Jan 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
Thread OP

Gym-Blu X2

Inspired by Gene Bond's Gym-Blu and his Quote "And surely, some nut will try a Bipe version "

20" x 7" wings, 2mm depron
CF tube fuse
X-tail, 3mm depron
4.8 oz AUW
incidence adjustable from 0 to 6 deg.
Last edited by ldammann; Jan 29, 2005 at 10:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
0 deg
Jan 29, 2005, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
6 deg
Jan 30, 2005, 02:06 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
That is really cool! I had thought about doing a bipe stick plane but hadn't thought of running the stick through a central cabane like that. What a great idea!
-Rick
Jan 30, 2005, 02:09 AM
Have you flown this thing yet? I'm wondering how well that X tail works. This thing is giving me a lot of new ideas .....
-Rick
Jan 30, 2005, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Colby

I'm wondering about the tail also. Hope to find out today in a small gym.

Lee
Jan 30, 2005, 09:47 AM
Crash Master
I'm impressed! How are you fixing the stick in position on the wing?

It's all a lot of drag, but given enough power, it should fly nice and slow!

I think the tail will do fine, at least it does in my foggy head this morning (1st cup of coffee after a long indoor event last night)
Jan 30, 2005, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Gene

I just put depron wedges in the back to hold an angle. Like this. Off to test fly. I'll try to get some bad vidio with my digital camera if it flys.
Jan 30, 2005, 09:03 PM
Thread OP

It Flys!

And flys quite well. Learned something today that is an advantage of the X-tail.
Will try to post some bad AVI's if they aren't to big.
Jan 30, 2005, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Nope, too big. Darn.

How small does an attachment have to be? They are between 1 and 2 meg.

How do you post a vid?
Last edited by ldammann; Jan 30, 2005 at 09:10 PM.
Jan 30, 2005, 10:15 PM
I. Nice design, I haven't really ever cared for the v tail but the X- tail is very Sweeet.
You are another true craftsman, that put some design thought into that one. I'm envious of your Depron and would be interested to see you design some more. D.
Jan 30, 2005, 10:44 PM
So both sections of the x-tail move? Wow, that's cool. Great job.

To post your video you'll have to get it put it in the gallery, then link it here.
Eagerly awaiting!
Jan 30, 2005, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
How do I get them put in the gallery?
Jan 30, 2005, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Ok, I think I figured it out. Vids in my gallery. Sorry for the poor quality, its just a digital camera.

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=29041

meowmix
Yes, both surfaces move. I think it helps keep the tail from twisting the CF tube I'm using. I built a standard v-tail Gym-Blu with the same CF tube and the tail twists so bad it won't turn right. I think with surfaces above and below the tube, instead of a larger surface all above the tube, it cuts down on the twist.
Or maybe I just don't know how to fly!
Jan 30, 2005, 11:43 PM
Hmm, I've built 2 different sized stick planes using a carbon fiber tube fuse and they both fly awesome! What size carbon tube are you using? I built a small one of Gene Bond's BluStik with a 4mm carbon tube fuse, and a large 40" span stik using a 6mm carbon arrow shaft. Maybe your problem has to do with the foam flexing... you used 2mm depron on this one, what size foam did you use on the gym-blu? I built a gym-blu using 3mm sliced blue foam and it was too flimsy to fly. The wing warping was soo bad immediately after take off it would go crazy and snap into the ground.
-Rick

Quick Reply