Aug 23, 2019, 08:25 AM
Recreational Engineer
Thread OP

Name Plate

Made up a simple name plate to test the trophy shop idea. I chose a photographic process over engraving because it allows more design flexibility.

I gave then a plate of brass that I generally use and It kind of worked, but the image was a faint orange color. Normally they use thinner brass with a special coating. So that's what they did. The result is not bad - good resolution so I can layout a much smaller one. Since it's photographic it can be any shape and I can invert the image so the letters show as brass against a black background. I got 4 images on their plate for $8. I sheared them out and filed the edges.

I don't know how durable the image will be in the oily steam environment, Probably have to coat it with epoxy. For two bucks each they are not bad.
Last edited by Tom Harper; Aug 23, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 09:32 AM
looks great!!! shouldn't get to hot or oily on that side,, I would try a poly..
Aug 23, 2019, 09:40 AM
Recreational Engineer
Thread OP
Good suggestion, probably something I can get in a spray can.
Nov 09, 2019, 09:36 AM
Recreational Engineer
Thread OP

Second Engine

Completed a second engine using a cylinder and flywheel from the box I bought on Ebay. Made a stainless steel piston that is a bit longer than the original. The engine initially balked at running. I found the problem was with the tension spring touching the pivot screw. A little lathe work cleared it up and I changed the drawings for the future.

Running no load, on air, these engines are both slower than a stock heritage engine. I assume they have more friction due to closer tolerances and larger bearing surfaces. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference under load on steam.

Still working on the burner.
Last edited by Tom Harper; Nov 09, 2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply