Thread Tools
Apr 18, 2019, 01:28 PM
Registered User
clipper's Avatar
Thread OP
Question

Butterfly kite to plane- anyone worked this before?


I picked up a butter fly kite that I would like to convert to a prop powered electric plane. I知 wondering has anyone attempted this?
I will mount the kite on yellow 5mm foam board and use Elevons for control. I知 hoping 5 degree of dihedral will provide enough directional control so rudder is not needed and add realism while in flight.

I値l make it first without the motor and battery in place and add weights to simulate the motor and battery for test glides to find the best CG. I知 hoping to be able to be able to mount the motor on the nose and use a clear or yellow prop. With any luck, it will still be in good enough condition to mount the motor and battery and do some initial test flights.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2019, 02:06 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper
I picked up a butter fly kite that I would like to convert to a prop powered electric plane. I知 wondering has anyone attempted this?
I will mount the kite on yellow 5mm foam board and use Elevons for control. I知 hoping 5 degree of dihedral will provide enough directional control so rudder is not needed and add realism while in flight.

I値l make it first without the motor and battery in place and add weights to simulate the motor and battery for test glides to find the best CG. I知 hoping to be able to be able to mount the motor on the nose and use a clear or yellow prop. With any luck, it will still be in good enough condition to mount the motor and battery and do some initial test flights.
There's an RC Groups forum for RC kites : https://www.rcgroups.com/rc-paragliders-and-kites-723/

A common way to make a kite RC is with thrust vectoring : where the motor/prop can pivot left/right for yaw control , and up/down for pitch control . I did that with this delta kite :


RC thrust vector kite (1 min 55 sec)



You can make your own thrust vector unit , or you can buy one : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...5c4745b59VzNkn
Apr 22, 2019, 06:50 AM
Registered User
davereap's Avatar
kites also here
.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-night-fliers
Apr 27, 2019, 05:36 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Timbo383's Avatar
Clipper, the butterfly idea sounded cute for a plane so I did some experimenting with some scrap foam. I cut one out "sorta resembling" a butterfly for a test glider, I kept increasing the weight in the nose with small chunks of lead till I got it to float instead of flipping. Ended up making it a V-tail also to give it a more stable flight. Not surprisingly I had to use alot of weight to balance the CG....almost the weight of the plane, but it did glide good. Just be ready if you're laminating the kite to the foamboard you're may need alot of dead weight up front to fly good.
May 02, 2019, 09:58 AM
Registered User
clipper's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Clipper, the butterfly idea sounded cute for a plane so I did some experimenting with some scrap foam. I cut one out "sorta resembling" a butterfly for a test glider, I kept increasing the weight in the nose with small chunks of lead till I got it to float instead of flipping. Ended up making it a V-tail also to give it a more stable flight. Not surprisingly I had to use alot of weight to balance the CG....almost the weight of the plane, but it did glide good. Just be ready if you're laminating the kite to the foamboard you're may need alot of dead weight up front to fly good.
Yes I知 finding the same thing, after run thru with Ecalc, I found all the weight will have to be at the nose. I really like your idea, I should do a half size test glider to check everything out. I知 hoping a little dihedral will keep it stable. I expect I will have to make butterfly 塗ead larger/longer than normal to push the motor out away from the body. The good thing, this will allow for a larger prop.

Last night I cut up the butterfly kite and glued it to the foam. After a lot of experimenting I settled on 3M 77 spray glue on the foam for foundation and GAF Kwik Seal Plus clear on the kite nylon material for the actual attachment.
May 02, 2019, 10:18 AM
Registered User
clipper's Avatar
Thread OP
The chief disadvantage of the DAP is how long it takes to set and the good thing is the long working time, I had plenty of time to reposition and work out the wrinkles. The DAP also has really good adhesion. It actually stronger than the super 77. I should say, the super 77 to the foam.
Last edited by clipper; May 02, 2019 at 10:33 AM.
May 02, 2019, 10:30 AM
Registered User
clipper's Avatar
Thread OP
Balsa or Carbon
Just checked your video, I can see why you like the vectored thrust- impressive.
May 02, 2019, 02:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
So you are making a foam plane and decorating it with the kite ? That'll work .
RC Groups member marblekit ( Albert Kim ) did that with a dragon kite on a Simplest Simple Delta , it looks good . ↓


Red Dragon Maiden Flight (5 min 44 sec)




Red Dragon "On Steroids" (2 min 19 sec)
May 02, 2019, 05:38 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Timbo383's Avatar
Clipper, the biggest problem that I can see you might have is not using any kind of vertical stabilizer. I did put some dihedral in my chuck glider but it still needed the stability of the v-tail to keep it from yawing real bad. Another option would be to add...I think they were called split flaps to aid in that department. GPW did a simple A-12 flat version with them and I think he had good luck with it....I need to go back and find the thread. Here some pics of it that I had saved in the computer.
May 03, 2019, 10:46 AM
Registered User
clipper's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Clipper, the biggest problem that I can see you might have is not using any kind of vertical stabilizer. I did put some dihedral in my chuck glider but it still needed the stability of the v-tail to keep it from yawingr.
Thanks Timbo, a very valid point and I have not yet figured out or what I知 going to do about it. The forward facing wing tips are going to make longitudinal stability even harder to achieve without some kind of vertical stab or dihedral. Anyone have a idea how much dihedral Would be required to achieve effective longitudinal stability? Smaller the better from an aesthetic point of view.
Last edited by clipper; May 06, 2019 at 11:53 PM.
May 03, 2019, 01:02 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper
Thanks Timbo, a very valid point and I have not yet figured out or what I知 going to do about it. The forward facing wing tips are going to make longitudinal stability even harder to achieve without some of vertical stab. Anyone have a idea how much dihedral Would be required to achieve effective longitudinal stability? Smaller the better from an aesthetic point of view.
You could use twin-motors/differential-thrust and a flight stabilization system to stabilize pitch , roll & yaw . That's what this guy did for a flying rectangle of foam without dihedral or a vertical fin :



Gyro Stabilized Flying Rectangle - RCTESTFLIGHT (5 min 58 sec)
May 03, 2019, 03:41 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Timbo383's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
You could use twin-motors/differential-thrust and a flight stabilization system to stabilize pitch , roll & yaw . That's what this guy did
Hmmmm, modern technology, that's a better way then old school. Just don't tell GPW, he's old......school.
May 03, 2019, 04:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Hmmmm, modern technology, that's a better way then old school. Just don't tell GPW, he's old......school.
For me : the primary goal in this hobby is flying fun ...... doesn't matter how you get there or what methods/technology/tools you use . And variety makes things more interesting and challenging ( if you enjoy a challenge ) .
May 03, 2019, 04:33 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Timbo383's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper
The forward facing wing tips are going to make longitudinal stability even harder to achieve without some of vertical stab.
That's what I was afraid of when I did my chuck glider, so I swept the wings back some when I made it. I would say cut a notch in the back and do the same for yours but you already glued it to the foamboard.
May 06, 2019, 05:40 AM
gpw
gpw
典here痴 no place like Foam
gpw's Avatar
Here痴 one we did some time ago It was a good Slow flier pretty simple Regretfully the original site with the plans has disappeared But you can see how simple it is , and we still have the original drawing around here somewhere.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=flutterby+gpw
Latest blog entry: Lost plans


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Anyone seen this before? What is this stuff?!?! Alalaheyoo Power Systems 4 Nov 17, 2016 03:58 PM
Discussion Does anyone design planes in a simulator before building them? zovirl Modeling Science 11 Jan 07, 2016 11:02 PM
Discussion Has anyone seen or flown this F16 before? ltc Large EDF Jets 6 Dec 28, 2015 10:43 PM
Anyone build or seen this plane before? bildo baggins Parkflyers 2 Mar 02, 2005 09:10 PM
Anyone heard of this plane before: Hellraiser?? flying4fun 3D Flying 7 Jul 04, 2004 10:16 AM