Apr 24, 2019, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
So, I realize a lot happened between the last pics and these.. Basically, I primed and sanded the fuse and cleaned it up. I also did the same with the wings. You can see the flaps and Ailerons in place, though not attached yet. I have it laid out here in our spare room so I could see it better. In the second pic, I created the fairings/Fillets..not the easiest thing to do. I mixed cabosil (microballoons) in with epoxy resin into a paste...and basically spread it along the fuse fairing.. It's still rough here, but basically, it's the same prime sand prime sand routine.
Last edited by erospawn; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2019, 09:36 PM
Play that funky music right
Cabosil and microballoons are not the same thing. Cabosil is a brand name also known as fumed silica is a thickener but it is very hard when mixed with epoxy. Microballoons sands pretty easy. I guess I just don't want anybody to by fumed silica thinking it will sand easy.

Ken
Apr 25, 2019, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
Cabosil and microballoons are not the same thing. Cabosil is a brand name also known as fumed silica is a thickener but it is very hard when mixed with epoxy. Microballoons sands pretty easy. I guess I just don't want anybody to by fumed silica thinking it will sand easy.

Ken
It is a thickener. It does sand , may be not as well as microballoons. At least I've not had a problem with it. I also have a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. Either way, it worked for this application.
Last edited by erospawn; Apr 25, 2019 at 03:33 PM.
Apr 25, 2019, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
It is a thickener. It does sand , may be not as well as microballoons. At least I've not had a problem with it. I also have a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. Either way, it worked for this application.
Perfect! Maybe I did something different????? Mine did not sand well. Carry on !!!!

Ken
May 01, 2019, 08:53 PM
I have plans and plastic for the Platt 109. I still need the retracts. How much did the Shindin set cost you?

carl
May 01, 2019, 08:55 PM
I have plans and plastic for the Platt 109. I still need the retracts. How much did the Shindin set cost you?

carl
May 06, 2019, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover

carl
Wasn't cheap... $455.
May 06, 2019, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
So, here's the wing with the gear mounted. You can see the Ailerons, flaps and split flaps in relation to the gear etc. I decided to set the wing up with the gear attached and just check to see if looked right and check wing incidence and dihedrel..I think it looks right... I checked with an incidence meter and it looks good there too. I have all that stuff wired now too.

In order to get the servos for the flaps inside the wing, I couldn't use hitec 645's. I ended up using Hitec Mighty Mini's for the flaps and split flaps. I hope that's ok.. I am using the 645mg's standard servo for the elevators.
Last edited by erospawn; May 06, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
May 06, 2019, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
And here's where I am at... I am actually just a tad bit further along than this now. I just wanted to see the fit of the wings to the fuse and see if everything looks right.. I think it's looking pretty good here. I cut out the gun trenches in the front cowling...and I have some cowl details and those large "bubbles" that go over the gun ports, I think that's what they are.. they attached now, just no pics yet.

I am the point where I need to make my cowl, but I am in a bit of dilemma. I could just wax and pva up the nose, lay some glass and call it good.. but it wouldn't fit cleanly..it would be slighty oversized and the gun trenches would be lost.. not to mention having to finish out the whole thing.. So, in order to do it properly, you really need to make a two-part mold... then lay up a cowl for it. It's not that hard to do.. but, now I am wondering if I should just make a mold of the fuse too. Again, it wouldn't be difficult to do at all...but If I'm going to go that route, then I may as well as detail it out too...And thus, I think I am starting that point.

As for the wings, it would be nifty to make a mold of those too....but, I would have to remove the control surfaces in order to do it right.. then If I ever needed new parts because of a mishap... then I could just lay new wings, one wing or fuse and go from there. Seems like a good idea..but then, what's the probability of needing to do so....Not super high...but it could happen..Motor could quit.. and this year the farmer planted Tobacco... if the motor quits and you have to belly land, but can't make a sharp turn...then its into the tabacco plants.. They don't get hurt..but they will tear your plane to crap and back....So...there is that.
Last edited by erospawn; May 06, 2019 at 02:51 PM.
May 06, 2019, 08:24 PM
Someplace on RCG somebody described making a soam positive of a cowl. I think he used pink or blue foam. Then plaster, no Hydrocal was pored over it to make a mold. No special prep of the foam. After curing the mold was waxed and used as a mold. This may have been in the compositis section of RCG??? I most likely do not have all the details correct.

Ken

Quick Reply