This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 17, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Mini Surfer 800 ( Part 1 ) First look ...

Mini Surfer 800 sent for review by Banggood.com

AF Link - https://www.banggood.com/custlink/mDDGrhd0ma ... to product page

The opening bout weigh in

I thought it might be interesting to weight the mini surfer to see what sort of weights we are dealing with .

Fuselage = 50.4 grams
Tail ( Ele / Rud ) = 12 grams
Wing = 82 grams
Motor Pod ( Motor / ESC / POD ) = 71.4 grams

All those were individually weighed for a total off = 215.8 grams
Now if I assemble the fuse / wing / tail I get 144 grams and adding the pod returns some 212.5 grams ...
Yeah , that's a few grams Variance there .

I am really impressed with the weigh in less the motor / pod / esc .... Hmmmm , 71.4 grams is a little weighty ..
Even the wing @ 82 grams is a little sturdy ..

My first impressions are that the Mini 800 is well moulded and all the parts fit well together .
I dont think I can bring it in under 250 grams flying weight ..
There would be some serious dieting required to meet the new Libnazi RC rules that will be shoved down Australians throat's shortly .
Oh , for all those Australians , don't forget NOT to vote for the people that want to kill your hobby ! ( )

The Mini 800 just arrived , and the first thing I am going to do is run up the motor / ESC / prop combo as it came in the kit to see what sort of power / current / thrust we are looking at ...

UPDATE !

3s / 5x5 prop ( included ) / 15.7 Amp ( peak ) recorded .. Average is in the 14 to 15 amp range .. ( Depending on the battery voltage )
Now my tachometer decided to stop working , ..
How ever on 3s the thrust was serious ...

2s Same prop etc .. 8.5 amps .. And the average seemed to be around 8.4 to 8.5 amps ..
I would say the Mini 800 would fly on 2s

On 3s the ESC got barely warm while the motor stayed cool ,
so I would say that the motor is some what under prop'ed as I did run it @ 100% on 3s for a while .. Might be something to explore . like maybe a 3 blade ?

On 3s there is a abundance of power , and certainly the potential for even more thrust ..
Certainly something to check into if you want to run 2s , might want to load up the motor with more prop .
Maybe even a smaller 12A ESC ? if you plan on 2s ...

Wow , I only have 2 Pair of 5x3x3 blade props ...
And on 2s I saw some 5.15 amp peak current draw ... ( Hmmm , a 5x4x3 or a 5x5x3 )
Still , that 3 blade should push the Mini 800 around and only pull 5 amps ...
That means , a smaller battery and less weight ..
Well , lets not jump too far ahead ..

Part 2 - Motor ESC install
Last edited by old4570; Apr 18, 2019 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply