This thread is privately moderated by TheMadCADer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 20, 2019, 12:45 PM
Always Building
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Mobula 7: quick thoughts from a former whoop hater

After almost exclusively flying 5in and 6in quads for the past few years and being disappointed by the power of early brushed whoops, I was finally convinced to try out a brushless whoop that I have been hearing a lot of good things about, the Happymodel Mobula 7. I’m not a fan of large walls of text, so I’m going to try to keep this concise. I’ll talk a bit about my thoughts and observations after 20 flights, then setup and modifications.

Initial Thoughts:

The box has a sticker on it that says Jan 23rd, 2019, which I assume is the production date.
My unit came with an F3 flight controller (stm32f303), though there are others who claimed that theirs came with an F4 flight controller, so you may be luckier than me

On initial inspection, the stock frame felt flimsier than the frame on my brushed e010. It is flexible though and has held up perfectly after quite a few tumbles. Not anticipating it to last this long, I ordered a v3 upgraded frame (the same one that comes on the Mobula7 HD and Eachine Trashcan).

The v3 frame feels more sturdy, but it is a few grams heavier. It also has little mounts for a light bar. Here’s a link to the often recommended v3 frame: https://www.gearbest.com/racing-fram...&lkid=20478565

I really like that the camera angle is adjustable and clicks into place.

Another point of interest are the four 1s HV lipos that come with the package. Using the included jumper cable will let you alternate between 1s (for indoor flying) and 2s via connecting two 1s lipos in series (for outdoor flying).
Note that batteries are 1s HV which means that their safe operating range is 3.8v-4.35v, rather than 3.7v-4.2v. This means that they’ll pack more of a punch than normal 1s lipos, but you should not run them down to 3.7v like you normally would.

The included usb charger can charge either 1s lipos (to 4.2) or 1s HV (to 4.35), but this must be selected by the user via a switch on the side. Others have reported that their larger multi-battery chargers overcharge, but my included charger stops at a healthy 4.33v in 1s HV mode.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how cool these tiny brushless motors are
(6mm brushed motor for scale)

(6364 245kv motor for scale)

After 20 Flights:

The Mobula 7 flies like a dream on its stock PIDs; it is super smooth and is very capable.

Its camera is also pretty crisp and clear overall (much better than the various Banggood AIO units I bought a few years back), but struggles in low light conditions.

This quad is very flyable for a new pilot on 1s. On 1s it is super tame and I could definitely fly this quad around the house and do flips if I’m careful.

Where the Mobula 7 really shines though is on 2s. The first time I throttled it up indoors, I almost hit the ceiling. If you insist on flying 2s indoors, you can limit the throttle response through your transmitter settings, but it’s more fun to just let it rip outside. While it’s no 6s race quad, you can definitely do power loops and fly fast.

The stock batteries are decent, but I’d definitely like to upgrade to something with a higher C rating. I would also like to try 300mah 2s HV packs in the future for longer flight times, so if you know any good ones, feel free to post below.

The beeper on this quad is a godsend! This thing is so easy to lose, due to its size. I’d HIGHLY recommend setting the beeper to a switch on your transmitter so you can quickly find your quad after an unexpected landing.

Once the replacement dvr for my goggles comes in, I’ll update this post with flight videos!

Overall, the Mobula 7 on 1s is a solid choice for beginners who have had some simulator experience (I like FPV Freerider), but it is loads of fun for seasoned pilots on 2s. It is under 250g so it doesn’t have to be registered with the FAA in the USA, and it pretty safe with its low weight and ducted propeller design.

TLDR: if you’re on the edge about buying a brushless whoop, TAKE THE PLUNGE! They’ve come a long way from when they were first introduced, and the Mobula 7 is a solid option.

Setup Tips:

***The best way to remove the propellers is by holding the bell with two fingers, then twisting the propeller off carefully with the other hand. Make sure you do not bend the motor shafts.

How to set VTX through Betaflight CLI (doing it through the VTX button doesn’t persist after shutdown):
set vtx_band = (1 through 5)
set vtx_channel = (1 through 8)
save
You can then verify that it worked by typing: get vtx_freq

Here are some screenshots of my Betaflight config:
Please note that I am using a Devo7e with 4in1 module (Deviation 5.0 firmware), so I bound using “Frsky” (not Frsky-V8 or FrskyX) in my transmitter’s settings with no issues.

For more tips, here’s a helpful RCGroups thread by @LittleFish: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post40818061

Mods?

After 20+ flights, I really like how this package was put together, so there isn’t much that I’d change.

Since I mostly fly outdoors, I will swap the connectors for xt-30 and buy some 2s lipos and this 200mw vtx (http://www.xt-xinte.com/Happymodel-W...dium=share_url).
If you have any good Lipo suggestions, let me know!

I also have the v3 frame, which I haven’t needed to swap in yet.
The stock frame is stronger than I thought. I’ve crashed it into a concrete wall and a few trees so far without anything more than a scuff.

In my opinion, the stock camera is sufficient.
I would not buy the Caddx eos2 “upgrade camera” that the Eachine Trashcan uses, due to its red tint/hue issue.
This page of the main Mobula 7 thread highlights this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post41432539

Where to buy:

From my search, the best prices I found for the Mobula 7 were from overseas (China) retailers.
I got mine from Gearbest, and it was delivered to the USA (from China) in about 10 days.

I got the non eu Frsky version, because I use a Devo7e with 4in1 module (Deviation 5.0 firmware):
https://www.gearbest.com/brush-fpv-r...&lkid=20478571

For my FLYSKY, DSM2/DSMX, and EU Frsky guys and gals:
https://www.gearbest.com/brush-fpv-r...&lkid=20478717

Obligatory Manufacturer Specs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brand Name: Happymodel
Model: Mobula7
Item Name: 75mm Wheelbase 2S Brushless Whoop FPV Racing Drone
Wheelbase: 75mm
Version: Basic Version / Standard Version (The difference between them is just the charger you get)
Basic Version: USB Charger
Standard Version: 6 - way Charger
Weight: 25.9g (without battery)
Crazybee F3 Pro Flight Controller:
Item Name: Crazybee F3 Pro FC
MCU: STM32F303CCT6 ( 72MHZ, 256K FLASH )
Sensor: MPU - 6000 ( SPI connection )
Board size: 28.5 x 28.5MM
Power supply: 1 - 2S battery input ( DC 3.5 - 8.7V )
Built-in 5A ( each ) Blheli_S 4in1 ESC Dshot600 ready
Built-in Receiver ( Different version having a different receiver )
Built-in Betaflight OSD ( SPI Control )
Built-in Current meter Max 28A
Current meter scale set to 1175
Built-in 5V 1A BEC with LC filter
Built-in voltage detection
BLHELI_S pass-through Ready
Heading LED Ready
Firmware
( Frsky version ) CRAZYBEEF3 PRO FR Firmware target: CrazybeeF3FR
( Flysky version ) CRAZYBEEF3 PRO FS Firmware target: CrazybeeF3FS
( DSM2 / DSMX version ) CRAZYBEEF3 PRO Firmware target: CrazybeeF3DX
( Frsky EU - LBT version ) CRAZYBEEF3 PRO FS Firmware target: CrazybeeF3FS
Onboard 5A 4 In 1 ESC:
Power supply: 1 - 2S LiPo / LiPo HV ( 3.5v / 8.7v )
MCU upgraded to EFM8BB21
Current: 5A continuous peak 6A ( 3 seconds )
Support BLHeliSuite programmable
Factory firmware: S_H_50_REV16_7
Default protocol: DSHOT600
Onboard Frsky NON-EU receiver Version:
SPI BUS receiver
Frsky D8 / D16 switchable
Compatible Non-EU transmitter both D8 and D16 mode
Channels: 8ch or 16ch
Failsafe support
No ground interference ( Transmitter and receiver 1 m from the ground ): 300m
Onboard Frsky EU - LBT Version
( External XM + receiver ):
Operating Voltage Range: 3.7 - 10V
Operating Current: 30mA 5V
Operating Range: Full range
With RSSI output on board: Analog 0 - 3.3V
Firmware Upgradeable, Default firmware EU-LBT with RSSI
SE0802 16000KV Motor:
Model: SE0802
KV: 16000KV
Configuration: 9N12P
Stator Diameter: 8mm
Stator Length: 2mm
Shaft Diameter: 1.0
Weight: 1.8g
Support 1 - 2S Lipo
No.of Cells: 1S Lipo
Propeller:
40mm 3 - blade Propeller ( 4 CW + 4 CCW )
5.8G VTX AIO Camera:
5.8G 40CH 25mW VTX
Output power: 25mw
Frequency: 40CH
Input voltage: 3.3V 5.5V
Current consumption: 300mA ( type )
700TVL FOV120 Camera
Camera resolution: 700TVL
Field of view: 120°
Video Format: NTSC
Antenna: RG178 antenna
Frequency: 5.8GHz 5bands 40 channels
With Raceland
Smart audio ready ( Frsky EU - LBT and DSMX version not compatible )
Lipo Battery:
Capacity: 250mAh
Voltage: 3.8v
Continuous Discharge Rate: 30C
Instantaneous discharge rate: 60C
Size: 55mm x 12mm x 7mm
Weight: 6.5g
Connector: PH2.0
Notes: Need 2pcs batteries for Series circuit
Features:
- New Crazybee F3 PRO Flight controller 1-2s Lipo compatible
- 2S whoop more powerful and more flight time
- Betaflight support , multi flight mode: ACRO / AIR / ANGLE
- New 0802 Powerful and High efficiency Brushless motor and Smooth ESC
- Smartaudio ready , change VTX bands, channels via OSD
DSM2 / DSMX and Frsky EU - LBT version are Serial - based receiver, so Smartaudio is not compatible.
- Adjust the settings and the PID of the flight controller via OSD
- Frsky Non - EU version support NON - EU Frsky transmitter D8 / D16 compatible
- Flysky version support both AFHDS and AFHDS - 2A protocol transmitter
- DSM2 / DSMX version support DSM2 and DSMX compatible spectrum transmitter
- Frsky EU - LBT version support Frsky EU - LBT firmware transmitter
- Full telemetry function ready
- Head lights ready
- Camera angle adjustable
- Real Bind and Fly version
- Buzzer Ready
Last edited by TheMadCADer; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply