This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 16, 2019, 07:32 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

UC4H: Gimbal flight test

I am relieved to find that with the gimbal attached the Son of FrankenSolo flies just as well as without the gimbal. I am disappointed to find that the logs once again not available. So I can't compare the power usage and determine if it is within the "C" limits of the battery. I am pretty confident that it will be fine but I am not going to do a flight time test until I know for sure. I am not willing to let the battery fail half way through the test.

I started out on this journey in 2012. I knew nothing about RC and RCGroups.com was pretty intimidating. I could not believe how many forums about so many different RC vehicles there were. I wanted to do an abstract photography portfolio that I needed an aerial view to do. I got a delta wing kite kit that was and is a very nice plaform but I needed to hover rather than fly to get what I wanted. I gave up until I saw an article about the new DJI Phantom in late 2013. I got excited about it like everyone and his brother. Until I realized it could only carry a gopro. But that was the beginning. I built my first DJ450 afterward. The first flight it shot up about 40ft and came tumbling down out of the trees out of control. It took me a full 4 months to figure out that the pitch in mission planner radio cal moved the opposite of every other stick if setup correctly. I built a dozen more aircraft over the years. I have a drawer full of half finished gimbals.

So this is a significant point for me. Only took me 6 years and a LOT of reading on RCGroups to get here.

Many thanks to the generous members that spend their personal time helping others all over the world to better enjoy this endeavour.

So here is the maiden flight of the Son of FrankenSolo with it's STorM32NT gimbal attached. I really don't have any way of evaluating the video. I have never gotten video this good to critique. It is not perfect but at this point I am not sure what is due to the camera or my older computers playing it or gimbal. It really does not matter because it is the best I have ever gotten.

Son of FrankenSolo a 3DR Solo conversion with UC4H UAVCAN (0 min 53 sec)
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply