Jun 12, 2019, 10:30 AM
Nitro User
The last time I built a CL plane was like 7 yrs. ago with a TD .020 , I have 6 CL planes currently.

Any pics of those planes or yours?

Red X shows the roll out to flight distance over short grass with a
self launching system. Not bad for a TD .020 sport design / 80.6g RTF with 25ft lines.
Has a throttle sleeve for calm weather pavement flying / lower noise.

to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2019, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
I do need to take a picture of the proto plane. Ill do that and post in the c/lc section so they can re design it in their own minds. It is like Jerry said, Lots of folk say how they can beat him, but ya gotta enter. So now my goal is just to enter and see if I can get over 100mph, then I will see if I can get his record for a day or two. Ill move that topic over to c/l, Im just fooling around with all this.
In the rc applications for this engine, I am already well over 100mph. so I got side tracked some but it is
all a blast.
Jun 12, 2019, 12:48 PM
Nitro User
Yea post a link to the thread I will enjoy checking it out.
Jun 13, 2019, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
here is a picture of my humble little proto plane like promised, still some work to do. I need to mount the landing gear.
weight here at this point is 5.4oz
Jun 13, 2019, 10:27 PM
Nitro User
Ah lovely Mel good looking speed ship.
What is the wing span and estimated squares?
Won't take much to tame the wing loading with that wing!
Jun 14, 2019, 04:42 AM
Thread OP
That wing is 50sq" and the span is 22".
A bit bigger than min, this one is a trainer and test bed plane. When I get serious, I have another design in mind after I learn to fly these
Jun 14, 2019, 06:51 AM
Nitro User
Perhaps two 4mm nylon bolts to swap out wing sizes during testing days.
Jul 04, 2019, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
here is a picture of my humble little proto plane like promised, still some work to do. I need to mount the landing gear.
weight here at this point is 5.4oz
Are you taking it to the Nats?
Jul 05, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
No, this one is my trainer, to teach me tricks of flying speed etc. I have to learn how to get in a pylon etc.
RC is easier for me dealing with these engines. If I were to go to the nats, I would have a young guy fly it . I am not sure I can spin that fast for 10 -20 laps and not puke. They say it is easy enough to train to do it. Easier to mount em on an RC and not puke in the beginning I hope
Last edited by toad007; Jul 05, 2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Jul 06, 2019, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad007
No, this one is my trainer, to teach me tricks of flying speed etc. I have to learn how to get in a pylon etc.
RC is easier for me dealing with these engines. If I were to go to the nats, I would have a young guy fly it . I am not sure I can spin that fast for 10 -20 laps and not puke. They say it is easy enough to train to do it. Easier to mount em on an RC and not puke in the beginning I hope
I think that there only 2-3 guys who actually fly them at the Nats. They stay busy.....
Jul 06, 2019, 12:37 PM
Joey Matheson and Chris Montageno seem to be the pilot whores. They are the young guys. Probably 60. I quit a long time ago when I found I could not keep up. I could fly out of the pylon no problem though. Pretty sure I still can. I am still a pilot whore for racing, not sure how much longer. Bad feet, and trouble handling the heat. Need slower planes?
Jul 06, 2019, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
Joey Matheson and Chris Montageno seem to be the pilot whores. They are the young guys. Probably 60. I quit a long time ago when I found I could not keep up. I could fly out of the pylon no problem though. Pretty sure I still can. I am still a pilot whore for racing, not sure how much longer. Bad feet, and trouble handling the heat. Need slower planes?
I would love to do it.

Quick Reply