Apr 21, 2019, 03:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Thread OP
Help!

How do I use a Spektrum AR6400 with DXe as 3 channels?

Hi all

I think this is a dumb question- but here goes....

I have a couple of 3 channel Spektrum rxs- one was NIP for the Park Zone Vapor with an LED port. One of the rxs has a non-functioning elevator servo. I used to fly it with a DX 4e. I got a little leary of the pots on the DX4e so I went to a DXe. What I've discovered is that the 3 channel rxs only work with the DX 4e- the DXe makes unpleasant noises when trying to bind.

I've also got a bunch of AR6400 rxs. I had intended to use them in 3 channel airplanes- rudder (on the right stick) elevator, throttle. I have a lot of rudder/elevator small airplanes- not so many need ailerons. But the DXe uses the rudder channel for the servo, i.e. left stick. I've gathered I'm supposed to reprogram the Tx to interchange the rudder and the aileron stick. But I'm a luddite- I only have a dumb flip phone and I have a desktop Mac which is what I'm typing on. None of the programming stuff I've seen for the DXe works with what I've got- the programs call for smart phones or a PC. One option is to use an extra servo but this seems extravagant and heavy.

What do people do? Is there some non Specktrum rx that will work as 3 channels with rudder on the right stick? Are people still using DX 4es or similar to fly the older 3 channel rxs? I must admit- the idea of going out to the field with a micro ship now seems to need a dedicated Tx- so it looks like I need another radio- or at least something to replace my DX 4e. Or is there a mechanical fix for the DXe?

TIA

Sam
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2019, 02:01 PM
hdowding
Quote:
Is there some non Specktrum rx that will work as 3 channels with rudder on the right stick?
Your best bet is probably the (Spektrum) PKZ 3352 receiver (used in the Champ and Ember):

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...p--j-3-pkz3352

It automatically gives you rudder on the right stick. Instead of paying the $50.99 HH new price, you might keep an eye out for one (or for a cheap Champ) on RCGroups Classifieds. But why do this if you already have some AR6400s?

Long term, I think you're better off ditching the DXe and getting a computer TX, like the DX6, with which you can program (on the TX) the rudder to the right stick. I resisted doing this because I'm a cheapskate, but now that I'm using mine, I wish I'd switched to the DX6 long ago. You gain a lot of flexibility plus the ability to easily set dual rates and expo. (Like too many HH manuals, the DX6 manual sucks. It doesn't say up front that you should create a new model before you bind it, for example. Instead it gives you, up front, a binding procedure which you really have no reason to use.)

(I think there's something to be said for getting used to rudder on left stick, since that's where it normally will be if you ever fly a plane with ailerons.)

I'm no expert and others may have better suggestions for you..

Harvey
Last edited by hdowding; Apr 22, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
Apr 22, 2019, 07:26 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Thread OP
Hi Harvey

Thanks very much- your response was helpful. Here are the problems that I see-
1) I'm assuming I've got PKZ3352 rxs and they don't work with the DXe. At this point, I can sigh and keep using the old DX 4 for these 2 rxs- one of which has a non working elevator servo anyhow. Well, I've got an airplane that should fly on rudder and throttle anyway.
2) I'm very tempted to ditch the DXe. I'm not crazy about the radio- I find it cumbersome to change control direction with the programming and it doesn't have an elevon function.
3) I don't mind upgrading to the DX6e if it would allow me to easily use the rudder servo on the AR6400 on the right stick. I'm not a cheapskate- but I was hoping to buy a simple radio to use with simple airplanes. I was quite happy with the DX4 until the pots began acting up. Note- I have a DX 7 too, it's a bit bigger and clunkier than I want when flying small airplanes in my cul de sac.
4) I've been flying awhile- quite used to ailerons. I want the primary turn control on the right stick with the elevator- if ailerons fine- but if a rudder only airplane- I want it on the right stick. Most people fly this way.

Thanks again,

Sam
Apr 23, 2019, 04:21 AM
hdowding
Sorry, Sam. I should have checked how long you've been on RCGroups before delivering beginner-level suggestions. But I do have a couple of possibly useful comments:

Quote:
one of which has a non working elevator servo anyhow.
That servo may just be binding. I've had luck just putting a few drops of isopropyl alcohol into the slot along which the servo control horn travels to flush out dirt/dust. If the servo then works, move the horn back and forth a few times to loosen things up. You probably already know this and have tried it--but just in case.

2. If you have a DX7, I can't see any reason to get a DX6 (the newer, DSMX one that came after the DX6e).

3. If what you want is a smaller transmitter, I have a few of the little ones that come with the Champ. Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll send you one. The stick feel is not great, but it's adequate.

Harvey
Apr 23, 2019, 11:11 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Thread OP
Hi Harvey

No worries- you're well intentioned and I didn't know the trick about freeing up the servo- will give it a try.

OK- I did give it a try- it was really stuck and I managed to shove the servo shaft beyond the motor gear. Now the motor won't stop spinning and I can't get the gears to mesh. Probably just need to cut one of the wires to the servo motor.

I haven't seen the way to make channel assignments on the DX7 I've got which is at least 6 years old by now. Plus, it's only got a 20 model memory and the reality is that I've pretty much filled them up. If the DX6e has better sticks and ergonomics, that might be a reason to upgrade along with the ability to assign rx channels.

Thanks for the offer of the smaller Champ style transmitters. I had one but it died quickly- which was why I bought the DX4e. Somehow the idea that some folks would want a 3 channel rx and a simple, reliable radio for them seems to have escaped Spektrum. The problem is that the AR6400s work with the DX4e- except that there's no way to get the rudder on the right stick. And the reality is that I have a lot more smaller airplanes that use rudder instead of ailerons, so I either resign myself to looking for Champ guts or spending more money on a 3 channel rx than a 6 channel- assuming you can even still get the 3 channel rxs.

Another option are mfgs like Lemon- buy the 6 channel rx, but then you have to buy a couple of servos and and an ESC and a bunch of the airplanes I've got have been designed for a brick. Doesn't mean that I can't make it work, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thanks again,

Sam
Apr 23, 2019, 01:18 PM
hdowding
Quote:
I haven't seen the way to make channel assignments on the DX7 I've got which is at least 6 years old by now. Plus, it's only got a 20 model memory and the reality is that I've pretty much filled them up. If the DX6e has better sticks and ergonomics, that might be a reason to upgrade along with the ability to assign rx channels.
I just took a quick look at the DX7 manual on line. I didn't realize that it's a DSM2, not DSMX transmitter. Despite my criticism of the DX6 manual, assigning channels seems a lot easier on the DX6 than on the DX7. My DX6 (not 6e) manual says (p. 14) that this transmitter has a 250-model memory. Not bad for $200. There's a new DX8, but if you won't ever need those extra channels, the DX6 seems like a decent buy, now that I've learned how to use it. Too bad it took me so long to break old (DX5e) habits.

Harvey
Apr 24, 2019, 05:30 AM
Or current resident
I have that same older DX7. I filled up the model memory quickly too.
What I did is created a mix in the Tx to slave rudder to aileron at 100%. Now the rudder is on both sticks.
Then I bind all similar models with the rudder/aileron mix to the same Tx memory. So I have over 6 models bound to a single memory slot.
Then I bought a new DX9 and don't have to bother with ruining out of memory slots. The DX9 is also really easy to program. The menus are in plain English and make sense, instead of the old way with a bunch of abbreviated stuff that you have no clue what it means.
Glenn

Quick Reply