Discussion

BitsyLED

Name: icon_512.png
Views: 7
Size: 29.1 KB
Description:
BitsyLED

BitsyLED Preview (1 min 7 sec)

I created this as part of a Paramotor built and thought it would be nice to configure different light sequences, etc. I expanded the entire software to be more open.

BitsyLED is a minimal firmware to drive RGB LED’s (WS2811, WS2812, NeoPixels, etc). It’s designed for anything RC but also can be used for other projects including Christmas lights, Lego’s, or even your real car.

BitsyLED is divided into two parts: The Firmware and the Configurator. The firmware can be run on most Arduino compatible boards and I also created a dedicated board (see below) that is targeted primarily for RC purposes.

The Configurator is designed for Chrome however I learned too late that Google has dropped support for Chrome Apps. You can still install the Configurator as unpacked extension and use it that way.

There is still a little bit work to do but in general it's usable and I am using it in a couple planes and builds.

Name: screen_0.png
Views: 19
Size: 283.5 KB
Description:
Name: screen_1.png
Views: 17
Size: 245.4 KB
Description:

At the moment I don't offer the board directly but you an order a copy on Oshpark. Please visit my GitHub below as I will keep this one updated.

You can get the latest here: https://github.com/flyandi/BitsyLED

Name: 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190426194719016_COVER.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 532.7 KB
Description:
Name: 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190415111319119_COVER.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 241.1 KB
Description:
Name: 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190415111513839_COVER.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 557.1 KB
Description:
Thanks,

Andy
Last edited by flyandi; Apr 26, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2019, 07:21 AM
Great project! I've already ordered the PCB v1.1 from OSH Park and installed the configurator 0.5.0 successfully on a Windows 10 laptop. Still waiting for the electronic components to start building the first DIY lighting project for my r/c models!
Andy, thank you very much for sharing this fantastic project! Looking forward for further improvements to add additional functionality (i.e. 'flickering' option to simulate afterburners for my jets).
Last edited by Ecstacy; Apr 25, 2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Just updated from release 0.1.0 to 0.5.0 without any issues!
Apr 26, 2019, 02:30 AM
Thread OP
Configurator 0.6.0 and Firmware 1.1 is released.

- Configurator bug fixes and some changes in the UI
- Firmware introduces time-based mode
- Firmware is now fully Arduino board compatible (tested on Pro Mini)
Apr 26, 2019, 01:48 PM

Thanks!

Already updated the configurator to release v0.6.0 and successfully flashed an Arduino Pro Mini with the firmware v1.1
Apr 27, 2019, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
New BitsyLED board v1.2 is released.

It's slimmer, has a status LED now and comes with new SMD solder parts for more flexibility.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/GW6rcqF8
Apr 28, 2019, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Featured on Hackaday.com .. https://hackaday.com/2019/04/28/a-ch...ring-rgb-leds/
Apr 30, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Another rev - more cleaned up board: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/B3IAiNyH
May 01, 2019, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
The BitsyLED Configurator 0.6.2 is released which includes the presets library for an easier start.

Also did some bug fixes that were annoying like disappearing ranges, etc.

Download the latest release at https://github.com/flyandi/BitsyLED/releases/tag/v0.6.2 for your platform.

If you have the app already installed, you don't have to worry and the update will be installed automatically.
May 02, 2019, 03:39 PM
Hallo Flyandy,

vielen Dank für dieses schöne Projekt. Der Nachbau funktionierte zunächst nicht, ich bekam die Chrome-Erweiterung nicht zum laufen, kein Wunder.
Mit der Installationsdatei funktionierte es dann gleich bestens.

Schön, das so mit der Communty zu teilen .

Gruß, Bussard2Falke

BitsyLED1 (0 min 47 sec)
May 02, 2019, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Very cool! Love it.
May 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thread OP

Board 1.2.1 and Firmware 1.03

New BitsyBoard's have arrived... Updated the firmware with status led support.
May 25, 2019, 11:51 AM
Hello Andy,

After a few days I didn't get access to the Arduino Nano anymore to change the flashing patterns. It always got stuck at "connecting", the button to flash no longer appears.
A 2nd Arduino (also with old bootloader) could be programmed 1x, then the same behaviour.
In the meantime I had updated to version 0.6.2, but also uninstalling and installing the 0.6.0 version didn't help.
I was looking for the bug, but today I read from another user with exactly the same problem.

Do you have any idea why that might be?

Many thanks in advance
Bussard2Falke
May 25, 2019, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Interesting. Can you post this issue on my github please. I keep a track of issues there.

The UI probably has nothing to do with it - it's more the firmware. So is that happening after you left in on for a while or after fresh boots ?

Can you reference the other user who has that issue please?

Thanks!
Jun 11, 2019, 05:54 PM

Help with Configurator

Hi Andy!

GREAT project! I'm having a bit of trouble with the configurator, though... I ran the BitsyLED.exe from the following link:
https://github.com/flyandi/BitsyLED/releases/tag/v0.6.2

The setup went fine. However, when I ran the Configurator, the screen is cut off.
For Example.. If I select the Airplane (RC), then the Configurator screen appears; however, it's truncated. The TOP of the screen only shows as high as "Navigation". It's cut off above that. It's also cut off below "Serial Port". I can't see the selection box for Serial Port. I CAN tab to it, but I can't see it.

I installed on Windows 7 64 bit, then realized that probably isn't supported. Then I installed on my son's Windows 10 machine and it did the same thing. Please help, I'd really love to get this running! Thanks in advance!

Jon G.

Quick Reply