Apr 21, 2019, 08:58 PM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
Discussion

2019 LTUP Golf Thread...

The golf season is getting into full swing. Tiger pulled it off and so can we on a smaller scale. Post your golf related stuff for all to enjoy. It can be pretty much anything from scores, practice routines, new/old equipment purchases, etc. Maybe we can learn from others to improve our games. I know I needed it after today.

My season started 2 weeks ago with 2 days of practice green time with chipping and putting. I did hit about 30 balls from the driving range but gave the rest to a kid because I was whipped and started to hit major crap. I went into an indoor simulator for two nights after the outdoor sessions. Needless to say, the back gave out so I rested and took some Aleve and some more Aleve. A guy at work got a foursome rounded up so all that range stuff would be put to the test. Well, we all know how that goes the first few times out until you get your feet wet. Speaking of wet, it was and it was cart path only. Sometimes you had clubs that were not correct but who wants to keep walking back and forth for that. The ball never lands on the cart path side of the course. It does pad the score quite a bit but the enjoyment is being out there. My handicapping ended mid-summer 2018 because of injuries piling up and drastically changing my swing to compensate. It was workable on the smaller yardage home course but didn't fare too well when 800-900 yards was added. I ended with a 16.7 handicap and hope to get below 10 this year. I'm not a member anymore so the courses will be changing and will make things a little more challenging because I won't be getting the members bounce.

The bad:
104 on a 6,128-yard course rated at 69.5/121
Nursing bad back so the swing is a little on the compact side and things are 3 1/2/ clubs short from last year.
The right wrist is locked in a brace from injury last fall so that isn't helping distance.
Way too many topped balls.
I thought my putting and chipping would be a strong suit but the slow greens had me slamming putts past and I skulled a few chips.

The good:
Being out there with the guys enjoying time away from work.
Trying out new to me forged irons.
Three pars the first time out.
I had to test the back with a little more body turn and crank it out 248 yards.
As of right now, my back feels pretty loose.
Apr 21, 2019, 09:19 PM
Well I would say that you're doing great considering the brace and bad back. I can't play if my allergies act up.

I got new clubs last year that I'm still getting used to. I went from heavy pro Wilson Staff blades to light, Taylor made Rocketblades game improvement irons. No 3 iron was in the set, and the 4 and 5 are hybrids which I'm struggling to hit well. I keep getting behind and topping them. The latest Youtube lesson I'm trying, is to keep the right elbow in which should move the low point of the swing arc to the left.

I just know my buddy is going to beat me tommorrow as I work on this new stupid idea.
Apr 21, 2019, 10:17 PM
characters welcome!
I've been spending more time in the game the last few years. Our course playing here in BVS is free to residents so that's a nice thing.

I'm paying a 2015 set of Calloway XRs now after playing for years with Browning 440s. The difference is like driving Detroit iron most of your life then receiving a Vette for your birthday.

Got my first hole-in-one in Palmdale last year. 6-iron at the 158 yard par 3 16th with the sun in our eyes. Finally found the ball (a 75 cent Wilson) in the cup after looking all over for a good five minutes. Cost me $200 for lunch for the guys and I couldn't have cared less.
Calloway sent me a congratulatory plaque for using their clubs and instant notoriety at our local club for a good while.

Good thread, JBH.

mw
Apr 21, 2019, 10:35 PM
They call me Crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerjohn
Well I would say that you're doing great considering the brace and bad back. I can't play if my allergies act up.

I got new clubs last year that I'm still getting used to. I went from heavy pro Wilson Staff blades to light, Taylor made Rocketblades game improvement irons. No 3 iron was in the set, and the 4 and 5 are hybrids which I'm struggling to hit well. I keep getting behind and topping them. The latest Youtube lesson I'm trying, is to keep the right elbow in which should move the low point of the swing arc to the left.

I just know my buddy is going to beat me tommorrow as I work on this new stupid idea.
Been working on the same right elbow thing on the range two days ago....if done right you will see a big difference in driving distance....i did. Going out in the morning so I will keep you updated. One thing that has really helped in traps and short game is a move called hinge and hold....youtube it under phil micklson ....I..practice that a lot love it from 80 yards in.

Also bought a was fitted for Callaway rogues 5 through Pw...love them10 to 15 yards more. Was playing big berthas....dated them back to 1996...were my dad's old clubs
Apr 21, 2019, 10:42 PM
They call me Crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
I've been spending more time in the game the last few years. Our course playing here in BVS is free to residents so that's a nice thing.

I'm paying a 2015 set of Calloway XRs now after playing for years with Browning 440s. The difference is like driving Detroit iron most of your life then receiving a Vette for your birthday.

Got my first hole-in-one in Palmdale last year. 6-iron at the 158 yard par 3 16th with the sun in our eyes. Finally found the ball (a 75 cent Wilson) in the cup after looking all over for a good five minutes. Cost me $200 for lunch for the guys and I couldn't have cared less.
Calloway sent me a congratulatory plaque for using their clubs and instant notoriety at our local club for a good while.

Good thread, JBH.

mw
Wtg on the ace! Last year a guy in my forsome got one...too cool to watch.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:01 PM
Eye of The Storm
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerjohn

I just woke up and was thinking of stuff I wasn't doing from last year. Today, my right elbow was flying about. Luckily, I wasn't hitting many slices but things were just short, short, and short. Next time out at the range, I will tuck that right elbow and get that repetitive stroke down again.

I should have added in my original post that I switched from Titleist 916 AP1's to Nike Pro Combo Forged irons. I got them off from eBay and they came as a 3i-PW, A set. I also purchased a 2i for the set but took it out last night and put in a 17 degree Nike Vapor Fly hybrid. I thought I'd be in the higher grass more starting out and the hybrid does go through better than the long iron. It is strong but my distances with the 2H, 3H, and 4H were pretty much the same off the deck. Were I gained is off the tee with the 2H. If I play the executive course then it is all irons and a lightweight Sunday bag. That course is 2 par 3's and one par 4 and will see the bulk of my training exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood

Good thread, JBH.

mw
I haven't been into golf for too long. I've never heard of Browning 440's.

Congrats on the hole-in-one and Calloway for the plaque. I got my ace the second full year of playing. I watched it all the way from 132 yards with two little bunny hops and rolling into the cup. I was pin seeking that day and also had my best 18 hole round to date. I've lowered it by 10 a couple of times before the ailments started creeping in. My only eagle came a month earlier from 92 yards out with a slam dunk into the hole. Never seen it because it was uphill. It made a helluva racket going in. I looked around the green first because I didn't see any ballmark before deciding to take a look in the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Been working on the same right elbow thing on the range two days ago....if done right you will see a big difference in driving distance....i did. Going out in the morning so I will keep you updated. One thing that has really helped in traps and short game is a move called hinge and hold....youtube it under phil micklson ....I..practice that a lot love it from 80 yards in.

Also bought a was fitted for Callaway rogues 5 through Pw...love them10 to 15 yards more. Was playing big berthas....dated them back to 1996...were my dad's old clubs
Keep us posted and good luck!

I have that dvd of Phil's and will be revisting it.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:09 PM
whiirrrrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000

I'm dang near a pro at the Micklson hinge and hold. The rest of my game sucks, but that little move right there was like getting a shortcut from thousands of hours of practice to just dozens. Even before I ever played a round and just was messing around at the chipping range, I taught a longtime golfer that move and sent him the links to the video. I like to practice both ways still because it isn't best for *all* shots, but when it's right it works, and gets those hands in front of the clubface every time.
Apr 21, 2019, 11:31 PM
Equinsu Ocha
I'm doing upgrades.

Just ordered a Hzrdous black TX flex 75 for my Titleist 907 D2 (yeah its old but I love it).

Putting new xtra stiff shafts in my fairway woods also.

I have been playing 34 years and half that time Golf club pros have been fitting me for S shafts, and I have been telling them they don't work for me. I did a computerized golf fit swinging normal, the pro at Vans told me to get the stiffest shafts I could find, I have always had a compact high energy swing. I hope I can get things working with the feel I like.

In high school I played with a rifled titanium shaft in my driver called a Ti Stick.
Apr 22, 2019, 04:12 AM
You know nothing....
I’m just chilling at the 19th hole,waiting for the inevitable.......
Apr 22, 2019, 06:51 AM
They call me Crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness
I'm dang near a pro at the Micklson hinge and hold. The rest of my game sucks, but that little move right there was like getting a shortcut from thousands of hours of practice to just dozens. Even before I ever played a round and just was messing around at the chipping range, I taught a longtime golfer that move and sent him the links to the video. I like to practice both ways still because it isn't best for *all* shots, but when it's right it works, and gets those hands in front of the clubface every time.
What a coincidence....like you it is not a ever time shot.....I play around with using 9 and 8 iron.....amazing how far the ball goes with just half a swing with hinge and hold. Some times I twist why wrist and the ball shoots left....when I address the ball on that shot first thing Iconcentrate on is keeping the wrist stiff.....off to the course!
Apr 22, 2019, 07:42 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Shot a legit 44 Friday which is great for me. Only used one ball which is shocking. The magic disappeared and I shot a 103 on Saturday, but in general I'm more consistent now that I choke down a little on my driver and I quit chipping with my sand wedge. It's much easier for me to chip with my gap wedge. I play Taylormade Burners that I think they're at least 8 years old. I'd get lessons before I got new clubs.

I played with my 15 yo son. We had him fitted for Titleist CB irons with stiff shafts and it made a difference. I wish I could try them but he's a lefty.
Every time he grows an inch it hurts his game. I never realized how that messes with your swing. He's 6'-4" and growing.
He played poorly (for him) and shot an 83 from the tips. Not too bad for playing the course for the first time.
Apr 22, 2019, 10:48 AM
I used to play in college. Us friends decided to enroll on a whim and wound up playing for 4 years. We played on an municipal lynx, but a $10.00 per semester, it was more than fine; we had fun. My driving was OK, it's the greens that killed me; typical. In the 90's and 2000's some co-workers played and couldn't believe what they paid; I'd rather fly RC. Besides, they took it fairly seriously.
Apr 22, 2019, 10:57 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran
I used to play in college. Us friends decided to enroll on a whim and wound up playing for 4 years. We played on an municipal lynx, but a $10.00 per semester, it was more than fine; we had fun. My driving was OK, it's the greens that killed me; typical. In the 90's and 2000's some co-workers played and couldn't believe what they paid; I'd rather fly RC. Besides, they took it fairly seriously.
You can join some clubs and walk for free in the afternoons. We rode 18 Saturday and the total was $58 for four.

My kid has a youth membership so he can use the range for free and can play a couple holes no charge.

It's like anything else, you can spend a ton if you don't pay attention.
Apr 22, 2019, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
I haven't played in a few years but I am hoping to get out this year.
Apr 22, 2019, 03:02 PM
They call me Crash!
Phil Mickelson - Chipping Hinge & Hold Method (0 min 31 sec)

Quick Reply