Apr 15, 2019, 06:24 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP
New Product

Seeking Jet-x Plane Designers

Seeking Jet-x Free Flight Plane Designers

If you have a knack for designing and building cool free flight model planes, we've got a deal for you!

We are relaunching Jet-x (Jetex) solid fuel jet engines and planes and we are looking to expand our squadron of Jet-x powered model plane kits.

If you send us your great flying Jet-x design, we'll offer it as a kit on our website (www.Jet-x.us) and will pay you a 20% sales commission! (for a limited time, blah, blah, details to follow).

Just drop me a note at [email protected]

We’re getting ready to announce a crowd funding campaign to help us launch the new Jet-x planes and engines – you can sign up to be notified when we launch here: https://mailchi.mp/259ae114f84c/jet-x
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2019, 07:42 PM
///////
What are the performances like, how big are the "Falcon" and "Wren"?
Apr 15, 2019, 08:27 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP

Jet-x Falcon and Wren Specs

The "Falcon" is based on a traditional free flight glider and has about a 16" wingspan.

The classic "Wren" is a little larger with about a 18" wingspan - the "Super Wren" is even larger.

The "J-1" engines produce thrust for about 12-15 seconds.

You can see more info including a video gallery at the website www.Jet-x.US

which includes a link to the Jet-x YouTube Channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZp...ftInbZVzItV90Q
Apr 16, 2019, 07:58 PM
B for Bruce
This is highly happy news indeed ! ! ! ! !

Not so much for the design comp but instead the idea of bringing out rocket motors with long run times at lower thrust values.

Any guesses as to the cost per motor at this point?

The downside to your offer for designs is that it's tough to design, build and actually TEST FLY the model when no motors are available. Well, at least other than as a glider.

Motors that run would be needed by the designers to use and adjust the thrust lines to avoid unwanted aerobatics/crashing before the design could be considered as "proven" and thus able to be kitted with any reasonable degree of potential success.
Apr 16, 2019, 09:06 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your great feedback!

"it's tough to design, build and actually TEST FLY the model when no motors are available"

Correct!

We will provide aircraft designers with some prototype engines for evaluation and flight testing, to "avoid unwanted aerobatics/crashing " (wait - isn't that half the fun? ;-)

We worked out an agreement with the manufacturer for them to produce a few small batches of engines for evaluation. But understandably they are looking for a larger order to justify committing the required resources. So we will be launching a crowd funding campaign to pre-sell some engines and kits.

We thought it would be a good idea to crowd source some plane designs too!

Please drop me a note at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss more.
Apr 16, 2019, 10:57 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
..... to "avoid unwanted aerobatics/crashing " (wait - isn't that half the fun? ;-)
Well, the aerobatics part can be....
Apr 18, 2019, 09:11 PM

Yeah Jet-X

I built this little guy a wile back hoping some body would make a Jet-x type product. For now I have been hand launching it into gentle slope lift. It is a great little free flight glider. I would love to light it off. Good luck with your product. I will buy it!
Apr 18, 2019, 11:15 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP
Hi DF,

That's a sweet jet!
Thanks for posting pics.

I would be happy to send you some new Jet-x engines so you can test fly it.
(But you have to promise to post pics!)

Please send me your contact info to [email protected]
Apr 18, 2019, 11:20 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP
Hi DF,

That's a sweet jet!
Thanks for posting pics.

I would be happy to send you some new Jet-x engines so you can test fly it.
(But you have to promise to post pics!)

Please send me your contact info to [email protected]
Apr 19, 2019, 03:16 PM

Thanks

I sent a PM to your E-mail address. looking forward to trying your engines. I don't know any one that built models in the 60's and 70's that didn't want to be a jet pilot!
Apr 24, 2019, 07:05 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
So they are one-light disposable solid fuel rocket motors?

They are therefore much more akin to the erstwhile Rapier motors, rather than the original Jetex of the 50s or the Jet-X motors produced by Powermax from 1990 until around 2009, which were both steel-bodied units with replaceable fuel pellets.

Although I feel that the name being the same as the recent(ish) Powermax products may lead to some confusion, I wholeheartedly applaud the intention to produce a Rapier-type product! My experiences with the original Jetex were not wholly satisfactory, whereas more recent use of Rapiers was a whole lot more fun. I think I may even still have two or three Rapiers in my modelling room somewhere.....

Good luck chaps, and if it comes to fruition I think you will have a ready market on both sides of the Atlantic!
Apr 24, 2019, 05:50 PM
Steve Neill
Jetx this is great news. I built this Aerograhics X-1 back 8 years ago now. My late wife gave me the kit for Christmas. I have the starter still and it still lights.

I was going to build more and design my own but when Rapier stopped sending the motors to the states I gave up. This X-1 except for glide tests has never been flown under power.

I would love to test the motors, give a report on 4K video and in pictures. I own a film studio in Ventura California so I'm well equipped. You can visit my studio site here: www.steveneillgarage.com and also my FAC site: https://theventuramodelaviators.home.blog/

You are opening up a whole new era of fun!!!
Apr 28, 2019, 08:05 PM
Jet-x.us Founder
Thread OP
John,

Thank you for your kind words of support, and posting the pics of your beautiful Bell X-1 (it even says "Glamorous Glennis"). Really fantastic job.

I would be happy to send you some prototype motors (there is a waiver required), please email me directly at [email protected]
Apr 29, 2019, 09:51 AM
Steve Neill
Thanks Chris I'll send you an email.
Apr 29, 2019, 11:48 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
I take it that's the Richard Crossley / Aerographics X-1? I built one of those too - apart from being a great flier, it was a right enjoyable build!!

Quick Reply