breaking wrist before the ball...handle of cub needs to be ahead of the ball at impact. divit after the ball.

strait pulls is a over rotation issue
May 09, 2019, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur
The golf season is getting into full swing. Tiger pulled it off and so can we on a smaller scale. Post your golf related stuff for all to enjoy. It can be pretty much anything from scores, practice routines, new/old equipment purchases, etc. Maybe we can learn from others to improve our games. I know I needed it after today.

My season started 2 weeks ago with 2 days of practice green time with chipping and putting. I did hit about 30 balls from the driving range but gave the rest to a kid because I was whipped and started to hit major crap. I went into an indoor simulator for two nights after the outdoor sessions. Needless to say, the back gave out so I rested and took some Aleve and some more Aleve. A guy at work got a foursome rounded up so all that range stuff would be put to the test. Well, we all know how that goes the first few times out until you get your feet wet. Speaking of wet, it was and it was cart path only. Sometimes you had clubs that were not correct but who wants to keep walking back and forth for that. The ball never lands on the cart path side of the course. It does pad the score quite a bit but the enjoyment is being out there. My handicapping ended mid-summer 2018 because of injuries piling up and drastically changing my swing to compensate. It was workable on the smaller yardage home course but didn't fare too well when 800-900 yards was added. I ended with a 16.7 handicap and hope to get below 10 this year. I'm not a member anymore so the courses will be changing and will make things a little more challenging because I won't be getting the members bounce.

The bad:
104 on a 6,128-yard course rated at 69.5/121
Nursing bad back so the swing is a little on the compact side and things are 3 1/2/ clubs short from last year.
The right wrist is locked in a brace from injury last fall so that isn't helping distance.
Way too many topped balls.
I thought my putting and chipping would be a strong suit but the slow greens had me slamming putts past and I skulled a few chips.

The good:
Being out there with the guys enjoying time away from work.
Trying out new to me forged irons.
Three pars the first time out.
I had to test the back with a little more body turn and crank it out 248 yards.
As of right now, my back feels pretty loose.

All of the golf courses should be seized and converted to housing developments for Veterans.
May 09, 2019, 10:36 PM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
low rockets =lift up or breaking wrist before the ball...handle of cub needs to be ahead of the ball at impact. divit after the ball.

strait pulls is a over rotation issue
I will work on that stuff. Saturday looks like the only day without rain. God, I love picking vacation months in advance and when it rolls around it rains for 3/4 of it and I'm fighting some ailment.
May 09, 2019, 10:41 PM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings
All of the golf courses should be seized and converted to housing developments for Veterans.
Housing for Veterans would be easy with the seizure of property of every illegal alien and people who overstay their visas. A discount in the pro shop for green fees and cart passes would be a good gesture too for the brave men and women who defend this country.
May 09, 2019, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Really....really?...take your rhetoric else where.
May 09, 2019, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur
I will work on that stuff. Saturday looks like the only day without rain. God, I love picking vacation months in advance and when it rolls around it rains for 3/4 of it and I'm fighting some ailment.

Paint a white line in the grass. Put the ball on that line and start with just a chipping stroke 1/4 swing..make yourself hit the ball then a diviot...it is hard but this is the lesson I just learned front a pro teacher. Then start with half swing and so on. I have not mastered it but working on it.
May 09, 2019, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Really....really?...take your rhetoric else where.
Make me.
May 10, 2019, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Make me.
TDS rears it's ugly head.

Quick Reply