May 21, 2019, 06:27 PM
------
Quote:
I'm headed to a control line event.....
You won't be disappointed, C/L racing is really intense!
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2019, 09:35 AM
I wish it wasn't so far. You might notice that the speed events are flown by only a few pilot whores. Once they go a certain speed it is hard to run that fast around the pylon. Most of the guys are pretty old now.
May 22, 2019, 09:55 AM
------

One of the few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
I wish it wasn't so far. You might notice that the speed events are flown by only a few pilot whores. Once they go a certain speed it is hard to run that fast around the pylon. Most of the guys are pretty old now.
Jean Magne is still flying F2A competitively well into his 80's
https://maconaero.wordpress.com/conc...eptembre-2014/
vol Jean Magne 275 km/h Saint-Etienne 28 septembre 2014 (1 min 24 sec)
Last edited by coriolan; May 22, 2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: add pic
May 28, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
I had an absolute blast at the NW C/L regionals.
The crank survived , even after "roaching" my best prop. The air was fantastic for a model event.
A lot of equipment failures, I learned so much. The material I used is A2. What a test ground. I believe the rc speed use is more rigorous for the engines. They have to run longer. There was no need for my worry about these cranks.
Last edited by toad007; May 28, 2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added comment
May 28, 2019, 10:24 AM
Glad the hard work paid off Toad!
May 28, 2019, 02:27 PM
Nitro User
That is good news to hear Mel, I glad the trip was fun for you!
Pic of one of the dog fights from the event

Last edited by 1/2A Nut; May 28, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Jun 01, 2019, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Here is how the weekend went for me.
I took 3 engines, mounted my best running one on a brand new Proto plane.
I had no intention of entering to compete, but what the hell.
Fired up for first run, 38600 rpm on a 4.312x31/4 my best prop. The air was perfect and I enjoyed a lot higher output than at 5100ft

On launch, the thing nosed over and roached the prop to a nub, crank over ran, but did not break. Next, Ken, my buddy, decided on using a 4.5x4 to slow it to around 35k
it turned 36k
Jerry Rocha just ran a 107 mph and was going to a larger prop, not more pitch
He then Posted 109 mph using a 4.5x3.5 . he launched that run at 34,500k It unloaded nicely and gave him a great run. Mine was up next, This time with big lumber for a prop, The plane did not want to fly, Poor ole Ken was flying it around with full up elevator trying to get it to step up and fly, It did not, instead it flew 65mph all flight, nose high, 2 ft off the ground. Later, Ken launched his CS that was screaming, only to get a 74 mph reading. He entered several other classes and struggled with glow igniters or starters etc, he had a rough day. I did not fly again as I did not have a proven model, I did however have the hottest engine there and I am looking forward to try this game again but with better equipment. I am so glad I did it as it was really different and a lot of fun. I think I may be able to break a 100 mph on my next try, I am building my own plane to use this time, I think I will need a pilot though as I am not sure I can spin like that and not puke. Aspeed willing?
It was such a fun event and I learned a lot about the game watching Jerry, He holds the record, I learned the launch is very important as you are timed from release, so you want the model to come out of the gate like a bottle rocket, hence more dia for the prop, Jerry ran 3.5 pitch on his best run. I think I could have got him running a bit less but way higher rpm, I will have to see if I can get near to his runs, He is such a great guy, he shares all his knowledge. He doesn't fly his own, he has a pilot. He has age related balance issues now.
There were 6 entrants, All ran Picco's except Ken, with his CS. I came in last and proud I posted. LOL
Last edited by toad007; Jun 01, 2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Jun 01, 2019, 10:12 AM
Nitro User
Do you have a pic of your plane odd it would not pickup and fly.
Wow - 38600 rpm on a 4.312x31/4

Jun 01, 2019, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser
Do you have a pic of your plane odd it would not pickup and fly.
Wow - 38600 rpm on a 4.312x31/4

That is what it needled at. I was very pleased with that.
Jun 01, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Those guys were all running 3.5 pitch
Fun game
I can see where a guy would want to run a 4 pitch in r/c
Jun 01, 2019, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
In 1/2a speed, they were running single blade props well over 4 pitch, but seems 5p was the limit there, In that game, pitch is everything.
Crazy obsessed people......
Jun 01, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
I need to find a 1/2oz plastic Visene type bottle for tank duties. Shorter runs.
Jun 01, 2019, 12:46 PM
Nitro User
Do you have a pic of the plane you used?

In 1979 a CL single blade 2.5x5 hit 127.1 mph with a Cox TD modified to 172 deg exhaust timing on 70% nitro.
The balsa wing used back then was a narrow around 23 sq. in / 14.5" span.

The need for speed can get one paying attention to all details it is a fun challenge.

Cox TD / 3ch is mine.
4 x 5 has allowed my TD .05 3ch to hit 143 mph pitch speed.
4.22x5.5 allowed 138 mph with better thrust. N III
4x5.5 never got tested / will with the smaller NX version 150 ish will happen.

15cc tank would be enough laps with a screaming engine unloaded at 46k
Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Jun 01, 2019 at 01:55 PM.
Jun 01, 2019, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
Here is how the weekend went for me.
I took 3 engines, mounted my best running one on a brand new Proto plane.
I had no intention of entering to compete, but what the hell.
Fired up for first run, 38600 rpm on a 4.312x31/4 my best prop. The air was perfect and I enjoyed a lot higher output than at 5100ft

On launch, the thing nosed over and roached the prop to a nub, crank over ran, but did not break. Next, Ken, my buddy, decided on using a 4.5x4 to slow it to around 35k
it turned 36k
Jerry Rocha just ran a 107 mph and was going to a larger prop, not more pitch
He then Posted 109 mph using a 4.5x3.5 . he launched that run at 34,500k It unloaded nicely and gave him a great run. Mine was up next, This time with big lumber for a prop, The plane did not want to fly, Poor ole Ken was flying it around with full up elevator trying to get it to step up and fly, It did not, instead it flew 65mph all flight, nose high, 2 ft off the ground. Later, Ken launched his CS that was screaming, only to get a 74 mph reading. He entered several other classes and struggled with glow igniters or starters etc, he had a rough day. I did not fly again as I did not have a proven model, I did however have the hottest engine there and I am looking forward to try this game again but with better equipment. I am so glad I did it as it was really different and a lot of fun. I think I may be able to break a 100 mph on my next try, I am building my own plane to use this time, I think I will need a pilot though as I am not sure I can spin like that and not puke. Aspeed willing?
It was such a fun event and I learned a lot about the game watching Jerry, He holds the record, I learned the launch is very important as you are timed from release, so you want the model to come out of the gate like a bottle rocket, hence more dia for the prop, Jerry ran 3.5 pitch on his best run. I think I could have got him running a bit less but way higher rpm, I will have to see if I can get near to his runs, He is such a great guy, he shares all his knowledge. He doesn't fly his own, he has a pilot. He has age related balance issues now.
There were 6 entrants, All ran Picco's except Ken, with his CS. I came in last and proud I posted. LOL
I would likely need a flyer for myself too. I did hold the Canadian 1/2A proto and speed record for a time. Senior. I was 17, so around 1975. Th proto class could use a full fuselage and monoline. I believe .014" diameter. The TD I used was using lots of nitro and the speed run was 82 mph and the same plane proto run was 78 mph. After a few years I got a CS on a profile proto like todays rules. I think it went around 80. I have since got that motor running much better but have not flown it for a long time as when the motor quits it spanks the ground real hard. It really needs a new plane and a place to fly. I quit FAI speed because I could not fly in the pylon at any good speeds over 140. Yes Jerry is a great guy.
Jun 01, 2019, 05:20 PM
Nitro User
049clspeedflight (0 min 42 sec)

Profi 049cc engine

24.7k at launch and many passes at 39k with a peak of 41,128 rpm

4X4 / 155.7 mph pitch speed

Quick Reply