This thread is privately moderated by CGordon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 17, 2019, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Teak/Balsa Experiment

I wanted to try a darker hardwood and much thinner balsa than the last experiment. This time it is 1/16" balsa with teak veneer. The strips were glued with yellow glue and pressed overnight to dry. The teak was surfaced down to just a few thousandths on each side.

Next, a strength/weight test. I cut a very narrow strip and a wider strip of balsa of about the same weight. The balsa was slightly heavier and slightly stiffer, but I'd say these were fairly matched. No question that the teak was doing the work of carrying the tension and compression loads nicely.

There's probably a geometry of teak/balsa which exceeds plain balsa, but hard to optimize at this tiny scale.

I love the look of teak and I could create a slab fuselage with this technique that would look really cool. Tail pieces too. And I've proven I can do this without a weight penalty (especially if factoring in a lack of covering material).

As always, fun experiments with little need to have a practical application.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2019, 10:51 PM
Entropy is happening!

Pauwlonia.

I have been using Pauwlonia as a balsa substitute succesfully in recent builds.
I have sometimes used it with .6 mm Basswood ply facing.............also very good for facings etc.

I don't know if this relates to your Teak trials, but thought I should mention it.

Jim.
May 28, 2019, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Jim, I missed your reply. I have some paulownia and have struggled a bit more than I thought to find an application for it. It came at a time when I was really realizing the advantages of dissimilar materials in a sandwich. It seemed it was too dense for the center but too weak for a skin. Paulownia as the middle with basswood must be very strong!

Sure is fun experimenting with various materials.
May 28, 2019, 08:00 PM
Entropy is happening!

Spacewalker..........mostly Pauwlonia.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-build-thread

Quick Reply