May 06, 2019, 07:41 PM
Gas, Glow, Diesel & Kero!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
Here is a picture of my bench top. I straightened it up a lot for this. It needed it.
A picture of my obsessions..
Ahh at last I see a picture of the engine. I thought this was still available, but from the posts a few back these are no longer sold, right?

Thatís a cool project for sure.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2019, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
I think a few hoarders have most of em. I wonder what they will do with them
Im just goofin off with the ones I have.
May 18, 2019, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Here is a picture of the final product. I thought I should show these.
May 18, 2019, 10:53 AM
Wow. Have you considered offering a conversion service?

I have some of your parts on two of mine, finding the time to both make engine parts and build airplanes is hard to come by. The worst part of adulthood is trying to come back to things you wanted to do when you do get time..... I remember some awesome threads about how to build ass-kicking norvels but when I tried to find the info on RCU it was gone.

I always envisioned my Piccos being used on a Q200 type airplane because they are heavier and the Q200s have short noses. Kind of a cart before the horse problem, gotta have the engine ready to justify the project...
May 18, 2019, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
I have considered doing conversions. I really dont think there is much demand. A lot of work goes into these but they scream when done. It seems each engine needs a custom build though. It;s not like making a dozen parts and they will fit each case. Im finding issues that dont really allow that. Im working on it though. I forgot about the ole Norvel stuff, Too bad that info wasn't stored on RCU. Id like to review that myself. Back to the Picco, the issue I have now with them is the head button, seems each one needs a different compression ratio. I have three with 3 different compression settings to get them to spin over 30k. The same with the Turbo plugs. Seems each engine needs a different setup. Dang that costs in time and fuel to sort out. Almost not worth it. If I wasn't trying to get one set up for 1/2a proto I would have not even tried the Nelson plugs in them. Very glad I did though. I could build a few more but I would need the engine to do so. Sending parts out would just disappoint the customer as it takes a bit to get it altogether so it is not a turd when finished.
I believe I solved the weak crank issue though, I am proud of that.
May 18, 2019, 11:55 AM
I would certainly be interested in buying a custom crank or two, that would allow me to actually run my engines.

The other mods I can mostly do on my own, but the crank is out of my capabilities...
May 18, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
I plan on making a few sets up with the rear bearing for those that already have a case that is bored to clear the 8mm crank.
I can and will do that after the speed trials next weekend. If these dont break there, they wont break anywhere I figure. Maybe they un load more in an RC enviroment, Im just not sure. I'll feel better about selling these parts after this up coming contest.
May 18, 2019, 03:13 PM
Nitro User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser
5-40 studs? I am down for two setup's Mel, I have two still in a shipping box never opened.
Another two with broke cranks.
Per post #8 I am down for two cranks and 2 rear bearings.

May 18, 2019, 03:25 PM
Lol-I’ll wait to see if he’s happy, then pester him!
May 18, 2019, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
LOL, One of ya shoulda been a grinder, this would be more fun then.
May 18, 2019, 05:34 PM
Nitro User
I am sure they will end up working great under field testing and don't mind paying for the non fun process to get these out.
If we can honor Mel's hard work with some flying vids it will be the icing on the cake. I will put one on the NANO III and vid on
a clear sunny day. Think there was 4 of us interested thus far counting John.

May 18, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
LOL, One of ya shoulda been a grinder, this would be more fun then.
I can run the hell out of a surface grinder and offset whirly... itís the part where Iím spending that much time on a Government Job at work that would be the issue...
May 21, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
I can run the hell out of a surface grinder and offset whirly... itís the part where Iím spending that much time on a Government Job at work that would be the issue...
That would be an issue, the last place I worked had a manual hone with ALL the stones and arbors.. So tempted to use it on company time.. Dang I wish I had that hone.
May 21, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
I'm headed to a control line event, I haven't got much to post right now. I'm excited, I have never seen this stuff before except on YouTube.
Y'all should try to attend, Im sure it will be great fun.
May 21, 2019, 06:26 PM
Nitro User
Vid some of it for us who are too far away =)

Quick Reply